Would I be able to take a Samsung 970 evo plus and put it in a new build?

IgniVellex
Go to solution Solved by Ripred,
3 minutes ago, IgniVellex said:

It is running windows and has all of my games on it. I am planning to take my ssd and gpu and put it in the new build

Sure can, I still have my original 500Gb HDD from my first build, I just plug it in and use it as a secondary drive each build, though after ten years it's showing a little age and probably ready to be retired, though depending on what launcher your using for games sometimes certain games will have to be reinstalled unfortunately 

It is running windows and has all of my games on it. I am planning to take my ssd and gpu and put it in the new build

3 minutes ago, IgniVellex said:

Sure can, I still have my original 500Gb HDD from my first build, I just plug it in and use it as a secondary drive each build, though after ten years it's showing a little age and probably ready to be retired, though depending on what launcher your using for games sometimes certain games will have to be reinstalled unfortunately 

Ryzen 5800X3D(Because who doesn't like a phat stack of cache?) GPU - 7700Xt

X470 Strix f gaming, 32GB Corsair vengeance, WD Blue 500GB NVME-WD Blue2TB HDD, 700watts EVGA Br

~Extra L3 cache is exciting, every time you load up a new game or program you never know what your going to get, will it perform like a 5700x or are we beating the 14900k today? 😅~

1 minute ago, Ripred said:

Sure can, I still have my original 500Gb HDD from my first build, I just plug it in and use it as a secondary drive each build, though after ten years it's showing a little age and probably ready to be retired 

Ok thanks

Like pickle said though if you're going to still use it as a boot drive things can get messy with big hardware changes, so just be aware 

X470 Strix f gaming, 32GB Corsair vengeance, WD Blue 500GB NVME-WD Blue2TB HDD, 700watts EVGA Br

~Extra L3 cache is exciting, every time you load up a new game or program you never know what your going to get, will it perform like a 5700x or are we beating the 14900k today? 😅~

4 minutes ago, Ripred said:

Like pickle said though if you're going to still use it as a boot drive things can get messy with big hardware changes, so just be aware 

If it does fail would I still be able to use the ssd?

48 minutes ago, IgniVellex said:

If it does fail would I still be able to use the ssd?

you'll still be able to use it(it wont just stop working) but it might not behave well until you can remove the old drivers and install the correct ones if you want to just swap it over as is.. that's why its usually recommended to start with a fresh install of windows because the time it would take to sort these issues out is usually not worth it, I've tried it myself and sometimes its fine other times it can be endlessly frustrating, which is why Ill usually use my old drive as a secondary drive and do a fresh install of windows on a new one that way all my data is there where I left it though alot of the software/games will have to be reinstalled using this method to add the registry's where they need to be, but all your game files will still be in there place and any important files that can be relocated relatively easily 

32 minutes ago, Ripred said:

you'll still be able to use it(it wont just stop working) but it might not behave well until you can remove the old drivers and install the correct ones if you want to just swap it over as is.. that's why its usually recommended to start with a fresh install of windows because the time it would take to sort these issues out is usually not worth it, I've tried it myself and sometimes its fine other times it can be endlessly frustrating, which is why Ill usually use my old drive as a secondary drive and do a fresh install of windows on a new one that way all my data is there where I left it though alot of the software/games will have to be reinstalled using this method to add the registry's where they need to be, but all your game files will still be in there place and any important files that can be relocated relatively easily 

So should I get an external hdd and just put all my files and steam games on that so that I don’t have to buy a whole new ssd? Also will Microsoft save all my desktop applications?