GPU upgrade help

Dobby_is_free

Budget (including currency): $1000 GPU, whatever I need for CPU, $250 for mobo

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 1440p 144hz gaming, possibly statistical analysis software.

Other details hi everyone, recently I started having crashing problems with my 2080 TI and I'm thinking I'm going to need to upgrade. I play games at 1440p 144hz on my main monitor, and I use a 1080p 144hz monitor for everything else. I mainly play Destiny 2, but will also play games like GoW. I am also looking forward to Jedi: survivor. I was currently thinking about getting the 7900 XTX, but I'm not sure if this is overkill. I'm also not sure if I should upgrade my CPU too, I'm currently running a R7 3700X with a ASUS X470-F mobo. Will my CPU bottleneck modern GPU's? Help would be greatly appreciated.

14 minutes ago, Dobby_is_free said:

Budget (including currency): $1000 GPU, whatever I need for CPU, $250 for mobo

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 1440p 144hz gaming, possibly statistical analysis software.

Other details hi everyone, recently I started having crashing problems with my 2080 TI and I'm thinking I'm going to need to upgrade. I play games at 1440p 144hz on my main monitor, and I use a 1080p 144hz monitor for everything else. I mainly play Destiny 2, but will also play games like GoW. I am also looking forward to Jedi: survivor. I was currently thinking about getting the 7900 XTX, but I'm not sure if this is overkill. I'm also not sure if I should upgrade my CPU too, I'm currently running a R7 3700X with a ASUS X470-F mobo. Will my CPU bottleneck modern GPU's? Help would be greatly appreciated.

I upgraded from a 2080 Super to a RTX 4080 and I was surprised how CPU bottlenecked I was even with a Intel i9 9900k ( slightly faster than the 3700x ). I experienced a lot of stutter and inconsistent framerates in a lot of games.   I then upgraded to a Ryzen 7700x and the microstutter and inconsistent framerates are completely gone.  In Hell Let Loose I went from 120 avg fps with a lot of stutter to 230+ fps with no stutter!  Same in Tiny Tina's Wonderland. I was being heavily CPU bottlenecked.  So if you plan on getting a high end modern GPU I would definitely consider a more modern CPU as well.  Perhaps the 5800X3D so you can keep your old motherboard and leave more room for a GPU upgrade. the 5800X3D is still the fastest gaming CPU until the new X3D 7000 series release in late February.  Unless its your old motherboard that is causing your crashing problems?

1 hour ago, Hinjima said:

I upgraded from a 2080 Super to a RTX 4080 and I was surprised how CPU bottlenecked I was even with a Intel i9 9900k ( slightly faster than the 3700x ). I experienced a lot of stutter and inconsistent framerates in a lot of games.   I then upgraded to a Ryzen 7700x and the microstutter and inconsistent framerates are completely gone.  In Hell Let Loose I went from 120 avg fps with a lot of stutter to 230+ fps with no stutter!  Same in Tiny Tina's Wonderland. I was being heavily CPU bottlenecked.  So if you plan on getting a high end modern GPU I would definitely consider a more modern CPU as well.  Perhaps the 5800X3D so you can keep your old motherboard and leave more room for a GPU upgrade. the 5800X3D is still the fastest gaming CPU until the new X3D 7000 series release in late February.  Unless its your old motherboard that is causing your crashing problems?

Not quite sure what the issue is yet, I made this post in anticipation that it's my GPU, I'm going to put an old 1060 I have laying around to see if that fixes the issue. Would a 7900 XTX be overkill for 1440p 144hz? Also is Ryzen 7000 worth it?

1 hour ago, Dobby_is_free said:

Not quite sure what the issue is yet, I made this post in anticipation that it's my GPU, I'm going to put an old 1060 I have laying around to see if that fixes the issue. Would a 7900 XTX be overkill for 1440p 144hz? Also is Ryzen 7000 worth it?

