Bandwidth Question

cxz

Alright so I seem to have never learned this, found this information, or too dumb to understand.  Anyway I want to know, does a n900 router allow more devices to connect to it than n600?  If it does, does that also mean that if a n600 could only support 1 device to stream and the n900 would allow 2 devices to stream simultaneously?  I've always been under the impression that you only benefit if you had a homeserver or something equivilant.  Thanks

N900 devices tyipcally allow more connection than N600 but it's not due specifically to the increased bandwidth. It's because they typically have higher grade hardware.

Read the specs sheets for whatever router/gateway your planning on purchasing and they'll usually have some stupid high numbers for maximum concurrent clients I've seen some devices by reputable manufacturers claim to get 250 simultaneous clients on a N router. Of course I'm sure thats only acheived in a 'dead' room where the wireless space is totally silent.

N900 devices tyipcally allow more connection than N600 but it's not due specifically to the increased bandwidth. It's because they typically have higher grade hardware.

Read the specs sheets for whatever router/gateway your planning on purchasing and they'll usually have some stupid high numbers for maximum concurrent clients I've seen some devices by reputable manufacturers claim to get 250 simultaneous clients on a N router. Of course I'm sure thats only acheived in a 'dead' room where the wireless space is totally silent.

So you're saying that there really isn't a difference and the main factor is your internet connection?  Also is the range on ac routers further than n? Or is the 5GHz band still degraded as n when it goes through objects and the distance on n and ac is the same?  Thanks

So you're saying that there really isn't a difference and the main factor is your internet connection?  Also is the range on ac routers further than n? Or is the 5GHz band still degraded as n when it goes through objects and the distance on n and ac is the same?  Thanks

5GHz can be even more effected by objects in the way at times. The main factor would be your internet connection, unless you're very far from the router or you are doing large file transfers.

CPU: i7 3770k @ 4.8Ghz Motherboard: Sabertooth Z77 RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance GPU: GTX 780 Case: Corsair 540 Air Storage: 2x Intel 520 SSD Raid 0 PSU: Corsair AX850 Display(s): 1x 27" Samsung Monitor 3x 24" Asus Monitors Cooling: Swifttech H220 Keyboard: Logitech 710+ Mouse: Logitech G500 Headphones: Sennheiser HD 558 --- Internet: http://linustechtips.com/main/uploads/gallery/album_1107/gallery_12431_1107_23677.png My Setup:  http://linustechtips.com/main/gallery/image/7922-1-rkcf7io/ -- NAS: 3x WD Red 3TB Drives (RAIDZ-1), 5x 750gb Seagate ES HDD(RAIDZ-1), 120gb SSD for caching, OS: FreeNAS --  Server 1: Xeon E3 1275v2, 32GB of RAM, OS: ESXi 5.5 -- Server 2: Xeon E3 1220v2, 32GB of RAM, OS: ESXi 5.5

5GHz can be even more effected by objects in the way at times. The main factor would be your internet connection, unless you're very far from the router or you are doing large file transfers.

I unfortunately work at Best Buy and am trying to make sure I understand the differences in the different routers.  I can build computers all day, but I suck at networking...lol  So basically anyone that doesn't want to "future proof" their network and doesn't have any type of home network a n600 router is better, unless they have a lot of devices then a n900?