PC sudden shutdown

So I was just playing ARK Survival Evolved, PC was working as usual, when suddenly it shutdown with one RAM stick just having its lights on. I switched off, then unplugged the PSU, and the light in the RAM was still on for a few seconds before turning off.

I let it rest a bit then reseat the PSU cables. Then when I tried turning it on, the scenario on the video happens.

Does anyone know how to fix this? Or what the rootcause might be?

Specs:

• CPU: Ryzen 7 5800x3D
  • GPU: RTX 3070
  • Mobo: B450 Gaming Pro Carbon
  • PSU: Cooler Master 750W 80+ Gold
  • RAM: 16GB DDR4 3000 MHz 

23 minutes ago, lafrente said:

This looks like a PSU issue.

Will I be needing to replace this?

11 minutes ago, Jebol said:

Will I be needing to replace this?

Try to boot with another PSU first, even 300W would do. If it works, then yes you'll probably have to replace, I haven't heard good things about repairing PSU's.

22 hours ago, lafrente said:

I haven't heard good things about repairing PSU's

Only thing that I've heard is the stored charge potentially killing you if you're not careful and know what you're doing. I'll recommend buying another PSU instead as well.

Trans Rights!
Please tag me or use the "reply" function so I get a notification

I will find your Laptop thread and I will recommend an ITX build instead

Sure would be neat if there was something useful here, eh?

2 hours ago, Bismut said:

Only thing that I've heard is the stored charge potentially killing you if you're not careful and know what you're doing. I'll recommend buying another PSU instead as well.

So I tried to just plug it in another outlet and it just worked. Ran fine, was able to play for a good 5 hours. After turning it off, then switching the PSU off, I woke up, switched the PSU on and it won't work again. Tried removing all external cables, then plugging and unplugging, after some time it turned on again. Tried to turn off the PC, turn off PSU, unplug and plug the PC in the same outlet. The same thing is happening again.

Is it possible there is no faulty component because I was able to turn it on? Or is it still a faulty PSU?

Try the paperclip test on your PSU. When you insert the paperclip, watch the fan on the PSU.

If it spins and continues to consistently (try the test at least 3 times) then it sounds like you have something causing an intermittent short. Could be a USB device, a fan starting to fail, something like that.

If you try the paperclip test and the PSU fan spins for a moment and stops, then something internal to your PSU is tripping the short circuit protection. 

On 3/26/2023 at 10:31 PM, Harmsway1283 said:

Try the paperclip test on your PSU. When you insert the paperclip, watch the fan on the PSU.

If it spins and continues to consistently (try the test at least 3 times) then it sounds like you have something causing an intermittent short. Could be a USB device, a fan starting to fail, something like that.

If you try the paperclip test and the PSU fan spins for a moment and stops, then something internal to your PSU is tripping the short circuit protection. 

I did the paper clip test, and it the fans spin normally. Did 10 trials, it all works. Tried to isolate by removing everything except the MoBo and PSU, with just the 24 pin connection. It opens, did 5 trials, and it works normally. Tried to to input return all the other components (CPU, GPU, Storage) it works, did 5 trials too. I'm so confused why it stopped working in the first place. Should I be concerned?

6 hours ago, Jebol said:

I did the paper clip test, and it the fans spin normally. Did 10 trials, it all works. Tried to isolate by removing everything except the MoBo and PSU, with just the 24 pin connection. It opens, did 5 trials, and it works normally. Tried to to input return all the other components (CPU, GPU, Storage) it works, did 5 trials too. I'm so confused why it stopped working in the first place. Should I be concerned?

If it’s working again then there shouldn’t be much to worry about. For now we can assume that it was a loose cable or component causing a short and your PSU was shutting off immediately. 

Thats a good thing, your PSU was doing its job and protecting the rest of the system.

If you need to move your PC around or to another room, I would be careful when handling it. We can’t be sure what caused the cable or component to come loose.