PC booting up but wont go through with the log in screen

jmsn

I jus lt reformatted my pc and now it wont go through the log in screen it boots up but wont go through. I tried to reseat  the ram and gpu still nothing just booting but not going through the log in screen im on windows 11. It goes to the blue recovery screen tried to reformat the pc twice still the same results. What is the problem need help thanks

4 minutes ago, Supersonicwolfe said:

Have you tried startup repair? 

Yes it said cant repair

2 minutes ago, jmsn said:

Yes it said cant repair

I would say try do a fresh install from a USB stick.

Try find a friend, library or PC repair shop and ask them help you create a Windows installation stick.

23 minutes ago, jmsn said:

I jus lt reformatted my pc and now it wont go through the log in screen it boots up but wont go through. I tried to reseat  the ram and gpu still nothing just booting but not going through the log in screen im on windows 11. It goes to the blue recovery screen tried to reformat the pc twice still the same results. What is the problem need help thanks

By reformatting, what do you mean? Resetting windows?. If this is the case, I recommend reinstalling windows from scratch.

To do this:

1. Make a Windows Install USB by using the Windows media creation tool on another device and a spare USB drive.
  2. Boot from the USB Stick
  3. Select your language
  4. Click Install Now
  5. Enter product key or Press "I don't have a key"
  6. Agree to terms.
  7. Select Custom install
  8. Select all the partitions for the drive with windows on and delete them
  9. Select the empty drive for install
  10. Proceed with installation
  11. Fin.

More info can be found here > https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1039507/

Link to W11 Install creator > https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows11

I edit my messages often. Please refresh for the latest message.

I am not always on the same thread. Tag or Quote me to get my attention.

Remember to Mark the solution to help others in the future.

SFF

CPU: R7 3700x

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix x570-i

RAM: Corsair vengeance 64GB 3200MHz CL16

Cooler: Asetek 645LT

GPU: MSI GTX 1070 AERO

Case: Dan Case A4

Storage: 2TB Sabrent (PCI-E 3.0) - Windows

Storage: 1TB Crucial P5 Plus (PCIE 4.0) - Fedora

Storage: 1TB Samsung 860 EVO (SATA) - Steam

1 hour ago, JenjerBread said:

By reformatting, what do you mean? Resetting windows?. If this is the case, I recommend reinstalling windows from scratch.

To do this:

1. Make a Windows Install USB by using the Windows media creation tool on another device and a spare USB drive.
  3. Select your language
  4. Click Install Now
  6. Agree to terms.
  7. Select Custom install
  11. Fin.

Link to W11 Install creator > https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows11

Thanks this what i ended up doing just made a bootable usb 

6 hours ago, JenjerBread said:

To do this:

3. Select your language
  4. Click Install Now
  6. Agree to terms.
  7. Select Custom install
  11. Fin.

The thing is now it boots up fine in to the home screen but when i install the gpu drivers it comes back to the black screens again i am using a 3070

10 hours ago, jmsn said:

The thing is now it boots up fine in to the home screen but when i install the gpu drivers it comes back to the black screens again i am using a 3070

I just want to make sure, do you only have 1 monitor plugged in?

It sounds like GPU could be faulty. do you have a spare GPU you can test with? if it works with another GPU, retry with the RTX 3070. If it stops working again. Then you might want to RMA if its new. otherwise you might be out of luck if you've had it a while 😕 

You can try booting with both GPUs in the PC and then using the not RTX 3070 one for display output, go to device manager and see if there is a warning/error symbol under display adapter for the RTX 3070. If it says Code 43, that's not a good sign. 

You can also try installing a version of the drivers that's a bit older rather than the latest to see if that helps. Maybe a version that you remember worked on your system?

SFF

4 hours ago, JenjerBread said:

I just want to make sure, do you only have 1 monitor plugged in?

It sounds like GPU could be faulty. do you have a spare GPU you can test with? if it works with another GPU, retry with the RTX 3070. If it stops working again. Then you might want to RMA if its new. otherwise you might be out of luck if you've had it a while 😕 

You can try booting with both GPUs in the PC and then using the not RTX 3070 one for display output, go to device manager and see if there is a warning/error symbol under display adapter for the RTX 3070. If it says Code 43, that's not a good sign. 

You can also try installing a version of the drivers that's a bit older rather than the latest to see if that helps. Maybe a version that you remember worked on your system?

It was the vertical gpu mount that was messing with the system even after the clean install of windows but when I plugged the gpu directly everything was okay. thanks for the help.

5 minutes ago, jmsn said:

It was the vertical gpu mount that was messing with the system even after the clean install of windows but when I plugged the gpu directly everything was okay. thanks for the help.

That's good to hear!

Is your riser cable only rated for PCI-E 3.0? That could be the reason why. If you want to try again with the riser, set the PCI-E link speed in the BIOS to 3.0 and test again.

Otherwise well done! 😛 

SFF

23 hours ago, Supersonicwolfe said:

I would say try do a fresh install from a USB stick.

Try find a friend, library or PC repair shop and ask them help you create a Windows installation stick.

yeah a kid in my class had the same problem, I showed him how to re-install windows and he said that fixed it.

4 minutes ago, JenjerBread said:

That's good to hear!

Is your riser cable only rated for PCI-E 3.0? That could be the reason why. If you want to try again with the riser, set the PCI-E link speed in the BIOS to 3.0 and test again.

Otherwise well done! 😛 

Yeah it is I got the one from cooler master. Thing can't figure out was it was running fine before I did the latest driver update and I always update the driver whenever I see there is a new update. I was gaming on it since I think 6 months ago.

Just now, jmsn said:

Yeah it is I got the one from cooler master. Thing can't figure out was it was running fine before I did the latest driver update and I always update the driver whenever I see there is a new update. I was gaming on it since I think 6 months ago.

Well things tend to work until they don't. The driver update probs altered something that meant it would try and use PCIE-4.0 in desktop which is strange but there we have it.

The riser can only handle PCI-E 3.0 signals and since PCI-E 4.0 signals require better isolation to prevent interference within the riser. The GPU couldn't understand the signals and just showed black screen to you.

Set your PCI-E to 3.0 speed or get a PCI-E 4 riser to fix the issue. RTX 3070 won't saturate the entire PCI-E 3.0 bandwidth so you don't need to worry about losing performance.

SFF

On 4/26/2023 at 3:27 PM, jmsn said:

That certainly can cause problems. I had problem with early ASUS x670E-F motherboard BIOS where I have to manually set PCIe link speed from Auto to PCIe4.0 on a 4080...