Windows 11 bugginess

missell

Hey All,

I'm back with another Windows 11 post, I hope I'm not posting too much.

I've got a few strange bugs with windows 11 that I haven't really noticed anywhere else, was wondering if anyone has had any experience with these?

First one is just my windows default context menu looks really strange, like something is missing?

image.png.8bacf50998188d25e9b140f686fd0395.png

Second is that when I open settings, it shows up in the taskbar but not on the screen, so I have to click it to minimize it then click it again to actually bring it up, its not that big but a bit of a pain. Same thing with the photos app and sticky notes (as well as more that I would have just missed) weirdly affects creating new sticky notes too.

My GPU % is no longer in task manager. It was in Windows 10,

image.png.1bd15cde05b42f6224585141bc81a255.png

I don't have video of this, but when I open The Sims 4 for instance, the EA App sticks on top of it. I can't interact with the app to minimize it, the only option is to kill it in task manager, which I can't see because EA App covers everything. This didn't happen on Windows 10. Premiere Pro crashed and it was the same kind of problem, I couldn't open task manager over it and had to [⊞ Win + ←] it over to my other monitor. 

I've done a bit of googling and haven't really found any fixes or anyone with the same problems.

Has anyone here had any similar problems? I'm giving Windows 11 the benefit of the doubt and not hating everything slightly new or different, but it's been a really rocky start.

Thanks!

42 minutes ago, missell said:

I don't have video of this, but when I open The Sims 4 for instance, the EA App sticks on top of it. I can't interact with the app to minimize it, the only option is to kill it in task manager, which I can't see because EA App covers everything. This didn't happen on Windows 10. Premiere Pro crashed and it was the same kind of problem, I couldn't open task manager over it and had to [⊞ Win + ←] it over to my other monitor. 

This stuff right here is why I *ALWAYS* set Task Manager to "Always On Top" in the settings first thing on a fresh Windows install.

Crap programs like the EA App and crashing games and whatnot begone. 

I've been running Windows 11 for... five or six months I think, probably longer. I haven't had any crazy issues with it beyond the common "Where da fuck they put such-and-such now.." moments.

Do I like it? Meh. Is it better than 10? Meh. I honestly don't see the point in 11, they could have spent the next ten years just incrementally adjusting 10 and I wouldn't have cared to be honest. Strange that your GPU usage isn't showing up in Task Manager anymore, mine is way down at the bottom, but it's there.

Did you do a fresh install of Windows 11? Or did you do an upgrade?

The New Machine: Intel 11700K / Strix Z590-A WIFI II / Patriot Viper Steel 4400MHz 2x8GB / Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming OC w/ Bykski WB / x4 1TB SSDs (x2 M.2, x2 2.5) / Corsair 5000D Airflow White / EVGA G6 1000W / Custom Loop CPU & GPU

The Rainbow X58: i7 975 Extreme Edition @4.2GHz, Asus Sabertooth X58, 6x2GB Mushkin Redline DDR3-1600 @2000MHz, SP 256GB Gen3 M.2 w/ Sabrent M.2 to PCI-E, Inno3D GTX 580 x2 SLI w/ Heatkiller waterblocks, Custom loop in NZXT Phantom White, Corsair XR7 360 rad hanging off the rear end, 360 slim rad up top. RGB everywhere.

Looks like you are missing your GPU drivers or dsbaled visual effects, and are using high contract theme.

On 11/22/2022 at 4:26 PM, GoodBytes said:

Looks like you are missing your GPU drivers or dsbaled visual effects, and are using high contract theme.

image.thumb.png.87d57911c702f48db8df592fbf172d98.png

image.thumb.png.d62a9e0a428b7b2805d05ec7aaedb38c.png

image.thumb.png.7a784cda479900b26c5710c40405cae8.png

no contrast theme, driver's up to date, transparency effects are on.

i'm gonna try reinstalling windows. hopefully i just got a bad batch or something on my first installation!

On 11/21/2022 at 6:21 PM, ApolloX75 said:

This stuff right here is why I *ALWAYS* set Task Manager to "Always On Top" in the settings first thing on a fresh Windows install.

Crap programs like the EA App and crashing games and whatnot begone. 

set to always on top now, hopefully the EA app's stupidness doesn't mess with it.

can't really remove EA or Adobe, especially when the problems are (hopefully) fixable.

edit a few hours later:

reinstalling did not work, all problems are still here. that said, I reinstalled keeping all apps and data. didn't want to have to fully reimage, either having to backup ~2.5TB of stuff or redownload it with 50Mb/s (thanks Australia)

still, 50Mb/s is leagues better than the 8 I got around 3 years ago. which is beside the point. if anyone thinks of any other solutions before it comes to that, it'll be greatly appreciated.

Edited by missell