Yeah, best check! You could try to run DDU an reinstall the GPU drivers to see if that fixes anything. What powersupply do you have if I may ask?   I really like the AM5 platform and I have never been more happy with my CPU purchase, I also have an upgrade path in a few years to put in a 9800X3D or whatever comes out then ( Not that I feel I need it )  since AMD will support this platform for a few more years.  I bought this CPU before the non X varients came out and I probably would have gone with the 7700 non X as it performs 2-4% lower but is a bit cheaper and comes with a cooler. The X varients do not come with a cooler but already had an NH-D15 however.   Many people would say that the 4080 - 4090 and 7900 XTX is overkill for 1440p 144hz gaming but personally I dont think its overkill, my 4080 has been at 80%+ usage even at 1440p 144fps gaming like Tiny Tina's Wonderland - Metro Exodus enhanced edition - Cyberpunk 2077 etc and newer games will surely be more graphically demanding like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2: Heart of Chornobyl - Atomic Heart and Starfield to name a few.  It might be 'overkill' now but it won't be in down the line.  There is dinimishing returns on more expensive GPU's but if you have the money and feel ok with spending it, go for it.

Yeah, best check! You could try to run DDU an reinstall the GPU drivers to see if that fixes anything. What powersupply do you have if I may ask?   I really like the AM5 platform and I have never been more happy with my CPU purchase, I also have an upgrade path in a few years to put in a 9800X3D or whatever comes out then ( Not that I feel I need it )  since AMD will support this platform for a few more years.  I bought this CPU before the non X varients came out and I probably would have gone with the 7700 non X as it performs 2-4% lower but is a bit cheaper and comes with a cooler. The X varients do not come with a cooler but already had an NH-D15 however.   Many people would say that the 4080 - 4090 and 7900 XTX is overkill for 1440p 144hz gaming but personally I dont think its overkill, my 4080 has been at 80%+ usage even at 1440p 144fps gaming like Tiny Tina's Wonderland - Metro Exodus enhanced edition - Cyberpunk 2077 etc and newer games will surely be more graphically demanding like S.T.A.L.K.E.R. 2: Heart of Chornobyl - Atomic Heart and Starfield to name a few.  It might be 'overkill' now but it won't be in down the line.  There is dinimishing returns on more expensive GPU's but if you have the money and feel ok with spending it, go for it.

I have a EVGA 750 G3 I think this should cover me fine on pretty much anything I could put in it. Also I have a Noctua NH-U12S, will this be fine for any 7000 CPU? Besides the 7900 XTX I've also been considering the 7900 XT or the 4070 Ti, but I have heard that both of those are terrible value. With regard to testing, I have basically exhausted every fix besides swapping parts out. I actually was considering upgrading soon anyway, as I saw a great deal at Microcenter for a bundle with an R9 7900X, B650E mobo, and 32Gb of DDR5 6000 for $600. Not sure if it's a good deal, but I thought it was. My nearby Microcenter also has most GPUs in stock at MSRP (although MSRP prices are crazy since I last built in 2019). Also would Intel 13th gen be worth considering?

50 minutes ago, Dobby_is_free said:

I have a EVGA 750 G3 I think this should cover me fine on pretty much anything I could put in it. Also I have a Noctua NH-U12S, will this be fine for any 7000 CPU? Besides the 7900 XTX I've also been considering the 7900 XT or the 4070 Ti, but I have heard that both of those are terrible value. With regard to testing, I have basically exhausted every fix besides swapping parts out. I actually was considering upgrading soon anyway, as I saw a great deal at Microcenter for a bundle with an R9 7900X, B650E mobo, and 32Gb of DDR5 6000 for $600. Not sure if it's a good deal, but I thought it was. My nearby Microcenter also has most GPUs in stock at MSRP (although MSRP prices are crazy since I last built in 2019). Also would Intel 13th gen be worth considering?

Your 750w should do plenty except for a 4090.  I myself use a Corsair RM750i with a 4080 no problem. When it comes to value its totally up to you how much you want to spend, I prefer Nvidia cards and I knew the 4080 was not the best value but I am absolutely happy with it and I dont regret buying it at all. DLSS 3 is also absolutely fantastic technology.
R9 7900X is absolute overkill for gaming ( yes, I said it.. its overkill )   600 bucks for a 7900X / motherboard / ram combo is very cheap however, I wouldn't wait a second longer and just buy that instantly! That is an insane deal. I saw the listing on microcenter and the motherboard and ram are very decent options as well in that bundle.   Sure you can go 13th gen but the E cores does absolutely nothing for gaming and has been proved to decrease gaming performance.  You will also be forced to use windows 11 with 13th gen intel. This is one of my main choices for going AMD 7000, I like windows 10 a lot more.  The Noctua NH-U12S should be alright to cool a 7900X according to Noctuas own website. https://ncc.noctua.at/cpus/model/AMD-Ryzen-9-7900X-1635
just make sure you have the AM4 / AM5 mounting bracket.
And just to note, I dont hate Intel at all.  I loved my i7-950 back in the day and enjoyed my 4770 as well!  I just think AM5 is the way to go currently for gaming and to get some upgrade paths down the line.

