Is there a point in keeping iGPU for a secondary display?

avidgamer121

so yesterday i have hooked up my tv to my pc but my gpu has only single hdmi port, dvi and dp. My monitor's vga gives really bad quality (wonder if it's the cable) and im obviously using hdmi for pc so should i get a dp to hdmi or dvi to hdmi to cable or just stick with current setup of using igpu for tv?

generally there wouldnt be a reason to use an igpu if you have a better dedicated gpu.

Either will work. I generally prefer to keep secondary displays off of my primary dGPU but nearly everyone else has no problems with it. A DP to VGA adapter will work or you can just continue doing what you're doing.

1 hour ago, xdagamer said:

vga gives really bad quality

vga is analog and has lots of problems with it. While there is technically no limit to the resolution (as far as I know) the output quality will always be severely limited by todays standards, as well as being effected by things like EMI

If your question is answered, mark it so.  | It's probably just coil whine, and it is probably just fine |   LTT Movie Club!

Read the docs. If they don't exist, write them. | Professional Thread Derailer

Desktop: i7-8700K, RTX 2080, 16G 3200Mhz, EndeavourOS(host), win10 (VFIO), Fedora(VFIO)

Server: ryzen 9 5900x, GTX 970, 64G 3200Mhz, Unraid.

As long as it doesn’t bother you for the things you are doing with it. Won’t make much of a difference overall. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

I may be wrong, but wouldn't IGPU introduce more latency than the dedicated gpu? I doubt it would noticeable on a tv, unless you have a low latency gaming spec tv or somethin.

6 hours ago, 9wele7 said:

I may be wrong, but wouldn't IGPU introduce more latency than the dedicated gpu? I doubt it would noticeable on a tv, unless you have a low latency gaming spec tv or somethin.

well, my tv has 6ms response time, i wouldn't consider it fast but not slow either

8 hours ago, emosun said:

generally there wouldnt be a reason to use an igpu if you have a better dedicated gpu.

i mean i don't have proper cable for running it off my gpu and was wondering if it is worth buying one as using dedicated gpu for display might reduce performance in games

7 hours ago, GuiltySpark_ said:

Either will work. I generally prefer to keep secondary displays off of my primary dGPU but nearly everyone else has no problems with it. A DP to VGA adapter will work or you can just continue doing what you're doing.

well, i do have a dvi to vga adapter (it's in the drawer next to me 😛) but the thing is pascal and above doesn't support analog signals so i don't have this option.

15 hours ago, xdagamer said:

i mean i don't have proper cable for running it off my gpu and was wondering if it is worth buying one as using dedicated gpu for display might reduce performance in games

unless your computer is from 20 years ago an additional 2d display won;t really effect performance it's not 2003 anymore.

2 minutes ago, emosun said:

unless your computer is from 20 years ago an additional 2d display won;t really effect performance it's not 2003 anymore.

i was having interference issue with my speakers because of igpu so i had to disable it