Does ECC ram work in non ECC environment

Laynord

So the question is not if the ecc capabilities of the modules work it is if the modules work at all as normal dims
For exemple in an old configuration ike a  :

A320M PRO-E (MS-7A36)

and a 

Ryzen 3200G ( non pro )

currently 8 gb of ram
Planning on upgrading to 16 or more on the cheap

Will a ECC ddr4 dim work as a normal dimm not seeking any ecc functionalities or anything as those dims cna be found for much cheaper on the market than non ECC dims

Depends what kind of DIMM it is. UDIMM ECC will often work (ECC may actually work, as AMD doesn't lock it away, but it's not officially supported), but RDIMM will not work at all on that board.

EDIT: Considering how you've said the ECC RAM you've found is significantly cheaper, it's almost certainly RDIMM as UDIMM ECC tends to be pricey, so I'd say probably not going to work. If you can link to what you're looking at, we can give you a definitive answer.

2 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Depends what kind of DIMM it is. UDIMM ECC will often work (ECC may actually work, as AMD doesn't lock it away, but it's not officially supported), but RDIMM will not work at all on that board.

EDIT: Considering how you've said the ECC RAM you've found is significantly cheaper, it's almost certainly RDIMM as UDIMM ECC tends to be pricey, so I'd say probably not going to work. If you can link to what you're looking at, we can give you a definitive answer.

So for exemple this one was of the dims i was lookign at https://www.bargainhardware.co.uk/hp-752371-081-16gb-pc4-17000r-lr-ddr4-2133mhz-2rx4-ecc-reg-lrdimm-server-ram
IS  there any chance i can find any at this price point that are compatible / work with the referenced config ?

1 minute ago, Laynord said:

So for exemple this one was of the dims i was lookign at https://www.bargainhardware.co.uk/hp-752371-081-16gb-pc4-17000r-lr-ddr4-2133mhz-2rx4-ecc-reg-lrdimm-server-ram
IS  there any chance i can find any at this price point that are compatible / work with the referenced config ?

That's RDIMM (well, LRDIMM, but the registered/buffered part is the main thing). It won't work with your system.

UDIMM ECC is pricey, you won't find it cheaper than standard non-ECC UDIMM RAM. Your best bet is looking for standard consumer/gaming RAM on eBay or similar.

Just now, Oshino Shinobu said:

That's RDIMM (well, LRDIMM, but the registered/buffered part is the main thing). It won't work with your system.

UDIMM ECC is pricey, you won't find it cheaper than standard non-ECC UDIMM RAM. Your best bet is looking for standard consumer/gaming RAM on eBay or similar.

Okay thanks  🙂 guess i'll wait on  a deal somewhere

If you consider the Crucial I linked above, I'd actually recommend spending the extra £2 and getting 2x8GB sticks. You'll get better performance from two sticks running in dual channel.

https://www.ebuyer.com/1289773-crucial-ram-ct2k8g4dfra32a-16gb-kit-2x8gb-ddr4-3200mhz-cl22-or-2933mhz-or-ct2k8g4dfra32a

5 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

If you consider the Crucial I linked above, I'd actually recommend spending the extra £2 and getting 2x8GB sticks. You'll get better performance from two sticks running in dual channel.

https://www.ebuyer.com/1289773-crucial-ram-ct2k8g4dfra32a-16gb-kit-2x8gb-ddr4-3200mhz-cl22-or-2933mhz-or-ct2k8g4dfra32a

yeah figured this much but it looks to me its just a cent cheaper by taking the 1x8 twice

but ok 🙂

If the mobo support it should work. A lot of the Asus boards does, check the support page for your board.