High idle and thermal throttle under load

Go to solution Solved by M0NSTER_D0SE,
2 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

I think its the other way round, also gd900 can be quite inconsistent too but i personally havent had any real issues with it (bought a 30g tub for 2$, mainly cause i fix up and test a decent amount of hardware, also cause good value and cheap)

I wish I knew what thermalpaste they originally used on the AIO so I could order that. I had many problems with my old CPU (8600k) and did a lot of testing with it in the past, also changed to an 9700k a friend gave me, before I bought the 12600kf. None of them had any thermal issues and MX4 worked just fine on all of them. After I just updated my BIOS the max temp under stress test load (100% load in intel Extreme Tuning Utility) is around 65° C now.. I have no idea whats going on but to me the pump seems to be working just fine. Maybe some issue with the XMP profile or something like that

Hi, my CPU (i5-12600kf) is getting higher idle temps than usual and thermal throttles under load. It is not overclocked and running with idle settings and XMP!

I have a Fractal Lumen S36 AIO and in the past it has always worked fine. For a few days I have noticed my fans ramping up under little to no load and checked the thermals. The idle temps ranged from mid to high 40s when in the past the y used to be in the low to mid 30s. Under full load (doing a stress test) my CPU reaches 100° and thermal throttles. The cooling tubes feel warm to the touch but the radiator is cold. The pump appears to be working though as it shows up in both BIOS and HWMonitor with its usual 4000rpm. I even tested it by unplugging it from the motherboard and booting into bios, where my CPU temp was 50 and climbing (i checked before with pump plugged in and it was low 30). So both the pump and the readouts should be correct and working right?

I initially thought that the latest win 11 update broke something for me but I uninstalled it and nothing changed. I just installed ARGB lighting to my case, which is the only hardware change I made to my computer in the past few months. but with the light strips disconnected from the motherboard there is no change in behaviour either.

UPDATE: I updated my BIOS and did the same CPU stress test, my temps peaked at 86° and idle sits at around 40. I don't know if its fixed but I will keep you updated. For now it seems to be working like usual though. I will change my thermal paste to Coolermasters MasterGel Pro V2 and see if that makes a difference. In case that doesn't work, I have already contacted Fractal and will work on a solution with them aswell, should not take long as their customer service is great from my experience so far. 

Edited by M0NSTER_D0SE
Update on topic

20 minutes ago, M0NSTER_D0SE said:

Hi, my CPU (i5-12600kf) is getting higher idle temps than usual and thermal throttles under load. It is not overclocked and running with idle settings and XMP!

I have a Fractal Lumen S36 AIO and in the past it has always worked fine. For a few days I have noticed my fans ramping up under little to no load and checked the thermals. The idle temps ranged from mid to high 40s when in the past the y used to be in the low to mid 30s. Under full load (doing a stress test) my CPU reaches 100° and thermal throttles. The cooling tubes feel warm to the touch but the radiator is cold. The pump appears to be working though as it shows up in both BIOS and HWMonitor with its usual 4000rpm. I even tested it by unplugging it from the motherboard and booting into bios, where my CPU temp was 50 and climbing (i checked before with pump plugged in and it was low 30). So both the pump and the readouts should be correct and working right?

I initially thought that the latest win 11 update broke something for me but I uninstalled it and nothing changed. I just installed ARGB lighting to my case, which is the only hardware change I made to my computer in the past few months. but with the light strips disconnected from the motherboard there is no change in behaviour either.

might be the thermal paste, incorrect mounting or dead pump but i doubt its dead

Main:

• CPU
    10700k 5ghz All core 47 ring ratio 1.275v
  • Motherboard
    MSI Z590 A Pro
  • RAM
    4x8 viper steel samsung bdie: 4200-17-17-30
  • GPU
    Gigabyte RTX 3080 Gaming Oc
  • Case
    O11 air mini
  • Storage
    970 Evo Plus 500gb OS, Sn550 1tb, 860 evo 500gb, 2tb MX500
  • PSU
    RM750x (2018)
  • Display(s)
    Acer Nitro vg272up, Kogan 24 1080 120hz
  • Cooling
    arctic 280aio, EK M.2 NVMe Heatsink on 970 evo plus

Second: 
    Cpu: i5-8400
    Cooling: ID-Cooling Frostflow 120x
    Ram: 2x8gb 2666 c16 hyperx fury, tuned the absolute balls out of it but def not stehble.
    Mobo: Asus Prime H310M-K
    Gpu: Igpu
    Case: Coolermaster MB311L

21 minutes ago, M0NSTER_D0SE said:

what thermal paste do ya use?

