[Update] Newly built PC still crashing, after changing some bios settings

Cryt

Hi everyone,

I have a sad update from this thread: 

The computer was working fine for awhile. But I must have messed up something since the computer crashes again, albeit with more time between crashes. The crashes happen inconsistently, but around every hour or so. There doesn't seem to be any precipitating event that causes the crash (have tried stress tests, no thermal throttling).

One change I did make was change some BIOS settings so that the computer could run Valorant. I followed the instructions on this Reddit thread, which I will post below:

1. To fix this you need to turn Secure Boot on in the BIOS Tab of BIOS

2. The Secure Boot option won't be available until you turn CSM (Compatibility Support Module) off in BIOS

3. If you're like me, Secure Boot will show as "Enabled" but also "Not Active", and this issue will persist through reboots

4. To fix this, change Secure Boot Mode from Standard to Custom, then immediately back to Standard. It'll ask you if you want to restore defaults or something. Say yes.

5. If it boots you out of BIOS, go back into BIOS and ensure that Secure Boot is enabled

6. That's it!

Some software that I have installed since "fixing" the initial issues: Steam, Discord, Valorant, Destiny 2, Microsoft Office suite, Adobe acrobat, Google Chrome.

Any ideas on how to fix this issue? If I revert the BIOS changes, I don't think I can run Valorant anymore on the computer which wouldn't be ideal...

The fact the pc is running for sometime before crashing kinda says it is not the changes in the bios that are causing it.. i could be wrong!

I would re check your thermals during gaming uptill you have the crash, install msi afterburner and enable onscreen display OSD for both the graphics and cpu temps etc, have a google on how to do it if you are not sure.

Then play and monitor temps, also disable any other program you do not need when testing this, so no discord/steam etc running, not even running in the background.

make sure windows power options are set to high and the same in nvidia control panel

Ideally in this situation, you uninstall everyting you have installed and then only reinstall the game, play it and if it runs ok and there is no crash then install other programs one by one and do the same after each install until you find the culprit, if it is a software conflict.

You might have to do a fresh install of windows and carry out the above.

The issues with pcs when we experince a problem is there are so many variables re hardware and then even more variables re software/drivers/settings that sometimes to find the cause is a big task.

2 hours ago, aledsav1 said:

The fact the pc is running for sometime before crashing kinda says it is not the changes in the bios that are causing it.. i could be wrong!

I would re check your thermals during gaming uptill you have the crash, install msi afterburner and enable onscreen display OSD for both the graphics and cpu temps etc, have a google on how to do it if you are not sure.

Then play and monitor temps, also disable any other program you do not need when testing this, so no discord/steam etc running, not even running in the background.

make sure windows power options are set to high and the same in nvidia control panel

Ideally in this situation, you uninstall everyting you have installed and then only reinstall the game, play it and if it runs ok and there is no crash then install other programs one by one and do the same after each install until you find the culprit, if it is a software conflict.

You might have to do a fresh install of windows and carry out the above.

The issues with pcs when we experince a problem is there are so many variables re hardware and then even more variables re software/drivers/settings that sometimes to find the cause is a big task.

I forgot to mention, but the game does NOT crash when playing Valorant, or at least it hasn't yet. It usually crashes just while browsing Google Chrome

9 minutes ago, Cryt said:

I forgot to mention, but the game does NOT crash when playing Valorant, or at least it hasn't yet. It usually crashes just while browsing Google Chrome

when you say crash what exactly do you mean? is the windows blue screening BSOD or the pc turning of or what is happening?

5 minutes ago, aledsav1 said:

try disabling hardware acceleration in chrome

I'll try this, thanks!

9 minutes ago, aledsav1 said:

when you say crash what exactly do you mean? is the windows blue screening BSOD or the pc turning of or what is happening?

No BSOD. The screen goes black and the computer restarts instantly. 

In the event viewer in Windows, it just says event 41 kernel power, which isn't the most helpful error code 😞

So it is the same error as first time 41 might be best to do sfc /scannow again see if any files are messed up, but as it is the same issue might be pointing to hardware causing the problem that is why I am saying do a completely fresh install of windows then just get all your drivers upto date, change power settings in windows and nvidia to high power, check your bios that that everyting is running at stock speed

then try chrome, do not install anything else, if it works fine then great then install your next most important thing valorant of steam and a game etc test if ok carry on until/if you see issue again then you know what software is causing it?

but it might be hardware issue, maybe psu or motherboard is having issues?

