First time building pc

ArunSH
Go to solution Solved by Ryuikko,
47 minutes ago, ArunSH said:

the ATX 4-pin power connector but i don't know what it means. 

It's just that the board has an extra 4 pin that's only really used for serious oc 

Have no plans on overclocking. 

Then id probably switch out the board  primarily then since that board is really only bought for oc 

Is this pc kinda overkill for my needs?

At least the gpu, yeah. That's more of a 1440p ready gpu and the resolution id expect from this budget

Is the air cooler too big for my case?

It's not to big for the case, but it's overkill for your cpu. Something like the deepcool ak400 is a better choice

Is AIO better than air cooler?

Only usually 360 and up is where you'll see some benefits. But it's not needed for the cpu you've put in. I'd reccommend looking at the newest gen i.e 13600k which might require a bit more cooling

Is it compatible with lga 1700 socket?

By now all coolers should come with the needed bracket

Is ddr5 ram and compatible motherboard worth it or is ddr4 fine?

Ddr5 isn't worth it, at least for your uses, unless you go with the newest gen ryzen which requires it

I won't answer the rest of your questions, I'll just make a new list and describe My reasons 

https://no.pcpartpicker.com/list/6rt6xs

The 13600kf is one of the best cpus on the market right now and with it being only 100 nok over the 12700, it's a pretty obvious choice 

Good cooler that can handle the 13600kf easily

The board availability in Norway appears to be a bit odd, so the h670 tomahawk is the cheapest board I could find with bios flash 

16gb of ram which should be enough for gaming

A bit cheaper 1tb storage 

Cheaper 3070ti since the 6800xt was a bit more expensive 

Nice case with airflow for your parts and a good 750 watt psu that can handle all of them

Budget (including currency): Around 21000 NOK (About 2000 USD)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Pc setup for playing any type of game, from FPS to graphically demanding games. Maybe programmering or work that need a powerful pc in the future. 

Other details: I'm planing on getting everything i need before next year. I want to at least play any game at 1080p 60 hz in high settings. 

Hello,

This is the first time i'm building a pc and i need some advice. I really don't know anything about what's good and what i should get. I don't need a super powerful pc gaming setup, but i want a decent future proof build. 

Here's the list of the current pc build i have looked at: https://no.pcpartpicker.com/list/NPXmBj

This is over my budget so is there anything here that i can tone a bit down without huge performance drops.

These other questions may sound silly, but i don't know anything about building pc: 

Are there any big problems with this pc build? In the compatibility notes it says something about the ATX 4-pin power connector but i don't know what it means. 

Is this pc kinda overkill for my needs? I'm thinking of buying a 1080p 165hz monitor. Have no plans on overclocking. 

Is the air cooler too big for my case? Will the ram sticks be in the way of the air cooler. Is it compatible with lga 1700 socket?

Is there anything in my list that you don't recommend buying? What do you recommend for a pc build within my budget?

Is amd cpu and motherboard better for this build? 

Is my graphics card good?

Is there something I'm missing?

Is G-sync or freesync monitor better?

Is it better to get a 1440p 144 hz display?

What's RAID? Is this important?

Sorry for my bad english.

27 minutes ago, ArunSH said:

Budget (including currency): Around 21000 NOK (About 2000 USD)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Pc setup for playing any type of game, from FPS to graphically demanding games. Maybe programmering or work that need a powerful pc in the future. 

Other details: I'm planing on getting everything i need before next year. I want to at least play any game at 1080p 60 hz in high settings. 

Hello,

This is the first time i'm building a pc and i need some advice. I really don't know anything about what's good and what i should get. I don't need a super powerful pc gaming setup, but i want a decent future proof build. 

Here's the list of the current pc build i have looked at: https://no.pcpartpicker.com/list/NPXmBj

This is over my budget so is there anything here that i can tone a bit down without huge performance drops.

These other questions may sound silly, but i don't know anything about building pc: 

Are there any big problems with this pc build? In the compatibility notes it says something about the ATX 4-pin power connector but i don't know what it means. 

Is this pc kinda overkill for my needs? I'm thinking of buying a 1080p 165hz monitor. Have no plans on overclocking. 

Is the air cooler too big for my case? Will the ram sticks be in the way of the air cooler. Is it compatible with lga 1700 socket?

Is there anything in my list that you don't recommend buying? What do you recommend for a pc build within my budget?

Is amd cpu and motherboard better for this build? 

Is my graphics card good?

Is there something I'm missing?

Is G-sync or freesync monitor better?

Is it better to get a 1440p 144 hz display?

What's RAID? Is this important?

