What cpu?

ConnorMLJ

Budget (including currency): £200

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: mainly for ESO, admittedly modded minecraft, and various workloads due to my job and university 

Other details: I just need to upgrade my CPU.

I just need help choosing, so I’m planning to upgrade my CPU, I currently have an i7-6700k.

I’m stuck between going for a 5600x, and an i5-12400f.

I am useless with all the technical jargon and all sorts. I know that AM4 is pretty much eol. 

When upgrading your CPU you need to remember you will need a new motherboard to fit the CPU in the socket. This goes for both AMD and intel options.

i5-12400 seems a very solid choice in my opinion.

If you want a solid upgrade path I'd wait for ryzen 7000 series, get the cheapest option, then when the 3D V-cache equivilents come out, upgrade to them.

5 minutes ago, Tom_nerd said:

If you want a solid upgrade path I'd wait for ryzen 7000 series, get the cheapest option, then when the 3D V-cache equivilents come out, upgrade to them.

I second that. But if you get a good deal on a 5600, get that one. The difference in speed between a 5600 and 5600x is unnoticeable. Together with the 12400F, if you want to buy now, get whatever you get the best deal on, including the board. All of these CPUs are really close to each other when it comes to your application.