Need some tips on what to upgrade.

lSykol
Go to solution Solved by Queen Chrysalis,
1 minute ago, lSykol said:

Thanks a lot! I already have a pretty good cpu cooler so I wouldn't need that, but is there any diffrence between a AMD graphics card and RTX card?

For gaming, not much.  The 6700xt and 3070 trade blows in terms of performance (they're about the same) but the 6700xt is a lot cheaper.  The nvidia cards cost more because they have assets for people doing 3D work, but for gaming it doesn't matter.  The 6700xt also does a little better at 4k with it's 12GB of VRAM.

Budget (including currency): 500 USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Just games

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): I would like to stay with the same motherboard because I don't really want to go through the hasstle replacement. 

This is my current build:

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8cXMtn

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte X470 AORUS GAMING 5 WIFI ATX AM4 Motherboard 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory
Video Card: XFX GTR XXX Radeon RX 580 8 GB Video Card
Power Supply: Corsair RM750x (2021) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

The only 2 things I would see needing an upgrade are your CPU and GPU. What resolution and refresh rate do you plan on playing at?

I probably forgot about this comment so quote me if you need a response.

CPU and GPU are probably the most "in need" of an upgrade, but it really depends.

Are you having performance issues? Are you planning to play other more demanding games and you're not sure your current PC will be up to the task? What's driving you to upgrade your PC?

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

I play on 1440 144hz but have a 4k moniter that I want to get more use out of than just movies. Also I have recently got into Forza Horizion 5 and that is very demanding so want something that can support more demanding games. @Crunchy Dragon

53 minutes ago, lSykol said:

I play on 1440 144hz but have a 4k moniter that I want to get more use out of than just movies. Also I have recently got into Forza Horizion 5 and that is very demanding so want something that can support more demanding games. @Crunchy Dragon

In that case, I would upgrade GPU and then CPU. If you're feeling up to it, you can always poke around the used market and try to upgrade both at the same time.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

1 hour ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

In that case, I would upgrade GPU and then CPU. If you're feeling up to it, you can always poke around the used market and try to upgrade both at the same time.

Yeah this.  A 6700xt would be about $350 new and that would be a monumental upgrade over the 580.  A fully OC'd 2600 could probably support it fine at 1440p, but if it can't, then you could pop in a 5600 for another $130.  At 4k, the 2600 is definitely fast enough.

To get that 2600 going as fast as possible, a big air cooler would do the trick for under $40. 4.2GHz at 1.4125 volts should be able to get it going fast enough for the 6700xt.  Even if you do end up upgrading your CPU, you'd be able to carry the cooler over to 5600.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600 3.5 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($129.99 @ Newegg) 
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler  ($35.90 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: MSI MECH 2X OC Radeon RX 6700 XT 12 GB Video Card  ($349.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $515.88
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-02-02 19:54 EST-0500

I'd get the GPU and the cooler first, then determine if you need a new CPU.  If you do, selling the 2600 for ~$50 would put you under your $500 target.

If your CPU is good with the cooler and the OC, the GPU and cooler would have you under $400.

I edit the shit out of my posts.  Refresh before you respond.

17 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

What gpu would you recommend for under $500 (I know they were expensive, I don't know what would be a good deal.)

13 minutes ago, Queen Chrysalis said:

Yeah this.  A 6700xt would be about $350 new and that would be a monumental upgrade over the 580.  A fully OC'd 2600 could probably support it fine at 1440p, but if it can't, then you could pop in a 5600 for another $130.  At 4k, the 2600 is definitely fast enough.

To get that 2600 going as fast as possible, a big air cooler would do the trick for under $40. 4.2GHz at 1.4125 volts should be able to get it going fast enough for the 6700xt.  Even if you do end up upgrading your CPU, you'd be able to carry the cooler over to 5600.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600 3.5 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($129.99 @ Newegg) 
CPU Cooler: Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE 66.17 CFM CPU Cooler  ($35.90 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: MSI MECH 2X OC Radeon RX 6700 XT 12 GB Video Card  ($349.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $515.88
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-02-02 19:54 EST-0500

I'd get the GPU and the cooler first, then determine if you need a new CPU.  If you do, selling the 2600 for ~$50 would put you under your $500 target.

If your CPU is good with the cooler and the OC, the GPU and cooler would have you under $400.

Thanks a lot! I already have a pretty good cpu cooler so I wouldn't need that, but is there any diffrence between a AMD graphics card and RTX card?

1 minute ago, lSykol said:

For gaming, not much.  The 6700xt and 3070 trade blows in terms of performance (they're about the same) but the 6700xt is a lot cheaper.  The nvidia cards cost more because they have assets for people doing 3D work, but for gaming it doesn't matter.  The 6700xt also does a little better at 4k with it's 12GB of VRAM.

I edit the shit out of my posts.  Refresh before you respond.

3 minutes ago, Queen Chrysalis said:

Alright I'll keep this in mind. And thanks again for the help!