Help with RAM upgrades.

Beep or Boop

Budget (including currency): 300$-400$ USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: MMO's, FPS, FGC

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): Just looking for any suggestions on what RAM I should be getting. I want good sticks that are maybe not the absolute cream of the crop. Maybe a little under then that. Looking for something to last me if I ever upgrade to newer generations and DDR5.

AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - ROG STRIX B450 Aorus Wifi - 4x8GB 288-Pin DDR4 3000 G.Skill Ripjaws V Series - Corsair RM850x 850 Watt - Founders Edition 3080 TI - 2 x Samsung Evo 1TB SATA SSD's

I don't see a reason why you should upgrade your current RAM. 4x8GB 3000 isn't bad. It's not the fastest thing in the world, but it's dual rank (basically like adding another 400-500MT/s to the RAM speed for the same timings) and in enough capacity for the things you say you want to do. Stuff that would be faster than that kit get really expensive really quick, and if you want something that will last you if you upgrade to a new generation that supports DDR5, you need to get DDR5 which just wouldn't work on your current motherboard/CPU. 

Unless you're doing something that you aren't saying that requires more than 32GB of RAM, a RAM upgrade seems kinda pointless. If you want some faster RAM, maybe consider overclocking your current kit, though that's a lot of time investment and realistically won't yield you that much extra performance. 

11 hours ago, RONOTHAN## said:

I don't see a reason why you should upgrade your current RAM. 4x8GB 3000 isn't bad. It's not the fastest thing in the world, but it's dual rank (basically like adding another 400-500MT/s to the RAM speed for the same timings) and in enough capacity for the things you say you want to do. Stuff that would be faster than that kit get really expensive really quick, and if you want something that will last you if you upgrade to a new generation that supports DDR5, you need to get DDR5 which just wouldn't work on your current motherboard/CPU. 

Unless you're doing something that you aren't saying that requires more than 32GB of RAM, a RAM upgrade seems kinda pointless. If you want some faster RAM, maybe consider overclocking your current kit, though that's a lot of time investment and realistically won't yield you that much extra performance. 

So I won't see any performance uplift going for 3200 or 3400?

3 hours ago, Beep or Boop said:

So I won't see any performance uplift going for 3200 or 3400?

If you get single rank memory (I.E. most 2x16GB DIMMs now), no, it would be slightly worse if anything. If you go for dual rank (some particular 2x16GB kits or 4x8GB setups), it would be in the low 1-2% performance uplifts, not really worth the effort to upgrade. 

I wouldn't really do anything with your current RAM setup, the performance uplifts you'd see without spending a ridiculous amount of money on RAM and below ~5%, and by the time you're spending enough to possibly see a noticeable performance improvement, you're into the territory of good DDR5 prices and you might as well just wait till you upgrade to a platform that uses DDR5 rather than getting a higher end DDR4 kit.