Switching my OS, but to what... (linux gaming related)

AntiHero
Go to solution Solved by xAcid9,
12 hours ago, AntiHero said:

Ima try Pop_OS, the out of the gate drivers for Nvidia sells me, just less work on my end. and till theres a solid competitor to them in the market (at least in my mind), im team green. 

If you select use Proprietary driver on Manjaro boot menu, it will load Nvidia driver out of the gate as well iinm. 

So right to the point, outside of work, I'm trying to get away from windows. I do game fairly often as a hobby and have a fair bit of Linux experience and would prefer to use that as my primary OS sooner rather then later. Just searching around the first page of google the most popular choices for this purpose are good ol Ubuntu, Pop_OS, Mint, and Manjaro (Steam OS not an option, needs to function as a Desktop first gaming second). All the listed distros i have used before (Mint the most) but not for gaming. Just wondering if anyone out there has hands on experience they would like to share for which distro to use for gaming.

On 9/28/2022 at 4:48 PM, AntiHero said:

So right to the point, outside of work, I'm trying to get away from windows. I do game fairly often as a hobby and have a fair bit of Linux experience and would prefer to use that as my primary OS sooner rather then later. Just searching around the first page of google the most popular choices for this purpose are good ol Ubuntu, Pop_OS, Mint, and Manjaro (Steam OS not an option, needs to function as a Desktop first gaming second). All the listed distros i have used before (Mint the most) but not for gaming. Just wondering if anyone out there has hands on experience they would like to share for which distro to use for gaming.

same situation here I recommend going for ubuntu or debian as they have the most compatibility with windows software and games 

dont do manjaro it takes extremly long to set up like 3 days

what do u use or desktop for mainly? If u use for cyber security purposes I recommend kali Linux as it has all the hacking tools for pen testing which I have used before 

10 minutes ago, swabro said:

what do u use or desktop for mainly? If u use for cyber security purposes I recommend kali Linux as it has all the hacking tools for pen testing which I have used before 

I actually have a dedicated kali machine, i was trying to keep my security Laptop separate from everything else, BUT! having said that, it would make it alot easier to fiddle with new tools  and ideas without the need to break out an entirely different device. hmmm, not a bad idea i suppose

I'm on Manjaro and that is my main OS. I game daily but my game is mostly single player or multiplayer without anti-cheat.

You need to check ProtonDB or Lutris for game compatibility or workaround on how to make it work or if it outright unplayable. 

Also I'd put Fedora in that list as well. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

4 minutes ago, xAcid9 said:

I'm on Manjaro and that is my main OS. I game daily but my game is mostly single player or multiplayer without anti-cheat.

You need to check ProtonDB or Lutris for game compatibility or workaround on how to make it work or if it outright unplayable. 

Also I'd put Fedora in that list as well. 

I have heard, with the exception of the above comment that manjaro is solid choice. Honestly i really like the look of it too. I have 2 USBs ready to go, 1 Pop_OS and 1 Manjaro at this point. Proton i have used and works great, Lutris i've heard of but havent tried. I wont convert my desktop though till i get ff14 running on the laptop.... so fingers crossed.

Ima try Pop_OS, the out of the gate drivers for Nvidia sells me, just less work on my end. and till theres a solid competitor to them in the market (at least in my mind), im team green. 

12 hours ago, AntiHero said:

If you select use Proprietary driver on Manjaro boot menu, it will load Nvidia driver out of the gate as well iinm. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Both fedora and popos are great options, pop especially if you own a Nvidia gpu. Comes preinstalled with drivers and all that jazz so you don't have to worry about it yourself. I have turned to Fedora recently after using Arch just for simplicity and stability. Fedora has all of the packages that I could need along with having one of the fastest package managers I've ever used.

I advise giving both a try for a bit and seeing what works for you, I've had great experience with steam and lutris on both systems.

On 9/29/2022 at 9:40 AM, xAcid9 said:

Funny, it's actually what I wound up doing. I tried pop OS for a little bit but I really just wasn't feeling the aesthetic and I much happier with Manjaro.