Will a r7 5700x bottleneck a rx 6600?

Cantaloupeman

Budget (including currency): 

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: 

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

So I have a r5 3600 on order rn for 95$ but I recently stumbled across a deal at microcenter for a r7 5700x for 165$. It seems stupid to not spring for that. Would that bottleneck my rx 6600 though? I purchased it used on ebay for 185$. Maybe I could just sell it for a 6600xt? Thoughts?

Not even close.  I did a system for a friend with a 3770 and a 6600 and it worked fine, with only a slight bottleneck at 1080p.  A 5700x's cores are more than twice as fast as that 3770 and there are twice as many of them.  I would not buy it though, that 3600 is already more than enough CPU for your 6600, unless you plan on upgrading a less than a year old GPU already.

I would just let it sit on the shelf.  If later on you want a new GPU, there will be better, newer CPUs available, or you could just get ryzen 5000 on eBay at that point, and it will be way cheaper (CPUs don't wear out or break so eBay is literally just as good as new).  Buying it now would not do anything for you.

I edit the shit out of my posts.  Refresh before you respond.

Just now, Queen Chrysalis said:

Not even close.  I did a system for a friend with a 3770 and a 6600 and it worked fine, with only a slight bottleneck at 1080p.  A 5700x's cores are more than twice as fast as that 3770 and there are twice as many of them.  I would not buy it though, that 3600 is already more than enough CPU for your 6600, unless you plan on upgrading a less than a year old GPU already.

I would just let it sit on the shelf.  If later on you want a new GPU, there will be better, newer CPUs available, or you could just get ryzen 5000 on eBay at that point, and it will be way cheaper (CPUs don't wear out or break so eBay is literally just as good as new).  Buying it now would not do anything for you.

Cool! I appreciate your help man! I ended up getting an sg13 silverstone case and I can't wait to start building in it! 

5 minutes ago, Queen Chrysalis said:

Also I just realized I worded it backwards. I meant to say is the 6600 gonna bottleneck my CPU? Is there such a thing even? 

2 minutes ago, Cantaloupeman said:

Also I just realized I worded it backwards. I meant to say is the 6600 gonna bottleneck my CPU? Is there such a thing even? 

Technically speaking, yes, but you want the GPU to be the bottleneck.  Increasing the effective speed of a GPU is a lot more expensive than increasing the effective speed of a processor, so you'd rather be getting 100% utilization of your GPU and have some of your CPU underutilized.  That way you don't have wasted GPU performance.  

Think of it this way, what would be a biggger tragedy?

$900 GPU running at the speed of $600 GP vs.  $200 CPU running at the speed of $150 GPU?  You want to get every frame you can out of the GPU, so you buy a CCPU that will have a little bit of resources to spare, as that usually only costs a little more, compared to overbuying a GPU, which costs hundreds more.

But in your case, the 3600 is already more than fast enough for the 6600, so the bottleneck would still be at the GPU (GPU being 100% utilized when running at unlimited fps) which is what you want.

10 minutes ago, Queen Chrysalis said:

But in your case, the 3600 is already more than fast enough for the 6600, so the bottleneck would still be at the GPU (GPU being 100% utilized when running at unlimited fps) which is what you want.

Nice thats good to know! I just need this new PC to last me another few years and I'll be happy. I definitely don't wanna overbuy because I know I'm not gonna have enough time for vidjagames in another few years sadly.