Changing the RGB on my CPU fan.

SomeUsername

Hi. I hope you are having a wonderful day so far. So recently I wanted to change my cpu fan colour to a different one (not rainbow) so I started to research and I found nothing. Im not familiar with configuring RGB properly since this pc is a pre-built. Also I have 3 other chassis fans that are controlled by my Case IO, but that doesnt change the CPU fan colour. Is there any way to change it? Specs are down below. Thanks in advance!

CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Spectrum 
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5500
MOTHERBOARD:  ASUS PRIME B450-PLUS 
RAM:  2 x 8 GB DDR4 3200 MHz Team Group T-Force Vulcan TUF 
SSD:  500 GB SSD M.2 NVMe Kingston NV2
CASE:  COUGAR DUOFACE RGB 
PSU:  600 W COUGAR VTE 600  
NOTE: I cannot open the pc, because of warranty.

11 minutes ago, SomeUsername said:

Hi. I hope you are having a wonderful day so far. So recently I wanted to change my cpu fan colour to a different one (not rainbow) so I started to research and I found nothing. Im not familiar with configuring RGB properly since this pc is a pre-built. Also I have 3 other chassis fans that are controlled by my Case IO, but that doesnt change the CPU fan colour. Is there any way to change it? Specs are down below. Thanks in advance!

Have you tried the Asus Armoury Crate software? If it's connected to your RGB header on the motherboard, it may be possible there.

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/14Utilities/ArmouryCrateInstallTool.zip?model=PRIME B450-PLUS

11 minutes ago, SomeUsername said:

if they are all rgb fans and use the headers try and install some software like either asus armory crate like @Naijinsaid or install some third party software like signal rgb

Message me on discord (bread8669) for more help 

Current parts list

CPU: R5 5600 CPU Cooler: Stock

Mobo: Asrock B550M-ITX/ac

RAM: Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 3200mhz Cl16

SSD: P5 Plus 500GB Secondary SSD: Kingston A400 960GB

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X

Fans: 1x Noctua NF-P12 Redux, 1x Arctic P12, 1x Corsair LL120

PSU: NZXT SP-650M SFX-L PSU from H1

Monitor: Samsung WQHD 34 inch and 43 inch TV

Mouse: Logitech G203

Keyboard: Rii membrane keyboard

Damn this space can fit a 4090 (just kidding)

12 hours ago, filpo said:

if they are all rgb fans and use the headers try and install some software like either asus armory crate like @Naijinsaid or install some third party software like signal rgb

Armory crate did nothing and didnt even detect my motherboard. Signal rgb also didnt work. I guess im stuck with the fan like that. Thank you though!

13 hours ago, Naijin said:

Have you tried the Asus Armoury Crate software? If it's connected to your RGB header on the motherboard, it may be possible there.

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/14Utilities/ArmouryCrateInstallTool.zip?model=PRIME B450-PLUS

Nope, no luck at all. Didnt even detect my mobo. Thank you for trying though!

3 hours ago, SomeUsername said:

Another program you could try is openrgb

https://openrgb.org/

4 hours ago, SomeUsername said:

Armory crate did nothing and didnt even detect my motherboard. Signal rgb also didnt work. I guess im stuck with the fan like that. Thank you though!

Did you also have Aura Sync? Apparently that’s Asus’ RGB software.

https://www.asus.com/campaign/aura/us/download.php

There’s a standalone version where you don’t need Armory Crate, but it won’t be supported for much longer, so you’ll need to use it with Armory Crate in future anyway.

Might be worth trying the standalone version to test it out…(uninstall your copy of Armory Crate first)…

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/14Utilities/Lighting_Control_1.07.84_v2.zip

10 hours ago, Ralfi said:

Did you also have Aura Sync? Apparently that’s Asus’ RGB software.

https://www.asus.com/campaign/aura/us/download.php

There’s a standalone version where you don’t need Armory Crate, but it won’t be supported for much longer, so you’ll need to use it with Armory Crate in future anyway.

Might be worth trying the standalone version to test it out…(uninstall your copy of Armory Crate first)…

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/14Utilities/Lighting_Control_1.07.84_v2.zip

That also didnt work. Im pretty sure i cannot change it. Thing is I cant even change the colour of the motherboard still.

10 hours ago, Neggy-Z said:

Another program you could try is openrgb

https://openrgb.org/

No luck. Still not controlling any sort of RGB on the pc. At least the motherboard is detected, but still not changing the colour. It changed my mouse colour though,

8 hours ago, SomeUsername said:

That also didnt work. Im pretty sure i cannot change it. Thing is I cant even change the colour of the motherboard still.

I'm not familiar with the Prime series, but if it has similar BIOS, you may be able to see an option at the top of the basic screen for Aura. Check what it's set to. 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

On 4/7/2023 at 6:02 AM, SomeUsername said:

I assume when you refer to:

On 4/7/2023 at 6:02 AM, SomeUsername said:

I wanted to change my cpu fan colour to a different one (not rainbow)

You mean the fan on the cooler. Which version of that cooler do you have?

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

14 hours ago, Ralfi said:

You could try https://www.signalrgb.com

I’ve used it with success. 

You can manually add devices & the number of LEDs they have, if they’re not found initially.