Your 750w should do plenty except for a 4090.  I myself use a Corsair RM750i with a 4080 no problem. When it comes to value its totally up to you how much you want to spend, I prefer Nvidia cards and I knew the 4080 was not the best value but I am absolutely happy with it and I dont regret buying it at all. DLSS 3 is also absolutely fantastic technology.
R9 7900X is absolute overkill for gaming ( yes, I said it.. its overkill )   600 bucks for a 7900X / motherboard / ram combo is very cheap however, I wouldn't wait a second longer and just buy that instantly! That is an insane deal. I saw the listing on microcenter and the motherboard and ram are very decent options as well in that bundle.   Sure you can go 13th gen but the E cores does absolutely nothing for gaming and has been proved to decrease gaming performance.  You will also be forced to use windows 11 with 13th gen intel. This is one of my main choices for going AMD 7000, I like windows 10 a lot more.  The Noctua NH-U12S should be alright to cool a 7900X according to Noctuas own website. https://ncc.noctua.at/cpus/model/AMD-Ryzen-9-7900X-1635
just make sure you have the AM4 / AM5 mounting bracket.
And just to note, I dont hate Intel at all.  I loved my i7-950 back in the day and enjoyed my 4770 as well!  I just think AM5 is the way to go currently for gaming and to get some upgrade paths down the line.

Are AMDs new GPUs reliable, or is Nvidia just a better option? Also what are E cores? I haven't kept up with the hobby much for 2 years, but I've seen it mentioned when talking about Intel CPUs.

8 hours ago, Dobby_is_free said:

Are AMDs new GPUs reliable, or is Nvidia just a better option? Also what are E cores? I haven't kept up with the hobby much for 2 years, but I've seen it mentioned when talking about Intel CPUs.

AMD GPU's are very reliable and an excellent choice, it really comes down to what you personally prefer in my opinion. Personally I prefer Nvidia but I would be happy with an AMD GPU myself, I have had both throughout the many years I have built PC's.  AMD GPU's do tend to age better but they lack some features Nvidia cards have, if you dont care for RayTracing then maybe AMD is the way to go. It really comes down to price and preference, you can't really make a wrong choice here.  Just watch some benchmarks on Youtube, but you would be happy with either one really.   On Intel's new CPU's they have what is called P-cores and E-cores ( Performance cores and efficiency cores ) Intel had to do something to keep up with AMD so this is what they did.  P-cores are normal cores and efficiency cores are weaker and slower.  So an intel 13700k has 16 cores and 24 threads but only 8 of the 16 cores are P-cores and the rest are E-cores. The E-cores help in heavy multitask situations but games do not take advantage of the E-cores and people have found to increase gaming performance by disabling the E-cores entirely.

5 hours ago, Hinjima said:

AMD GPU's are very reliable and an excellent choice, it really comes down to what you personally prefer in my opinion. Personally I prefer Nvidia but I would be happy with an AMD GPU myself, I have had both throughout the many years I have built PC's.  AMD GPU's do tend to age better but they lack some features Nvidia cards have, if you dont care for RayTracing then maybe AMD is the way to go. It really comes down to price and preference, you can't really make a wrong choice here.  Just watch some benchmarks on Youtube, but you would be happy with either one really.   On Intel's new CPU's they have what is called P-cores and E-cores ( Performance cores and efficiency cores ) Intel had to do something to keep up with AMD so this is what they did.  P-cores are normal cores and efficiency cores are weaker and slower.  So an intel 13700k has 16 cores and 24 threads but only 8 of the 16 cores are P-cores and the rest are E-cores. The E-cores help in heavy multitask situations but games do not take advantage of the E-cores and people have found to increase gaming performance by disabling the E-cores entirely.

Also, would it be worth getting a new case, I have a Be Quite! Dark base 700. It's a really nice well made case, but the air flow could be better as it has a solid front panel.

