Smart lighting

Sh4d0wm4n

Folks, we are in the final stages of our extension project and another thing i need to sort out is the LED lighting for the media wall, we have 6 niches of 1100W x 350D x400H.
We have an LG C1 77" to go in and a Sonos Arc.
I need some inspiration on what to do about lights.
1) Standard GU10 spot in each one?
2) Hue or equivalent LED spot?
3) Hue or equivalent led strips?

I know we can get light sync boxes for the TV but the lighting is usually behind the TV etc, i was wondering if we can do this for the niches and have them colour change in line with the content n TV?

media wall.jpg

For best viewing results, don't have ANY lighting either behind or to the screen as both the lights themselves and even worse the colors will distract the eye and wash out the colors. This is why movie theatres have black walls next to the screens.

You can get standard RGB lighting that will work, but don't have them on when the TV is on.

Oh,and paint the nook where the TV is going flat black to cut down on reflections or apply non-reflecting fabric - your eyes will appreciate it.

23 minutes ago, Thomas4 said:

Oh,and paint the nook where the TV is going flat black to cut down on reflections or apply non-reflecting fabric - your eyes will appreciate it.

Black Velvet works wonders.  

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600X  | Motherboard: ASROCK B450 pro4 | RAM: 2x16GB  | GPU: MSI NVIDIA RTX 2060 | Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S | SSD: Samsung 980 Evo 1T 

I wouldn't light the wall/niches directly.  I'd use one of the other walls for ambient light fill.

For example, my projector screen, speakers and tv console are all on a different wall than where my ambient light is located.  This way, I can have soft light off to the side while I'm enjoying media viewing--and nothing is washing out or distracting from the picture itself. 

The lighting I'm using are 2 rows of 9" floating shelves arranged over a fireplace (~50" long each).  I highly recommend customizeddesigns.com--where I sourced them.  Their stuff is extremely high quality. 

I'll try and remember to post pics when I get home.

Old pic, but you get the idea.  Can change colors on the shelving and the fireplace to suit my mood. 

DSC_0003.thumb.JPG.435d08349e95230c30bb8a03f7862f6e.JPG

90 degrees to the right is my projector screen and media setup. 

DSC_0491.thumb.JPG.cfe6cc3cb4016fd9437717738f518a1d.JPG