5 beeps on start up

MarkVintel2
Go to solution Solved by Needfuldoer,

Gigabyte has all their manuals on their support site. Look up the manual for your specific motherboard, it will tell you what the beeps mean.

As a quick and dirty shotgun troubleshooting step, reseat your RAM and GPU. (It feels like no-POST errors can be cured most of the time by reseating RAM.) If that doesn't get the machine to POST, you only wasted a couple minutes.

Hello. When I boot my PC the speaker beeps 5 times. I checked and it could be from the display cable, CPU, CMOS battery... I built it a few days ago and everything works perfectly. What do those beeps mean? The MoBo is gigabyte.

41 minutes ago, MarkVintel2 said:

Hello. When I boot my PC the speaker beeps 5 times. I checked and it could be from the display cable, CPU, CMOS battery... I built it a few days ago and everything works perfectly. What do those beeps mean? The MoBo is gigabyte.

Sounds like a beep code.  Which would mean it’s finding something isn’t kosher in POST.  If it’s working well enough I’d be tempted to just not mess with it. Well enough is well enough.  Could do to check event logs and temps and stuff and maybe do a benchmark or two though just to make sure it’s actually working perfectly.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Beep codes can vary even within the same manufacturer, and it also matters if the beeps are long or short. You might need to contact Gigabyte to see if they have a list of beep codes for your model. Even then, beep codes usually just point you in the direction. You could try Googling something like "gigabyte <model> beep codes" and see if that gets you anything useful.

The computer should generally still boot even if the CMOS is dead unless the default configuration isn't compatible with your setup; dead CMOS just reverts it to factory defaults. Reseat every cable connection. Try elimination testing; boot with the bare minimum you'd need to start it. Use one stick of RAM in the leftmost slot, if that doesn't work use a different stick of RAM in the rightmost slot. If you have an iGPU, take the graphics card out and connect to it instead (assuming it's active). If you have other addon cards, take them out.

Edit: didn't realize you said the computer boots WITH the beep code... I'm not sure about that. Maybe dirty power? If it still boots and you're not getting unusual behavior or worse-than-usual temps, I'd just keep an eye on it.

Gigabyte has all their manuals on their support site. Look up the manual for your specific motherboard, it will tell you what the beeps mean.

As a quick and dirty shotgun troubleshooting step, reseat your RAM and GPU. (It feels like no-POST errors can be cured most of the time by reseating RAM.) If that doesn't get the machine to POST, you only wasted a couple minutes.

I sold my soul for ProSupport.

8 hours ago, MarkVintel2 said:

switch your monitor on so its looking for a signal and time it right at the same time your computer is switching on. this may fix your issue

1 minute ago, FrostX said:

switch your monitor on so its looking for a signal and time it right at the same time your computer is switching on. this may fix your issue

There used to be pass through 110v power outs on PSUs to do just that.  Died with soft on though.  That’s clever.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Just now, Bombastinator said:

There used to be pass through 110v power outs on PSUs to do just that.  Died with soft on though.  That’s clever.

Had this exact issue with my gigabyte today, I thought I had a dead on arrival card but it was this ... who would of thought it was so trivial to fix

17 minutes ago, FrostX said:

Had this exact issue with my gigabyte today, I thought I had a dead on arrival card but it was this ... who would of thought it was so trivial to fix

This implies a monitor issue of some sort.  Turning on the monitor first and doing a wake from sleep should cover it.