Slow internet when web browsing.

Wolfgang.Siemsen

Hello,

I'm not too sure where to begin with relevant information, but I'll just spill it. I've been having some really slow loading issues when it comes to regular web browsing and video streaming, i.e.; Netflix, HBO and even YouTube. This is a very recent issue and it really only started happening after I left my PC on over night about a week ago(not the first time I've done this). I really wouldn't have anything running either. 

Ever since I got Gigabit internet from Fios, my download, upload, and regular web browsing was incredibly fast, until now. I've tried resetting my modem and router as well. My internet speeds are great when downloading games and playing them. But only my web browsing is having some issues. Would anyone know where to begin to narrow down this issue? Everywhere I look, people simply say, "Hard wire your PC" "get a better ISP". 

Lastly, here are my PC specs:

Mobo - Asrock Z-270 Extreme4

CPU - Intel Core i7 7700k

GPU - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1080 

DIM - 4 x 8GB Corsair Vengence RGB DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 4000(White)

Cooler - Corsair H100i RGB

Storage - Samsung 970 Evo 500GB/2x 2TB WD Black

PSU - EVGA Supernova 850 G3

3 hours ago, Wolfgang.Siemsen said:

But only my web browsing is having some issues.

Have you tried with a different browser?
Have you tried using different DNS servers?

VGhlIHF1aWV0ZXIgeW91IGJlY29tZSwgdGhlIG1vcmUgeW91IGFyZSBhYmxlIHRvIGhlYXIu

^ not a crypto wallet

37 minutes ago, Biohazard777 said:

Have you tried with a different browser?
Have you tried using different DNS servers?

I've been using chrome for a while. But, I decided to make a switch over to the Opera GX client  since  a lot of my friend's use it. But, still the same issue. As for a DNS server, I really have no idea what that is. 

7 hours ago, Wolfgang.Siemsen said:

I've been using chrome for a while. But, I decided to make a switch over to the Opera GX client  since  a lot of my friend's use it. But, still the same issue. As for a DNS server, I really have no idea what that is. 

Give Brave or LibreWolf a try, or pretty much any other bowser, at least just to check if it is browser related.

As for DNS (Domain Name System), that is the thing that translates text (www . sometsite . com) into an address a machine can understand (like 77.12.34.56),

if the DNS is slow to process the request or fails to do so the browser has to wait / can't load a page (because it doesn't know where to pull the files from), especially if you don't have the answer cached locally. That could explain why game downloads work great, but browsing sucks.
Anyhow it is not uncommon for ISP provided DNS services to be poor, I suggest trying:

• Cloudlfare DNS (Primary: 1.1.1.1 , Secondary: 1.0.0.1)
  • or
  • Google DNS (Primary: 8.8.8.8 , Secondary: 8.8.4.4)

As to how to set this up, you can set it up on your router (if it isn't locked by the ISP)
or better yet for the purpose of testing if it helps at all, set it up on your PC (I'm guessing you are using Windows):
https://www.windowscentral.com/software-apps/windows-11/how-to-set-different-dns-settings-on-devices-running-windows-11
^ guide

---------------------

If this doesn't help, could you please explain the problems you are facing in a bit more detail?
For example:

• Are you using ethernet or WiFi?
  • How many devices you have in your local network?
  • Do other devices also have the same issues? If so how are those devices connected?
  • Beside browsing being slow, you mentioned you also have issues with video streaming platforms like YT and Netflix. What exactly is slow: initial page load? scrolling through content? Are videos also constantly buffering and pausing when you try playing them?
  • Have you tried diagnosing the problem? Like pinging your router 100 times and checking for packet loss, pinging an outside IP (like 8.8.8.8) and checking for packet loss, visiting speed checking websites (like fast.com or speedtest.net). 

Or any other info that might be useful.

^ not a crypto wallet

Thanks for the tips!

So far, switching browsers, as well as manual DNS settings did not help my situation. But, when I try to switch back to automatic DNS settings, my computer is unable to reconnect until I restarted my PC(just a note). 

As for your questions:

-My PC is connected using ethernet.

- At most, I would have 2 different devices using the wireless network. A smart TV and my girlfriend's Laptop. Since I made a the switch to Fios Gigabit, those would never interrupt my usage as well.

- For services like YouTube and Netflix, there are usually a handful of thumbnails missing, but titles would still appear. Once I decide to watch anything, the video will automatically default the streaming quality to 480p/360p, and even 160. God forbid I bring it up to 720, the video will buffer within 15 seconds, guaranteed. Movies arent so bad in terms of quality(compared to Youtube), but the buffering is very frequent until I refresh the page.

-I have not attempted diagnosing the problem. I'm not too sure where to begin.

On 10/5/2022 at 6:49 AM, Biohazard777 said:

Give Brave or LibreWolf a try, or pretty much any other bowser, at least just to check if it is browser related.

