Av receiver recommendations/tips

Jayyzzyyzz

Hi all!

I tried to do some research on what would be the best fit for my current setup, but it's been quite the challenge to find the information I need. The question is what kind of receiver (or device if there is an alternative) would be the best option to make my speakers interface with my TV.

The setup:

Tv: Samsung S95B

Speakers: Pair of ADAM T7V's (came from my PC setup and could use the improvement in audio downstairs). The inputs on these are RCA's or XLR's.

Connected devices to TV : Nintendo Switch and PS5.

The requirements:

I basically would like for all sources audio to go to the pair of Adams. Currently I am making due with a small DAC using the optical out of the TV, but this gives the issue that I cannot do any volume control, other than twisting the knobs at the back of each of the speakers. I am trying to find out what it will take to make it so I can control the audio with my TV remote preferably.

The research I have done:

As far as I can see, for this I need to interface using a receiver with these things:

• eARC for using the tv remote for volume control
  • Pre amp RCA outs for the speakers (in this case it would be "fronts")
  • At least one in and one out HDMI 2.1 for fully supporting the PS5(?)

I am a bit unsure about the last point, as I don't know if I just cannot plug the PS5 into the second HDMI 2.1 port on my TV and connect the receiver using the eARC port and audio gets fed through properly?

The budget receivers I've found that fit this description are the following:

• Denon AVC-X3800H
  • Yamaha RX-V6A
  • Marantz NR1711

The question:

These options do feel like a lot of money just to be able to interface stereo speakers with a TV and being able to change the volume with a remote, so that's why I am here to ask for your help. Is this necessary or are there other, more cheap options?

Thanks in advance!

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

14 minutes ago, Dedayog said:

Something like this could be an option, but it doesn't have the correct in or outputs. Also, with this I would have a second remote, which I would like not to have, unless it's a far cheaper option (like you suggest). 

So maybe just a amp with a remote and a optical in and RCA out would be a solution if I understand you correctly?

You’ll plug the PS5 into the TV and the TV will pass the audio to the AVR through the earc port. 

And yeah, you pretty much nailed the rest, one of those AVRs will be the easiest, most inexpensive solution to what you want to do (unfortunately) - those speakers have to plug into something. If you just want to give the TV’s audio a boost there are plenty of inexpensive, solid soundbar options out there but if you want to go the AVR route those are good options. 

59 minutes ago, Jayyzzyyzz said:

Something like this could be an option, but it doesn't have the correct in or outputs. Also, with this I would have a second remote, which I would like not to have, unless it's a far cheaper option (like you suggest). 

So maybe just a amp with a remote and a optical in and RCA out would be a solution if I understand you correctly?

Yes, I didn;t check the inputs/outputs, I was more just looking at the simplicity of an amp and remote without all the extra AVR crap.  

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

6 hours ago, Dedayog said:

Yes, I didn;t check the inputs/outputs, I was more just looking at the simplicity of an amp and remote without all the extra AVR crap.  

Ah I see. Thanks, will look into that for sure!

6 hours ago, seanondemand said:

You’ll plug the PS5 into the TV and the TV will pass the audio to the AVR through the earc port. 

And yeah, you pretty much nailed the rest, one of those AVRs will be the easiest, most inexpensive solution to what you want to do (unfortunately) - those speakers have to plug into something. If you just want to give the TV’s audio a boost there are plenty of inexpensive, solid soundbar options out there but if you want to go the AVR route those are good options. 

Ah cool. Thanks for the clarification! What are all the HDMI ports for on the receiver itself then? Just extra HDMI ports that function as a HDMI switch of some sort?

3 hours ago, Jayyzzyyzz said:

Ah cool. Thanks for the clarification! What are all the HDMI ports for on the receiver itself then? Just extra HDMI ports that function as a HDMI switch of some sort?

Pretty much - for example, in my office I’ve got a tv hooked up to a soundbar via earc with a ps5 and an Apple TV plugged into the tv, which handles the switching (the soundbar only has the one hdmi port for earc). AV receivers can be packed with inputs, way more than you would get on the back of a tv (including extra HDMI 2.1 ports) and not just hdmi but also for high-end cd players, turntables, or radio, so the AVR needs to be able to handle the switching instead. 

6 hours ago, seanondemand said:

Pretty much - for example, in my office I’ve got a tv hooked up to a soundbar via earc with a ps5 and an Apple TV plugged into the tv, which handles the switching (the soundbar only has the one hdmi port for earc). AV receivers can be packed with inputs, way more than you would get on the back of a tv (including extra HDMI 2.1 ports) and not just hdmi but also for high-end cd players, turntables, or radio, so the AVR needs to be able to handle the switching instead. 

Ah cool. Good to know, thanks for the info!

Think about your goals in regards to having an av receiver and speaker setup.

Yes it is basically what you're looking for when it comes to the hdmi cec function when the tv remote controls the volume and turning on and off devices.

How many speakers total will you end up with?

Do you plan on any other gaming systems like a pc or Xbox one x? If so be careful as the yamaha rx v6a has only 24gb bandwith and the two systems I mentioned can do up to 40gb bandwith.

You can easily go up to a 5.1.4 Dolby atmos setup with a denon x3800h

And yes ps5 into tv and earc the audio out is an option but why would you when the receiver has the supported resolution and bandwith?

I do that option with my pc only as I don't have a higher than hdmi 2.0 18gb bandwith receiver.

Best of luck! 

Before purchasing anything. Have you checked to see if your TV has a feature for variable volume output. If you set your dac to a fixed volume and use that setting on your TV you should be able to adjust volume on your TV regularly and it will adjust the signal output to control your speaker volume.

On 3/11/2023 at 8:52 AM, sm1th5 said:

Think about your goals in regards to having an av receiver and speaker setup.

Yes it is basically what you're looking for when it comes to the hdmi cec function when the tv remote controls the volume and turning on and off devices.

How many speakers total will you end up with?

Do you plan on any other gaming systems like a pc or Xbox one x? If so be careful as the yamaha rx v6a has only 24gb bandwith and the two systems I mentioned can do up to 40gb bandwith.

You can easily go up to a 5.1.4 Dolby atmos setup with a denon x3800h

And yes ps5 into tv and earc the audio out is an option but why would you when the receiver has the supported resolution and bandwith?

I do that option with my pc only as I don't have a higher than hdmi 2.0 18gb bandwith receiver.

Best of luck! 

Probably gonna stay with a 2.0 or 2.1 setup, don't really have the space for more. 

Thanks for the info on the ports!

48 minutes ago, Virel said:

Before purchasing anything. Have you checked to see if your TV has a feature for variable volume output. If you set your dac to a fixed volume and use that setting on your TV you should be able to adjust volume on your TV regularly and it will adjust the signal output to control your speaker volume.

Good tip! As far as I can see I don't see any setting resembling that.

• 2 weeks later...

I ask that you prove it.

You can have surrounds in practically any room.