Sorry for my bad english.

https://no.pcpartpicker.com/list/pJNGNc

As of now, there isn't a significant gaming difference between DDR4 and DDR5, so there are some savings to be had there. Got everything as close to the 21k krone budget as I could, 12500 isn't really worth it over 12400F, it's in noman's land between 12400 and 12600 without offering justifiable value over 12400F at its price point. 

windows licences can be found from resellers easily (I used a recovery image from an OEM license from my laptop to get mine, no issues in the 2+ years it's been there, was free)

Your English is a lot better than a significant number of native English speakers I know btw 🙂

other notes:

-raid is redundancy, NOT a backup.

-freesync is pretty good, g-sync ultimate is top tier

-resolution and refresh really depend on the hardware and what you want, above 120/144hz is diminishing returns. If there is a comparable 144hz monitor you like, and is less expensive: I'd recommend that as you'll be unlikely to notice the difference between 144 and 165hz

- as for AMD vs Intel, it really depends. AMD is better in heavily multithreaded performance, but Intel still has single thread crown.

the ATX 4-pin power connector but i don't know what it means. 

It's just that the board has an extra 4 pin that's only really used for serious oc 

Have no plans on overclocking. 

Then id probably switch out the board  primarily then since that board is really only bought for oc 

Is this pc kinda overkill for my needs?

At least the gpu, yeah. That's more of a 1440p ready gpu and the resolution id expect from this budget

Is the air cooler too big for my case?

It's not to big for the case, but it's overkill for your cpu. Something like the deepcool ak400 is a better choice

Only usually 360 and up is where you'll see some benefits. But it's not needed for the cpu you've put in. I'd reccommend looking at the newest gen i.e 13600k which might require a bit more cooling

Is it compatible with lga 1700 socket?

Ddr5 isn't worth it, at least for your uses, unless you go with the newest gen ryzen which requires it

I won't answer the rest of your questions, I'll just make a new list and describe My reasons 

The 13600kf is one of the best cpus on the market right now and with it being only 100 nok over the 12700, it's a pretty obvious choice 

The board availability in Norway appears to be a bit odd, so the h670 tomahawk is the cheapest board I could find with bios flash 

Nice case with airflow for your parts and a good 750 watt psu that can handle all of them

40 minutes ago, Ryuikko said:

Only usually 360 and up is where you'll see some benefits. But it's not needed for the cpu you've put in. I'd reccommend looking at the newest gen i.e 13600k/7700x which might require a bit more cooling

There is a warning in the list saying something about updating bios. What's that all about? Has this something to do with bios flash? And i found the gpu that i had in my list for almost the same prize as the gpu you got in your list in a Norwegian retailer for sale. Is it worth getting?

57 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

https://no.pcpartpicker.com/list/pJNGNc

As of now, there isn't a significant gaming difference between DDR4 and DDR5, so there are some savings to be had there. Got everything as close to the 21k krone budget as I could, 12500 isn't really worth it over 12400F, it's in noman's land between 12400 and 12600 without offering justifiable value over 12400F at its price point. 

windows licences can be found from resellers easily (I used a recovery image from an OEM license from my laptop to get mine, no issues in the 2+ years it's been there, was free)

Your English is a lot better than a significant number of native English speakers I know btw 🙂

other notes:

-raid is redundancy, NOT a backup.

-freesync is pretty good, g-sync ultimate is top tier

-resolution and refresh really depend on the hardware and what you want, above 120/144hz is diminishing returns. If there is a comparable 144hz monitor you like, and is less expensive: I'd recommend that as you'll be unlikely to notice the difference between 144 and 165hz

- as for AMD vs Intel, it really depends. AMD is better in heavily multithreaded performance, but Intel still has single thread crown.

I see that you have a micro-Atx motherboard in your list. Is that ok in a atx case? And whats treads?

6 minutes ago, ArunSH said:

I see that you have a micro-Atx motherboard in your list. Is that ok in a atx case? And whats treads?

mATX on atx case is fine, most cases have moveable standoffs so that you can get them in the exact right spots. 

Threads is true cores and logical cores, Hyperthreading or Simultaneous Multi Threading give you the 6c/12t or in the case of the 12400: 6c/14t with 8 efficiency cores that do not have Hyperthreading (1c/1t) and 3 Performance cores that give 6 threads due to hyperthreading. One thing to note is that the Efficiency cores are quite powerful themselves, equal to regular cores in Intel 6000 series chips.

16 minutes ago, ArunSH said:

There is a warning in the list saying something about updating bios. What's that all about? Has this something to do with bios flash?

Mhm, instead of having to have a cpu that can work on that bios, all you need is a usb drive with the correct bios and then flash it as per the mobos instructions.

17 minutes ago, ArunSH said:

the gpu that i had in my list for almost the same prize as the gpu you got in your list in a Norwegian retailer for sale. Is it worth getting?

Iirc the ventus actually has a bit worse cooling solution than the Asus tuf, so I wouldn't buy it, unless the price difference is it costing less