As for DNS (Domain Name System), that is the thing that translates text (www . sometsite . com) into an address a machine can understand (like 77.12.34.56),

if the DNS is slow to process the request or fails to do so the browser has to wait / can't load a page (because it doesn't know where to pull the files from), especially if you don't have the answer cached locally. That could explain why game downloads work great, but browsing sucks.
Anyhow it is not uncommon for ISP provided DNS services to be poor, I suggest trying:

• Cloudlfare DNS (Primary: 1.1.1.1 , Secondary: 1.0.0.1)
  • or
  • Google DNS (Primary: 8.8.8.8 , Secondary: 8.8.4.4)

As to how to set this up, you can set it up on your router (if it isn't locked by the ISP)
or better yet for the purpose of testing if it helps at all, set it up on your PC (I'm guessing you are using Windows):
https://www.windowscentral.com/software-apps/windows-11/how-to-set-different-dns-settings-on-devices-running-windows-11
^ guide

---------------------

If this doesn't help, could you please explain the problems you are facing in a bit more detail?
For example:

• Are you using ethernet or WiFi?
  • How many devices you have in your local network?
  • Do other devices also have the same issues? If so how are those devices connected?
  • Beside browsing being slow, you mentioned you also have issues with video streaming platforms like YT and Netflix. What exactly is slow: initial page load? scrolling through content? Are videos also constantly buffering and pausing when you try playing them?
  • Have you tried diagnosing the problem? Like pinging your router 100 times and checking for packet loss, pinging an outside IP (like 8.8.8.8) and checking for packet loss, visiting speed checking websites (like fast.com or speedtest.net). 

Or any other info that might be useful.

15 hours ago, Wolfgang.Siemsen said:

Thanks for the tips!

So far, switching browsers, as well as manual DNS settings did not help my situation. But, when I try to switch back to automatic DNS settings, my computer is unable to reconnect until I restarted my PC(just a note). 

As for your questions:

- At most, I would have 2 different devices using the wireless network. A smart TV and my girlfriend's Laptop. Since I made a the switch to Fios Gigabit, those would never interrupt my usage as well.

- For services like YouTube and Netflix, there are usually a handful of thumbnails missing, but titles would still appear. Once I decide to watch anything, the video will automatically default the streaming quality to 480p/360p, and even 160. God forbid I bring it up to 720, the video will buffer within 15 seconds, guaranteed. Movies arent so bad in terms of quality(compared to Youtube), but the buffering is very frequent until I refresh the page.

first you can try testing your internet with only 1 device active, if it runs fine then it could be issue with the bandwidth being shared on your network. if your router has QOS you can try turning that one

On 10/7/2022 at 7:37 PM, Wolfgang.Siemsen said:

Ok, if the same issues are happening on your gf's laptop and the TV then it is most likely ISP related problem (or with the gear they provided).
If not, then the problem is most likely on your end, be it software / windows related or hardware (faulty network card, bad cable etc.).

Let's try diagnosing it now, assuming the issue is on your end.

Open up command prompt (WIN+R, type: cmd, hit enter)

1) For starters check the link speed, copy & paste the following:

wmic nic where netEnabled=true get name, speed

You should get an output that looks something like this:

image.png.6f7aa0b46fcf58e7d93cf08d6b16eb8c.png

^ This is a 10 Gb/s link speed.

Just divide the result with 1000000000 (9 zeroes) to get Gb/s.

If it is 1 Gb/s or higher you are good.
If it is less then you aren't using that fiber to its full potential. 

Causes could be: bad ethernet cable (try with another one), windows bugs, bad network card or its driver , bad settings somewhere, slow router or switch.

2) Check for packet loss between your PC and the router.
First find out the IP address of your router, inside command prompt type in:

ipconfig

You might have more than one adapter, since you've said you are using wired connection it will most like be named something like Ethernet... you aren't interested in wireless, virtual etc. Default gateway is what you are looking for:

image.png.aea400e3429ab0a684f9af78df18c65e.png
Then it is time to ping your router, but pinging it 4 times (default value) doesn't tell you much in terms of packet loss.
So I suggest pinging it 1000 times, this will take ~20 minutes to complete so type in the command and take a break:

ping -n 1000 <insert default gateway IP address here>
# for example: ping -n 1000 192.168.122.1

The output will look like this:
image.png.2657b506ee29a37e264c7f4406e281fc.png

And after a while, when it finishes you will have statistics like this:

image.png.7f9d1fb4bb36ebae86847a46cea6c9b0.png

You are interested in "Lost", for wired connection and when pinging inside your LAN this should be 0

Also, Max shouldn't go into double digits and Average should be 0-5ms.

If you are having packet loss or wild latency then causes could be: bad ethernet cable (try with another one), windows bugs, bad network card or its driver, faulty router or switch.

3) To eliminate windows quirks or driver for windows issues run a live Linux OS from a usb stick.

You should now have a bootable usb stick with Linux distro of your choice on it, you don't need to install it just run it from the stick.
Try browsing, and if the issues are gone... welp it is time for you to do a clean Windows install.

^ not a crypto wallet