1 hour ago, aledsav1 said:

try disabling hardware acceleration in chrome

This didn't work unfortunately. 

I have also tried updating GPU drivers with no luck.

Going to try to avoid using Google Chrome and see if that fixes the issue.

2 hours ago, Cryt said:

Crashes when using light programs, such as browsing and so on.

I wonder if your CPU doesn't get enough voltage at idle. Causing sudden high frequency boosts to crash your PC, because the CPU does not have enough voltage applied. I guess I would download HWiNFO and monitor CPU voltages while idling / web browsing, to see how far down the voltage drops and then compare this voltage to other i5-11600K's if it's possible to find this info. 

Seems like you only have stated what version of BIOS you're currently running in your original thread. Do you have any newer BIOS' available? 

PC Setup: 

HYTE Y60 White/Black + Custom ColdZero ventilation sidepanel

Intel Core i7-10700K + Corsair Hydro Series H100x

G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 32GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)

ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3080Ti OC LC

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-G GAMING (Wi-Fi)

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Crucial MX500 2TB

Crucial MX300 1TB

Corsair HX1200i

Peripherals: 

Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 G95NC 57"

ASUS ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition Wireless

ASUS ROG Claymore II Wireless

ASUS ROG Sheath BLK LTD'

Corsair SP2500

Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO X (Limited Editon) & Beyerdynamic TYGR 300R + FiiO K7 DAC/AMP

RØDE VideoMic II + Elgato WAVE Mic Arm

Racing SIM Setup: 

Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Sim Racing Cockpit + Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Single Screen holder

Svive Racing D1 Seat

Samsung Odyssey G9 49"

Simagic Alpha Mini

Simagic GT4 (Dual Clutch)

CSL Elite Pedals V2

Logitech K400 Plus

13 hours ago, Cryt said:

This didn't work unfortunately. 

I have also tried updating GPU drivers with no luck.

Going to try to avoid using Google Chrome and see if that fixes the issue.

Unfortunately, still crashing while using Edge

11 hours ago, BetteBalterZen said:

I wonder if your CPU doesn't get enough voltage at idle. Causing sudden high frequency boosts to crash your PC, because the CPU does not have enough voltage applied. I guess I would download HWiNFO and monitor CPU voltages while idling / web browsing, to see how far down the voltage drops and then compare this voltage to other i5-11600K's if it's possible to find this info. 

Seems like you only have stated what version of BIOS you're currently running in your original thread. Do you have any newer BIOS' available? 

Same BIOS version: American Megatrends International, LLC. F7, 2021-11-03

I'll try monitoring CPU voltage and see if there are any trends

12 hours ago, BetteBalterZen said:

If undervoltage was the problem, how would I fix it?

Make a "+ Offset" in the BIOS, start with fx 0.050mV

PC Setup: 

HYTE Y60 White/Black + Custom ColdZero ventilation sidepanel

Intel Core i7-10700K + Corsair Hydro Series H100x

G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 32GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)

ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3080Ti OC LC

ASUS ROG STRIX Z490-G GAMING (Wi-Fi)

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Samsung EVO Plus 1TB

Crucial MX500 2TB

Crucial MX300 1TB

Corsair HX1200i

Peripherals: 

Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 G95NC 57"

ASUS ROG Harpe Ace Aim Lab Edition Wireless

ASUS ROG Claymore II Wireless

ASUS ROG Sheath BLK LTD'

Corsair SP2500

Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO X (Limited Editon) & Beyerdynamic TYGR 300R + FiiO K7 DAC/AMP

RØDE VideoMic II + Elgato WAVE Mic Arm

Racing SIM Setup: 

Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Sim Racing Cockpit + Sim-Lab GT1 EVO Single Screen holder

Svive Racing D1 Seat

Samsung Odyssey G9 49"

Simagic Alpha Mini

Simagic GT4 (Dual Clutch)

CSL Elite Pedals V2

Logitech K400 Plus

18 hours ago, BetteBalterZen said:

Make a "+ Offset" in the BIOS, start with fx 0.050mV

In the BIOS, do you know which settings I should adjust?

https://imgur.com/a/NA0Jr4U