(Potentially) Complex Windows 10 Drive transfer problem

Alexb770

So, I'm building a new PC and want windows on the new SSD I got (SN770). I'd also like to take the 970 Evo from my old PC and add it to my new PC so I have two SSDs. The 970 Evo has windows 10 on it, and I'd like to erase all the data from it before installing it. I bought a new Windows 10 key for the new SN770, and I'm wondering if having also having windows on the 970 evo is going to pose any problems. Am I just overcomplicating this?

No, what's going to happen is that whenever you boot your computer you will have to decide which drive you want to boot from. Also any Windows updates will only be applied to the boot drive in use. You will have to run Windows update manually after rebooting to the other drive, I think, but Windows should know that its not updated and will update automatically and if not it needs to be done manually

The easiest thing to do is

1. Keep your old drive as the boot drive and format the new drive for use as storage.

2. Use the new drive as the boot device and format the old drive and use it as the storage drive.

If you do decide to go with either of these options, return the key as you don't need it, because you can transfer he old key to the new drive.

23 minutes ago, Thomas4 said:

No, what's going to happen is that whenever you boot your computer you will have to decide which drive you want to boot from. Also any Windows updates will only be applied to the boot drive in use. You will have to run Windows update manually after rebooting to the other drive, I think, but Windows should know that its not updated and will update automatically and if not it needs to be done manually

The easiest thing to do is

1. Keep your old drive as the boot drive and format the new drive for use as storage.

2. Use the new drive as the boot device and format the old drive and use it as the storage drive.

If you do decide to go with either of these options, return the key as you don't need it, because you can transfer he old key to the new drive.

Awesome, thanks. I'll go with the second option then. I'm wanting Windows on the new drive since it's faster than the 970 Evo