Updating an old Ryzen 2600 Build

Stratassj

Budget (including currency): $1000

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Mass Effect, Stellaris, Second Life,

Other details 

I built this computer several years ago, Ryzen 5 2600 CPU, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black CPU Cooler, MSI B450 Tomahawk, 2x8 GB DDR4-3200 CL16 Teamgroup F-Force Vulcan Z, Sapphire Radeon Vega-64 Nitro+, A cheap cannot remember the brand 512 GB SSD, and a 650w EVGA G2 PSU. And I'm thinking that it's time to be updating, if not an entirely new build.

What I'm thinking of, to try and keep things cheaper for the time being. Getting a 5800X3D CPU, Another 16GB of the Vulcan Z to match what is already installed. And then im stuck on the GPU. It's most likely going to be the most expensive part here. I currently only game at 1080p, since that's all my monitors can support. I would like to eventually get a 1440p monitor, so I'm wondering if I should just get a card for that now. I had been looking at a $450 6750XT at my local Microcenter, but of course its sold out now, leaving the next card being $650. I had also played with the idea of picking up a used 6800, I found a two, One Gigabyte OC for $400, or a Powercolor Red Dragon for $430.

Any suggestions?

Like none of the games you mention would need a new gpu.

Stellaris will run better (up till later mid game) with a faster cpu for sure but thats it.

Other than also adding some ram I don't really see a necessary upgrade.

Upgrade the gpu when you upgrade the monitor. But even then for mass effect (not andromeda since it's a mess in many ways including performance) there is no need for a new card.

18 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Like none of the games you mention would need a new gpu.

Stellaris will run better (up till later mid game) with a faster cpu for sure but thats it.

Other than also adding some ram I don't really see a necessary upgrade.

Upgrade the gpu when you upgrade the monitor. But even then for mass effect (not andromeda since it's a mess in many ways including performance) there is no need for a new card.

Just so I have a bit of a better idea, What games would you say, would necessitate a new GPU?

1 hour ago, Stratassj said:

Just so I have a bit of a better idea, What games would you say, would necessitate a new GPU?

you shouldn't need a new GPU playing @ 1080p as games tend to put he load on the CPU at that resolution. So Needfuldoer is on to something, the 5800x3d would be killer for you.

1 hour ago, Stratassj said:

Depends on what you play.

Realistically nothing if you target 1080p 60

31 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Depends on what you play.

Realistically nothing if you target 1080p 60

33 minutes ago, PC Master Blaster said:

you shouldn't need a new GPU playing @ 1080p as games tend to put he load on the CPU at that resolution. So Needfuldoer is on to something, the 5800x3d would be killer for you.

I can concede that right now, I don't have the need for a more powerful card.

But I am planning on picking up a new QHD Monitor, So my goal with that is going to be 1440p, and at minimum 60fps, though ideally closer to 100

I've been giving though to getting games like Horizon, God of War, Cyberpunk, etc.