Fibre ONT to Router via Ethernet Faceplate/Wallplate

rhanson

I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this so please feel free to redirect.

I have an Openreach ONT (UK, I think it is a Nokia G-010G-R). I recently had a new Cat6 RJ45 cable installed to run upstairs and it terminates as a faceplate so I can reposition my broadband hub. However when I plug the cable into my ONT and then my hub WAN port into the faceplate via another Cat6 cable I get no internet connection.

Both the hub and the ONT show all the expected LEDs to suggest no issues. However, if I plug the ONT directly into my hub WAN (downstairs) then use a LAN port for the new cable I can plug any device into the faceplate upstairs and the internet connection is fine.

The cable has been tested and all 8 channels appear to be fine both pre and post the faceplate.

Any ideas as to why I can get a LAN connection through the cable but not a WAN connection? The cable run is about 5 meters.

So this Nokia --> CAT6 to Wan Port Openreach - works 

And this Nokia --> CAT6 to Wall --> Cat6 from Wall --> Wan Port Openreach - does not..  

The issue can either be one of the 2 CAT6 cables, the cable in the wall or (most likely) the 2 female ends the wall cable is terminated on.  It may not be terminated properly..   Whoever installed the cable, did they test it?   When you use it as a LAN port do you get the full 1gbit or 100mbit?

Since you are dealing with a 5 meter run at 1gbit speeds, CAT6 should have no issues, even cat5e will work.

11 minutes ago, Allan B said:

So this Nokia --> CAT6 to Wan Port Openreach - works 

And this Nokia --> CAT6 to Wall --> Cat6 from Wall --> Wan Port Openreach - does not..  

The issue can either be one of the 2 CAT6 cables, the cable in the wall or (most likely) the 2 female ends the wall cable is terminated on.  It may not be terminated properly..   Whoever installed the cable, did they test it?   When you use it as a LAN port do you get the full 1gbit or 100mbit?

Since you are dealing with a 5 meter run at 1gbit speeds, CAT6 should have no issues, even cat5e will work.

The cable was definitely tested (farther-in-law who is an electrician fitted it) and I watched it being tested.

Via LAN i get my max download speed and my link speed is still 1 Gbps.

To confirm the pathways in your design:

Nokia --> CAT6 to WAN --> CAT6 from LAN through wall --> faceplate --> CAT6 to end device. This works.

Nokia --> CAT6 through wall --> faceplate --> CAT6 to WAN ‐‐> CAT⁶ from LAN to end device. This does not work. But indicator LEDs suggest no issues.

So the 'not working' path has two CAT6 cables coupled before reaching the hub - that is the only real difference.

For the connecting CAT6 cables I've tried all the ones I have in the house so I can confirm it is not relating to them. 

1 hour ago, rhanson said:

I'm not sure if this is the best place to post this so please feel free to redirect.

I have an Openreach ONT (UK, I think it is a Nokia G-010G-R). I recently had a new Cat6 RJ45 cable installed to run upstairs and it terminates as a faceplate so I can reposition my broadband hub. However when I plug the cable into my ONT and then my hub WAN port into the faceplate via another Cat6 cable I get no internet connection.

Both the hub and the ONT show all the expected LEDs to suggest no issues. However, if I plug the ONT directly into my hub WAN (downstairs) then use a LAN port for the new cable I can plug any device into the faceplate upstairs and the internet connection is fine.

The cable has been tested and all 8 channels appear to be fine both pre and post the faceplate.

Any ideas as to why I can get a LAN connection through the cable but not a WAN connection? The cable run is about 5 meters.

Do you have the PPPoE login details?  You could try plugging a PC into the socket upstairs and using Windows setup a "dialup" connection choosing BroadBand (PPPoE) as the connection type.  This would at least verify you can talk to the ONT correctly from that socket.

Although given it works with the routers LAN port its very odd it isn't working directly into the ONT, especially if the link lights are lit up.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

21 minutes ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Do you have the PPPoE login details?  You could try plugging a PC into the socket upstairs and using Windows setup a "dialup" connection choosing BroadBand (PPPoE) as the connection type.  This would at least verify you can talk to the ONT correctly from that socket.

Although given it works with the routers LAN port its very odd it isn't working directly into the ONT, especially if the link lights are lit up.

I agree, the link between Nokia and ONT device shouldn't matter if it was 1 cable, or 3 cables through a wall plate..  So i have to assume it is the connection.  maybe one of the faceplates is defective?  

When in your not working state, if you log into the router, what does it say about the WAN connection? Is it up? connected at 1gpbs?

17 minutes ago, Allan B said:

I agree, the link between Nokia and ONT device shouldn't matter if it was 1 cable, or 3 cables through a wall plate..  So i have to assume it is the connection.  maybe one of the faceplates is defective?  

When in your not working state, if you log into the router, what does it say about the WAN connection? Is it up? connected at 1gpbs?

When I try logging in to the router it just times out.

Do you think I should try get on a support call with my ISP (Vodafone/BT) or do you think maybe speaking with Openreach (ONT provider) would be a better directed approach?

I'll see how expensive a crimp tool is to great my own male terminal with the wires in the faceplate to see if it is the faceplate or if there is something else.

I'm wondering if the resistance going through the faceplate is too high as I don't think the ONT is rated for PoE - the signal might be strong enough to register a connection to the internet but the connection link is too weak to be usable.

3 hours ago, rhanson said:

When I try logging in to the router it just times out.

Do you think I should try get on a support call with my ISP (Vodafone/BT) or do you think maybe speaking with Openreach (ONT provider) would be a better directed approach?

I'll see how expensive a crimp tool is to great my own male terminal with the wires in the faceplate to see if it is the faceplate or if there is something else.

I'm wondering if the resistance going through the faceplate is too high as I don't think the ONT is rated for PoE - the signal might be strong enough to register a connection to the internet but the connection link is too weak to be usable.

If the connection to the router is timing out then the problem isn't the connection between the ONT and router.

Are you plugging directly into the router LAN port when this happens?

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

Thanks all.

It turns out the faceplate is faulty. If I hit the connection in exactly the right spot I get data transfer as expected in any configuration. If I'm slightly out I can still get LAN and WAN detection but no connection back to the ONT via WAN.

I'm guessing maybe some of the pairings are loose.

I appreciate the quick responses.