RTX407TI Instability

Hello all!

System specs

GB Aorus Elite X570 Wifi

Ryzen 5800x3D

RTX2080S (old) RTX4070TI (new)

16GB DDR4 3600

750W PSU

TLDR; GB Aorus Elite X570 Wifi + 4070ti crashing on PCIEx16 Gen 4, appearing more stable on Gen 3(?)

I recently purchased an ASUS Tuf RTX 4070ti. I installed this into my system right away. I did some diligence before the purchase, making sure I had the wattage and parts that weren't too too bottlenecked for 1440 future-proofing. This GPU was truly the last upgrade I could make without having to scrap the system and move on to next gen mobo, higher PSU, ram, etc. I installed the card, reinstalled NVIDIA drivers and was on my way.

2 days later, I noticed some hitching in game; COD and FIFA 23. Something was off. I did another driver install thru geforce xp, and a driver reset (w+ctrl+shift+b)and it seemed to relieve the issue.

Today, I am noticing massive hitching, slow performance/ instability in windows desktop, automatic restarts, black screens on power up and restart, and monitors disconnecting on their own. A panic set in, and to forums I went. I first attacked my BIOS version, by updating to the latest software as my BIOS was approaching 1 year old. This had no effect, however I did have to reapply all of my BIOS settings. I read much about DDU and performing a true clean graphics install via safe boot, etc. I did this, and my system was performing well. Shortly after, I restarted the computer as I had just downloaded multiple things and re-established the graphics drivers. The computer black screened, and I was forced to power down and start back up. The hitching and low performance continued. I re-entered the BIOS and then change my PCIEx16 gen from auto (which would be 4.0 as it is a 4070ti) to 3.0. Now the system appears stable and responsive, with appropriate performance in game as well. Now I have only powered down twice, so I am hoping I don't re enter the same loop.

Has anyone else encountered this issue? Or can anyone confirm that my reasoning/solution is correct??? I am really trying to avoid these crashes and instability. Any other tips to remedy this, and make sure it doesn't start happening again? Thank you!

How old is the power supply and what brand/model?  I would try doing some tasks with hwinfo64 monitoring voltages in the background if you can without it crashing...

EDITED*

3.0 vs 4.0 doesn't really matter right now though, anyway.. if it is more stable in 3.0, try it out... I doubt you'll notice a difference.

27 minutes ago, si1enze said:

How old is the power supply and what brand/model?  I would try doing some tasks with hwinfo64 monitoring voltages in the background if you can without it crashing...

EDITED*

I've got an EVGA GQ 750W 80+ Gold!

22 minutes ago, si1enze said:

3.0 vs 4.0 doesn't really matter right now though, anyway.. if it is more stable in 3.0, try it out... I doubt you'll notice a difference.

I agree, the differences are marginal. A redditor recommended more RAM... I'm not reaching top RAM load and I definitely shouldn't be on a boot? Odd. I really think it might be a mobo incompatibility on the current BIOS offerings.

No, you shouldn't be utilizing all your ram after just booting..  Though I did notice an uplift in overall performance going from 16Gb to 32Gb (just 3200) with my 5800X and my previous 2070 Super...  your GPU is in the top pci-e slot right?  

2 hours ago, si1enze said:

No, you shouldn't be utilizing all your ram after just booting..  Though I did notice an uplift in overall performance going from 16Gb to 32Gb (just 3200) with my 5800X and my previous 2070 Super...  your GPU is in the top pci-e slot right?  

Correct