Different MAX Vram on the same graphics card?

AwayComet108
Go to solution Solved by Crunchy Dragon,
34 minutes ago, Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh said:

I'm 95% sure that iGPU's uses system memory and not your VRAM.

Correct, integrated GPUs have what's called "shared VRAM", where they reserve a certain(but configurable) amount of system RAM to be used as VRAM. The amount varies by iGPU, but usually it's around 1-2GB.

Dedicated or discrete GPUs have their own VRAM, that is separate from system RAM and cannot be shared. What can sometimes happen is when the dedicated VRAM gets filled up, Windows will use the page file or system RAM to keep feeding VRAM to the GPU, although this is much slower.

43 minutes ago, AwayComet108 said:

I recently noticed that the max VRAM of my PC is lower. My founders edition uses 7.8GB and his uses utilizes the full 8.0GB (the max VRAM xx/7.8 Vs xx / 8.0).

This is most likely a difference in how the system reads the specifications. Officially, 1024MB = 1GB, which is why a 1TB hard drive will show up with just ~930GB usable space. One card might read as 1024MB = 1GB(resulting in 7.8GB VRAM), whereas the other reads 1000MB = 1GB, resulting in the full 8GB.

Hey guys, so I recently built my new pc for myself and decided to go with an RTX 3060ti FE as it just looks really good in my build and it’s the best bang for the buck imo. Anyways there’s also a PC downstairs that my brother uses that he bought from Dell. It’s a Dell XPS 8940  with an RTX 3060ti. I recently noticed that the max VRAM of my PC is lower. My founders edition uses 7.8GB and his uses utilizes the full 8.0GB (the max VRAM xx/7.8 Vs xx / 8.0). I should note that I am using a KF processor without an integrated graphics. The other PC does have integrated graphics. I was wondering why that is. Maybe there’s shared memory between the CPU and GPU? It’s bugging me please help 😅

Maybe your pc does not need all the vram?

I try to be a human, but I cannot, because I have returned to monke.

Spoiler

Hehe boi

Spoiler

POV- when it can run crysis-

( ͝° ͜ʖ͡°)

Where are you seeing this figure?

If its task manager then its as simple as windows being wrong.

1 card probably gets read as 1024mb = 1gb and the other does 1000mb = 1gb.

34 minutes ago, Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh said:

I'm 95% sure that iGPU's uses system memory and not your VRAM.

Correct, integrated GPUs have what's called "shared VRAM", where they reserve a certain(but configurable) amount of system RAM to be used as VRAM. The amount varies by iGPU, but usually it's around 1-2GB.

Dedicated or discrete GPUs have their own VRAM, that is separate from system RAM and cannot be shared. What can sometimes happen is when the dedicated VRAM gets filled up, Windows will use the page file or system RAM to keep feeding VRAM to the GPU, although this is much slower.

43 minutes ago, AwayComet108 said:

I recently noticed that the max VRAM of my PC is lower. My founders edition uses 7.8GB and his uses utilizes the full 8.0GB (the max VRAM xx/7.8 Vs xx / 8.0).

This is most likely a difference in how the system reads the specifications. Officially, 1024MB = 1GB, which is why a 1TB hard drive will show up with just ~930GB usable space. One card might read as 1024MB = 1GB(resulting in 7.8GB VRAM), whereas the other reads 1000MB = 1GB, resulting in the full 8GB.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

2 hours ago, jaslion said:

Where are you seeing this figure?

If its task manager then its as simple as windows being wrong.

1 card probably gets read as 1024mb = 1gb and the other does 1000mb = 1gb.

I’ve used Xbox Game Bar for both PCs 

9 hours ago, AwayComet108 said:

I’ve used Xbox Game Bar for both PCs 

Yeah its just being misreported. Both cards have 8gb on board