Extending wired internet connection

sallumjs

Hey everyone,

My situation is a bit weird... but try to help me out.

My internet modem, located in my living room, covers my entire new apartment without a problem.

Thing is, my PC is located in my bedroom, and I have no Wi-Fi cards on it. I use it mainly for gaming.

Rather than getting a wifi card, I thought I could get a better performance either buying a powerline adapter, or a 2 pack mesh wifi system.

If I went for the Mesh Wifi system, I would strictly only use the wired connection that is available in the back of the node, connecting it directly to my pc (so it would be: Modem > Main Mesh Device > Mesh Node in my bedroom > PC). I would never get an extra node, since coverage is not an issue.

Same thing for the Powerline, I would only use the wired connection in the back of the device.

Since wifi is not an issue in my apartment, my questions are:

Is the mesh wifi system, organized like I mentioned above, better than a powerline adapter in terms of latency?

Is a Wi-Fi card the best solution? How to they perform generally in comparision to USBs Wi-Fi adapters? (The combo Wi-FI card/USB adapt + Mesh is also an option)

Note: I am not really sure about the wiring situation in the appartment, but the building is not old.

Thanks so much guys, I am very very lost... help a noob out 😅

Take care!

1 hour ago, sallumjs said:

Hey everyone,

My situation is a bit weird... but try to help me out.

My internet modem, located in my living room, covers my entire new apartment without a problem.

Thing is, my PC is located in my bedroom, and I have no Wi-Fi cards on it. I use it mainly for gaming.

Rather than getting a wifi card, I thought I could get a better performance either buying a powerline adapter, or a 2 pack mesh wifi system.

If I went for the Mesh Wifi system, I would strictly only use the wired connection that is available in the back of the node, connecting it directly to my pc (so it would be: Modem > Main Mesh Device > Mesh Node in my bedroom > PC). I would never get an extra node, since coverage is not an issue.

Same thing for the Powerline, I would only use the wired connection in the back of the device.

Since wifi is not an issue in my apartment, my questions are:

Is the mesh wifi system, organized like I mentioned above, better than a powerline adapter in terms of latency?

Is a Wi-Fi card the best solution? How to they perform generally in comparision to USBs Wi-Fi adapters? (The combo Wi-FI card/USB adapt + Mesh is also an option)

Note: I am not really sure about the wiring situation in the appartment, but the building is not old.

Thanks so much guys, I am very very lost... help a noob out 😅

Take care!

Move modem to your room, buy 1 wifi extender. (or add a router too if you want it that way)
Use ethernet cable for your computer, living room gets the wifi extender.
You get the best latency, everybody else won't murder you for not getting internet.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

If it were me, I’d buy a wifi pci card that has a breakout antenna (they’re cheap) and see how it goes. If your router is wifi 6, that might work out pretty well.