27 minutes ago, Dobby_is_free said:

Also, would it be worth getting a new case, I have a Be Quite! Dark base 700. It's a really nice well made case, but the air flow could be better as it has a solid front panel.

Its drawing air from the side vents on the front panel ( obviously not ideal but I had no issues with my define r5 case) , just add an extra fan or two in front and you should be good 🙂 maybe one at the bottom as well.   Absolutely no need to change the case.7dzqi2ksdhm21.jpg

2 hours ago, Hinjima said:

Its drawing air from the side vents on the front panel ( obviously not ideal but I had no issues with my define r5 case) , just add an extra fan or two in front and you should be good 🙂 maybe one at the bottom as well.   Absolutely no need to change the case.7dzqi2ksdhm21.jpg

I currently have two 140mm intake at the front and two 140mm exhaust (rear and top) so I think I should be good. Also, is the AM5 mounting kit for Noctua coolers the same as the AM4?

13 minutes ago, Dobby_is_free said:

I currently have two 140mm intake at the front and two 140mm exhaust (rear and top) so I think I should be good. Also, is the AM5 mounting kit for Noctua coolers the same as the AM4?

That is plenty airflow, no problem.  It varies from cooler to cooler in the Noctua range.. I know they made an NH-U12S AM4 edition, I am unsure if your cooler has the required hardware.  That is something you can check in the box, if there is AM4 brackets with the names NM-AM5/4-MP83 on the metal brackets.

2 minutes ago, Hinjima said:

That is plenty airflow, no problem.  It varies from cooler to cooler in the Noctua range.. I know they made an NH-U12S AM4 edition, I am unsure if your cooler has the required hardware.  That is something you can check in the box, if there is AM4 brackets with the names NM-AM5/4-MP83 on the metal brackets.

I bought my cooler before AM5 existed, so I'm assuming I need to get the new kit from them? I know it's free if you request it 

2 minutes ago, Dobby_is_free said:

I bought my cooler before AM5 existed, so I'm assuming I need to get the new kit from them? I know it's free if you request it 

Yeah its free. I bought mine in 2019 and got the am5 bracket because its the same as the am4 on my NH-D15. But it depends on the sizes of the coolers baseplate.
https://noctua.at/en/productfaqs/productfaq/view/id/252/ https://noctua.at/en/nm-am5-4-mp83-mounting-kit

On 2/8/2023 at 3:54 PM, Hinjima said:

Yeah its free. I bought mine in 2019 and got the am5 bracket because its the same as the am4 on my NH-D15. But it depends on the sizes of the coolers baseplate.
https://noctua.at/en/productfaqs/productfaq/view/id/252/ https://noctua.at/en/nm-am5-4-mp83-mounting-kit

Hey thanks for your help, one last thing. If I end up pulling the trigger, would it be better to use the motherboards built in WIFI of the TP-Link WIFI 6 card I currently have?

1 hour ago, Dobby_is_free said:

Hey thanks for your help, one last thing. If I end up pulling the trigger, would it be better to use the motherboards built in WIFI of the TP-Link WIFI 6 card I currently have?

No worries man, happy to help!  If you run into any issues you can write here or add me on discord Hinjima#1688. I also use an ASUS B650 motherboard myself with the 7700x. For me the installation of all parts was straight forwards and worked without any problems.   I think the motherbaord WIFI will be plenty, the motherboard comes with an antenna you attach at the back  If you don't want to do that then use your wifi card.  Remember that DDR5 systems will take a while on boot before anything happens as the motherboard needs to train the memory, so do not panick if nothing happens for a bit! It can take up to 3 minutes first time:)  ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING WIFI II | ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING WIFI II | Gaming  Motherboards|ROG - Republic of Gamers|ROG Norge

12 hours ago, Dobby_is_free said:

The antenna that comes with is also for bluetooth connectivity such as wireless XBOX controller ++

• 3 weeks later...

Hey,, sorry for the late update, I ended up purchasing the microcenter 7900X bundle and I have a XFX 7900 XT MERC 310 on the way. I've been getting mixed messages though regarding my PSU. Some people have said that 750w won't be enough while some have said it will be fine. One guy told me that 850 would be minimum while 1000w would be ideal. What are your thoughts?