Windows Boot Trouble

Go to solution Solved by FI Fheonix,
6 hours ago, FireLegend said:

How bout this?

Watch it, see if it works for you.

Hello!

Ever since I installed windows 11, when I boot up as I had win 10 on my hdd and win 11 on my ssd it always brings me up a prompt saying if I want to boot into windows 10 or 11. In my bios my ssd is the 1st in the boot sequence and is but waits 30 seconds for me to decide which version of windows I want to boot into but automatically after the timer boots into wins 11, luckily! So I was wondering if there's a way to get rid of that prompt and just boot to the first storage device in the boot sequence (my ssd) and always come back to windows 10 when I want to a different way or smthn. Right now my hdd is just being used to store files and pictures.

Many Thanks, Fire!

14 minutes ago, FireLegend said:

Hello!

Ever since I installed windows 11, when I boot up as I had win 10 on my hdd and win 11 on my ssd it always brings me up a prompt saying if I want to boot into windows 10 or 11. In my bios my ssd is the 1st in the boot sequence and is but waits 30 seconds for me to decide which version of windows I want to boot into but automatically after the timer boots into wins 11, luckily! So I was wondering if there's a way to get rid of that prompt and just boot to the first storage device in the boot sequence (my ssd) and always come back to windows 10 when I want to a different way or smthn. Right now my hdd is just being used to store files and pictures.

Many Thanks, Fire!

Steps to disable boot menu prompt:

1. Press Windows key + R to open the Run dialog box.
  2. Type “msconfig” and press Enter.
  3. In the System Configuration window, click on the Boot tab.
  4. Under Boot options, select your desired OS from the list.
  5. Check the “Make all boot settings permanent” option.
  6. Click on Apply and then OK.

Note: After you do these steps your PC will automatically boot into whatever OS you selected without showing the boot menu prompt. If at any time you need to switch between different OS you can just restart option in win 11 to get to the boot menu.

Have you tried turning it off and on again? Maybe Restart it? 

Please make sure to Mark the Solution as a Solution.

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I could be just about wrong as I am right.

Main RIG

13600K (Undervolted) +MSI Z690 Edge Wi-Fi+ Team Elite 32gb RAM (3200) +Noctua Nhd-15 Chromax Black+ Intel 670p 1TB SSD+ Intel Arc A770+ Corsair Crystal 465x case+ EVGA SuperNOVA 650W PSU.+ ASUS VP222 Gaming Monitor

Laptop for School: Surface go 2 (sucks ass)

Laptop for tinkering: Dell Inspirion 3358

Audio: Apple Airpods Pro (1st Gen)

(Apple_reigns_ supreme_ forever_ and_ ever)

(I am 15 years old and don't know shit about fucking shit.) 

Everyone must suffer one of two Pains: The pain of Discipline or the pain of regret and disappointment.

-Jim Rohn

8 minutes ago, FireLegend said:

first storage device in the boot sequence (my ssd) and always come back to windows 10 when I want to a different way or smthn

Most likely the windows bootloader is not installed on your ssd. This will happen if you left your hdd connected when installing windows 11 to your ssd. 

The work around is to either use

1 hour ago, C2dan88 said:

Most likely the windows bootloader is not installed on your ssd. This will happen if you left your hdd connected when installing windows 11 to your ssd. 

The work around is to either use

I did install wins 11 with my hdd connected ill check it out! Cheers

1 hour ago, FI Fheonix said:

Steps to disable boot menu prompt:

1. Press Windows key + R to open the Run dialog box.
  2. Type “msconfig” and press Enter.
  3. In the System Configuration window, click on the Boot tab.
  4. Under Boot options, select your desired OS from the list.
  5. Check the “Make all boot settings permanent” option.
  6. Click on Apply and then OK.

Note: After you do these steps your PC will automatically boot into whatever OS you selected without showing the boot menu prompt. If at any time you need to switch between different OS you can just restart option in win 11 to get to the boot menu.

I'll try that first actually, thanks!

50 minutes ago, FireLegend said:

I'll try that first actually, thanks!

How did it go?

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I could be just about wrong as I am right.

Main RIG

13600K (Undervolted) +MSI Z690 Edge Wi-Fi+ Team Elite 32gb RAM (3200) +Noctua Nhd-15 Chromax Black+ Intel 670p 1TB SSD+ Intel Arc A770+ Corsair Crystal 465x case+ EVGA SuperNOVA 650W PSU.+ ASUS VP222 Gaming Monitor

Everyone must suffer one of two Pains: The pain of Discipline or the pain of regret and disappointment.

-Jim Rohn

11 minutes ago, FI Fheonix said:

How did it go?

I'll get back to you in an hour or so I was just looking for solutions. Sorry, but I'll definitely say if it worked or not, thanks buddy!

Just now, FireLegend said:

I'll get back to you in an hour or so I was just looking for solutions. Sorry, but I'll definitely say if it worked or not, thanks buddy!

No problem, Just let me know when...

Main RIG

-Jim Rohn

3 hours ago, FI Fheonix said:

No problem, Just let me know when...

Hey thanks for the suggestion dude, umm but yeah obviously I ran into a problem with windows lol. When I pressed make all boot devices permanent it just get unticking it after I restarted the machine. Any suggestions why?

2 minutes ago, FireLegend said:

Hey thanks for the suggestion dude, umm but yeah obviously I ran into a problem with windows lol. When I pressed make all boot devices permanent it just get unticking it after I restarted the machine. Any suggestions why?

