PS3 help with disk drive

Ace_killer887

So I bought a ps3 from Japan one of the rare backwards compatible ones model CECHA00. For the disk drive I started to play it and it got stuck on some games and then just stopped reading them altogether. I did take it apart to clean the lens of the drive to see if it just was dirty but no luck. Everything seems ok inside it spins up and makes noise like it should but just won’t read the disk anymore, if I do need to fully replace the drive I have no idea what one to get and if the CECHA01 drive will work with mine. Thanks all for the help, I am a bit out of my wheelhouse with this

I have one myself, problem is that the Blu-ray drive is serialized so you will need to re-marry the drive from the donor console.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

1 hour ago, Vishera said:

I have one myself, problem is that the Blu-ray drive is serialized so you will need to re-marry the drive from the donor console.

How do I do that? And what drive do you recommend replacing it with? And I was right in assuming the drive toasted itself?

On 4/1/2023 at 6:43 PM, Vishera said:

Would it be possible to use a CECHA01 disc drive in a CECHA00 ps3 and swap the boards on the bottom of the disc drive