8 minutes ago, MingLee420 said:

might be the thermal paste, incorrect mounting or dead pump but i doubt its dead

I have had the thermal paste apllied for a few months, since I installed the CPU, never had any issues. Applied an appropriate amount of Arctic MX4

10 minutes ago, bal723 said:

what thermal paste do ya use?

Arctic MX4, appropriate amount ofc

3 minutes ago, M0NSTER_D0SE said:

Arctic MX4, appropriate amount ofc

mx4 is pretty bad for high end systems like ya got, also what case ya got and wheres ur radiator mounted: front, rear or top of the case?

11 minutes ago, bal723 said:

mx4 is pretty bad for high end systems like ya got, also what case ya got and wheres ur radiator mounted: front, rear or top of the case?

Fractal Torrent full sized, the radiator is mounted in the front, I have 2x additional 180mm intakes at the bottom and 1x 120mm exhaust in the rear. What thermal paste do you recommend? 

2 minutes ago, M0NSTER_D0SE said:

Fractal Torrent full sized, the radiator is mounted in the front, I have 2x additional 180mm intakes at the bottom and 1x 120mm exhaust in the rear. What thermal paste do you recommend? 

noctua ones or coolermaster ones

25 minutes ago, bal723 said:

noctua ones or coolermaster ones

Thanks, I just ordered a tube of coolermasters mastergel pro v2 maybe it helps

7 minutes ago, M0NSTER_D0SE said:

👍

7 minutes ago, M0NSTER_D0SE said:

Mx4 is good

If you want proper highend thermal paste look at gelid gc extreme, kingpin kpx, or kryonaut, no garbage coolermater aint gonna do it, but nth1 and nth2 are also pretty decent

4 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Mx4 is good

If you want proper highend thermal paste look at gelid gc extreme, kingpin kpx, or kryonaut, no garbage coolermater aint gonna do it, but nth1 and nth2 are also pretty decent

coolermaster is good bro.

2 minutes ago, bal723 said:

coolermaster is good bro.

Lmao theyre no better than arctic why even bother sidegrading

Its either mx 4 or straight to highend pastes, anything else is equivalent or worse than mx 4 (incl outdated garbage as5)

3 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

Lmao theyre no better than arctic why even bother sidegrading

Its either mx 4 or straight to highend pastes, anything else is equivalent or worse than mx 4 (incl outdated garbage as5)

mx4 is just a copy of gd900 but with 5x price

43 minutes ago, bal723 said:

mx4 is just a copy of gd900 but with 5x price

I think its the other way round, also gd900 can be quite inconsistent too but i personally havent had any real issues with it (bought a 30g tub for 2$, mainly cause i fix up and test a decent amount of hardware, also cause good value and cheap)

2 minutes ago, Somerandomtechyboi said:

I wish I knew what thermalpaste they originally used on the AIO so I could order that. I had many problems with my old CPU (8600k) and did a lot of testing with it in the past, also changed to an 9700k a friend gave me, before I bought the 12600kf. None of them had any thermal issues and MX4 worked just fine on all of them. After I just updated my BIOS the max temp under stress test load (100% load in intel Extreme Tuning Utility) is around 65° C now.. I have no idea whats going on but to me the pump seems to be working just fine. Maybe some issue with the XMP profile or something like that

47 minutes ago, M0NSTER_D0SE said:

Welp only solution now looks to be undervolting

Set multi to 48-50 and vcore to 1.2-1.25v both static and disable any speedstep eist tvb garbage for a completely rock solid static oc (c states on since they just turn off parts of or the core aka basically making em sleep), idiot mobos keep running 1.4v+ for a meager 5ghz pcore when irl only 1.25v is needed