Is My GPU Failing?

Go to solution Solved by Crunchy Dragon,

I recall something like this happening back when the 2080Ti was new, found this whole article on Gamers Nexus discussing it: https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3394-rtx-2080-ti-artifacting-failure-analysis-crashing-black-screens

Typically artifacting is a clear sign of a dying graphics card, and there's not much to be done. Are you by chance still covered by the manufacturer warranty?

Hey everyone.

I have a 2080ti founders edition that I bought new in 2019. A few weeks ago I was playing destiny 2 and out of nowhere the game froze and started artifacting. I've since underclocked the GPU a bit as well as replaced the thermal paste and thermal pads. I also now play at 1080p at low settings with a frame rate cap. The temperature now sits around 30-40 degrees idle and 60-70 degrees in game. Since then it crashes a lot less often but it still does crash (usually at the most inconvenient moments) and it seems rather inconsistent. Like sometimes it will reach 80 degrees and be fine while other times it will crash at 65 degrees. I don't know much about this stuff but I'm wondering whether theirs an easy fix or do I need to start shopping for a new GPU. Any suggestions on how to squeeze a little bit more life out of this card would be greatly appreciated.

4a0588b8c2c78d90a71784856504afab.png

IMG_E1374.JPG

I recall something like this happening back when the 2080Ti was new, found this whole article on Gamers Nexus discussing it: https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/3394-rtx-2080-ti-artifacting-failure-analysis-crashing-black-screens

Typically artifacting is a clear sign of a dying graphics card, and there's not much to be done. Are you by chance still covered by the manufacturer warranty?

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

13 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Its not unfortunately. Looks like the warranty expired just a few months ago (as it usually does). I'll read up on that Gamers Nexus article though to see if there's anything notable. Other than that I'll just keep my fingers crossed. Thanks for responding!

34 minutes ago, Shuffle said:

Its not unfortunately. Looks like the warranty expired just a few months ago (as it usually does).

Ha, I know the feeling. My old laptop had a catastrophic screen failure mere weeks after the warranty expired; I couldn't find a replacement screen online, and didn't want to frankenstein a screen from another laptop.

If it makes you feel any better, used 20-series and 30-series cards aren't too expensive on the used market right now. I bought a 2070 Super for just under $300 not too long ago. Maybe this can just be your excuse for a GPU upgrade 🙂

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

2 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

If it makes you feel any better, used 20-series and 30-series cards aren't too expensive on the used market right now. I bought a 2070 Super for just under $300 not too long ago. Maybe this can just be your excuse for a GPU upgrade 🙂

Yea I was feeling bad before seeing a card I paid $1200 for selling for as low as $400-$500 on ebay. But with mine now dying I guess it was a blessing. 30 series here I come!