Already tried it. Still no luck.

13 hours ago, RevGAM said:

I assume when you refer to:

You mean the fan on the cooler. Which version of that cooler do you have?

Indeed the fan on the cooler. Also what do you mean by version?

23 minutes ago, SomeUsername said:

Indeed the fan on the cooler. Also what do you mean by version?

if it says or is V2/V3. Should say it on the product name

Current parts list

4 minutes ago, filpo said:

if it says or is V2/V3. Should say it on the product name

Issue is that the pc is pre-built and i cannot open it to check. On the website listing I ordered it from it just says Cooler Master Hyper 212 Spectrum. No V2/V3 of any sort. Heres the website I bought the pc from: https://ardes.bg/product/ardes-game-ag5500r55500a660016gb500gbnvme-316464

I am bulgarian so you will need a translator, but if you scroll down the parts are all there.

6 minutes ago, SomeUsername said:

Issue is that the pc is pre-built and i cannot open it to check. On the website listing I ordered it from it just says Cooler Master Hyper 212 Spectrum. No V2/V3 of any sort. Heres the website I bought the pc from: https://ardes.bg/product/ardes-game-ag5500r55500a660016gb500gbnvme-316464

I am bulgarian so you will need a translator, but if you scroll down the parts are all there.

so your saying this is your cooler? 

Cooler Master HYPER 212 SPECTRUM RGB with controller CPU air Cooler ...as for the rgb problem you might have to live with it since if it isn't lighting up i think its due to your mobo not having a 3 pin rgb header or the cable isn't plugged in. Sorry

Current parts list

6 minutes ago, filpo said:

Cooler Master HYPER 212 SPECTRUM RGB with controller CPU air Cooler ...as for the rgb problem you might have to live with it since if it isn't lighting up i think its due to your mobo not having a 3 pin rgb header or the cable isn't plugged in. Sorry

Oh well. Was worth a shot. Thanks a bunch though!

23 minutes ago, SomeUsername said:

Oh well. Was worth a shot. Thanks a bunch though!

its just a few lights, no hit to performance

Current parts list

19 minutes ago, filpo said:

its just a few lights, no hit to performance

Thats also true.

The link you gave doesn't show the version, unfortunately. Oh well. Why can't you open the case? Have you contacted the seller and asked how to manipulate the LEDs? Do your lights change colors in any way, or are the colors completely static? @SomeUsername

4 hours ago, filpo said:

as for the rgb problem you might have to live with it since if it isn't lighting up i think its due to your mobo not having a 3 pin rgb header or the cable isn't plugged in. Sorry

@filpoIf it's not plugged in, he wouldn't see any colored lights. If it's a DC fan, he would see lights because there's only one cable, and he said the fans work and he sees rainbow colors. Here's what I've come up with.

1. I couldn't find a description of v1, but if it's what you have, I think that it didn't have RGB/ARGB LEDs on it. That still wouldn't explain why you can't control the lights unless the fan uses single-color LEDs that give no control (i.e. it's a 1-cable fan instead of 2, which is what you need to be able to control the LED colors). This, is most likely the reason.
  2. V2 has conflicting information about whether it's RGB or ARGB, and V3 is definitely ARGB. Ultimately, that doesn't matter because you STILL should have control because it doesn't matter which one it is - you can't plug the RGB cable into the ARGB header, or vice versa. If there are two cables (i.e. RGB or ARGB LEDs), you should have control unless the RGB/ARGB header is damaged, in which case you should contact the vendor if the warranty hasn't expired. I'm not sure if the cable could somehow be damaged yet still make the fan and LEDs function.

13 minutes ago, RevGAM said:

If it's not plugged in, he wouldn't see any colored lights. If it's a DC fan, he would see lights because there's only one cable, and he said the fans work and he sees rainbow colors. Here's what I've come up with

Oh ok sorry, my 15 year old brain can’t wrap my head around ‘just one cable for all’ on such a cheap and cheerful cooler. Guess I’m a bit of a novice lmao

Current parts list

3 minutes ago, filpo said:

Oh ok sorry, my 15 year old brain can’t wrap my head around ‘just one cable for all’ on such a cheap and cheerful cooler. Guess I’m a bit of a novice lmao

Don't sell yourself short - you know a lot more about most aspects of computer hardware than I do at 56 years. In my defense, my brain is getting stupider, my memory is getting worse, and I move in and out of IT as projects demand. So, that makes me a novice, too, which is why I named my tech channel what I did.

Besides, it took me quite a bit of time to figure that out, so don't sweat it! 🙂 

1 minute ago, RevGAM said:

my brain is getting stupider, my memory is getting worse, and I move in and out of IT as projects demand. So, that makes me a novice, too, which is why I named my tech channel what I did.

Fr you’re not a novice, that’s just part of growing. 
sorry if I sound like a dad even though I’m legit 15 lmao

Current parts list

17 minutes ago, filpo said:

Fr you’re not a novice, that’s just part of growing. 
sorry if I sound like a dad even though I’m legit 15 lmao

Well, if you're a "bit of a novice lmao" then so am I lmao! 😉😜 😛 😄 

No worries, Dad. 😄 
😆😂🤣