Here are some steps to solve that. Open Admin Command Prompt type: bcdedit /set {current} bootstatuspolicy ignoreallfailures" then press enter. Then restart your PC. This command will disable the boot menu prompt and automatically boot into your preferred OS without showing the boot menu prompt. Let me know if this solves your problem.

Main RIG

-Jim Rohn

5 minutes ago, FI Fheonix said:

Here are some steps to solve that. Open Admin Command Prompt type: bcdedit /set {current} bootstatuspolicy ignoreallfailures" then press enter. Then restart your PC. This command will disable the boot menu prompt and automatically boot into your preferred OS without showing the boot menu prompt. Let me know if this solves your problem.

Thanks dude! I'll try that tommorow. I really appreciate u for helping and waiting for me to try your tips!

1 minute ago, FireLegend said:

Thanks dude! I'll try that tommorow. I really appreciate u for helping and waiting for me to try your tips!

Anytime, I am always happy to serve. I have had multiple times where my PC has had problems so I know what it feels like. 

Main RIG

-Jim Rohn

3 minutes ago, FI Fheonix said:

Anytime, I am always happy to serve. I have had multiple times where my PC has had problems so I know what it feels like. 

Haha cheers mate!

21 hours ago, FireLegend said:

How's it going?

Main RIG

-Jim Rohn

1 hour ago, FI Fheonix said:

How's it going?

I am quite worried now, when it says 'permanent' does this mean I can uncheck this box and it will bring the prompt back up the same it was before this? Sorry but I'm quite confused with this lol 😂

1 hour ago, FireLegend said:

I am quite worried now, when it says 'permanent' does this mean I can uncheck this box and it will bring the prompt back up the same it was before this? Sorry but I'm quite confused with this lol 😂

No worries! When you check the “Make all boot settings permanent” option in the System Configuration window, it will save your changes to the boot settings. This means that your PC will automatically boot into whatever OS you selected without showing the boot menu prompt. If you ever want to switch between different OS, you can just restart your PC and use the boot menu to select a different OS.

If you ever want to bring back the prompt, you can simply uncheck the “Make all boot settings permanent” option in the System Configuration window and click on Apply and then OK. This will restore the original boot settings with the prompt.

Main RIG

-Jim Rohn

24 minutes ago, FI Fheonix said:

No worries! When you check the “Make all boot settings permanent” option in the System Configuration window, it will save your changes to the boot settings. This means that your PC will automatically boot into whatever OS you selected without showing the boot menu prompt. If you ever want to switch between different OS, you can just restart your PC and use the boot menu to select a different OS.

If you ever want to bring back the prompt, you can simply uncheck the “Make all boot settings permanent” option in the System Configuration window and click on Apply and then OK. This will restore the original boot settings with the prompt.

Gosh sorry for me being a pain in the [  ] thanks man! Tommorow ill do all the steps and get back to you. Thank you very much for being this patient 

Just now, FireLegend said:

Gosh sorry for me being a pain in the [  ] thanks man! Tommorow ill do all the steps and get back to you. Thank you very much for being this patient 

No problem, Good Luck.

Main RIG

-Jim Rohn

17 hours ago, FireLegend said:

Let me know how it goes!

Main RIG

-Jim Rohn

5 hours ago, FI Fheonix said:

Let me know how it goes!

Alright so... 😅 

I tried doing this and still won't work. When I typed bcdedit /set {current} bootstatuspolicy ignoreallfailures I remember it saying something along the lines of the operation was successful. At that moment I restarted my machine. I went back to msconfig pressed on the Boot tab and it still didn't apply. I restarted my pc ,as it told me to, and still no luck. Got anymore suggestions 🤣 Sorry dude!

11 minutes ago, FireLegend said:

Alright so... 😅 

I tried doing this and still won't work. When I typed bcdedit /set {current} bootstatuspolicy ignoreallfailures I remember it saying something along the lines of the operation was successful. At that moment I restarted my machine. I went back to msconfig pressed on the Boot tab and it still didn't apply. I restarted my pc ,as it told me to, and still no luck. Got anymore suggestions 🤣 Sorry dude!

NO problem, Try these steps, If they don't work, let me know and I will do some more research.

1. Try running Command Prompt as an administrator and then type “bcdedit /set {current} bootstatuspolicy ignoreallfailures” again. Then restart your computer and check if it worked.

2. Try disabling fast startup by following these steps:

• Open Control Panel
    • Click on Power Options
    • Click on Choose what the power buttons do
    • Click on Change settings that are currently unavailable
    • Uncheck Turn on fast startup (recommended)
    • Click on Save changes
    •  

Main RIG

-Jim Rohn

1 minute ago, FI Fheonix said:

NO problem, Try these steps, If they don't work, let me know and I will do some more research.

1. Try running Command Prompt as an administrator and then type “bcdedit /set {current} bootstatuspolicy ignoreallfailures” again. Then restart your computer and check if it worked.

• Open Control Panel
    • Click on Power Options
    • Click on Save changes
    •  

Alright cheers! I'll try that too thanks man!

3 minutes ago, FireLegend said:

Alright cheers! I'll try that too thanks man!

Let me know how it goes...

Main RIG

-Jim Rohn

16 hours ago, FI Fheonix said:

• Open Control Panel
    • Click on Power Options
    • Click on Save changes
    •  

Okay I tried all these and yes I had fast startup on and tried the command which ignores the failures with the boot tab but obviously with windows it still won't let me apply it after restarting. Still got another suggestion 🤣 Cheers!