Single Node Virtualisation Server for running a VDI

I’ve been using TrueNAS Core with 4 different Windows 11 VMs (I know not the most recommended) accessible via 6 Zero Clients and 4 Laptops (VMs have multi-users and running RDP Wrapper to achieve this)

It was running all good for past 5-6 months but recently it’s been that TrueNAS shutdown the VM on it’s own whenever there is High usage in network shares.
So, I’m thinking of shifting to a new platform for the Host OS.
I’ve shortlisted three out of many which have support plans and I’ll be okay to take one for a support but not costing 25% of Server Cost per Year :joy:

1. Proxmox (have used it multiple times but everytime some error or mis-configuration led me to shift from here, also it’s on a cheaper side for support plans)
  2. XCP-NG (have heard alot of good things but never tried it, plans are a bit expensive but I’m okay with it)
  3. VMware ESXi (have used it previously liked the way it handled VMs but have 2 problems, one, hardware raid for achieving redundant storage and second, expensive support plans and even the community isn’t that friendly)

Now for the Hardware,

1. AMD EPYC 7542
  2. Supermicro H12SSL-I MBD
  3. Micron 128GB 3200MT/s ECC Memory (4x 32GB)
  4. Samsung 860 Evo 250GB x2 (for Host OS)
  5. Gigabyte Aorus 500GB x4 (in Mirror with Stripe) (for VM disks)
  6. Intel X710-DA2 10G SFP+ NIC
  7. Seagate Exos 10TB x2 (for network shares and local backup)

With this kind of Hardware in a single node, what Host OS will be the best option for Virtualisation?

(PS - for the single Node there are 2 backups available, one server at my home in different location from the above which will be installed at my office. And second in the cloud with Backblaze B2, obviously encrypted)

1 hour ago, iadityaharsh said:

I’ve been using TrueNAS Core with 4 different Windows 11 VMs (I know not the most recommended) accessible via 6 Zero Clients and 4 Laptops (VMs have multi-users and running RDP Wrapper to achieve this)

It was running all good for past 5-6 months but recently it’s been that TrueNAS shutdown the VM on it’s own whenever there is High usage in network shares.
So, I’m thinking of shifting to a new platform for the Host OS.
I’ve shortlisted three out of many which have support plans and I’ll be okay to take one for a support but not costing 25% of Server Cost per Year :joy:

1. Proxmox (have used it multiple times but everytime some error or mis-configuration led me to shift from here, also it’s on a cheaper side for support plans)
  2. XCP-NG (have heard alot of good things but never tried it, plans are a bit expensive but I’m okay with it)
  3. VMware ESXi (have used it previously liked the way it handled VMs but have 2 problems, one, hardware raid for achieving redundant storage and second, expensive support plans and even the community isn’t that friendly)

Now for the Hardware,

1. AMD EPYC 7542
  2. Supermicro H12SSL-I MBD
  3. Micron 128GB 3200MT/s ECC Memory (4x 32GB)
  4. Samsung 860 Evo 250GB x2 (for Host OS)
  5. Gigabyte Aorus 500GB x4 (in Mirror with Stripe) (for VM disks)
  6. Intel X710-DA2 10G SFP+ NIC
  7. Seagate Exos 10TB x2 (for network shares and local backup)

With this kind of Hardware in a single node, what Host OS will be the best option for Virtualisation?

(PS - for the single Node there are 2 backups available, one server at my home in different location from the above which will be installed at my office. And second in the cloud with Backblaze B2, obviously encrypted)

When you say shut down due to load on the shares are they faulting out or is it graceful shutdowns? 

I have used proxmox as the hypervisor with a Truenas vm for storage that worked well. 

About a year ago I switched my thread ripper to truenas scale for pcie pass through. That is currently running 7 vms with 5 being windows for up to 15 concurrent users and smb shares and haven't seen that problem yet.