How should I setup my fans?

afaq0

Hi. Most of my fans are pretty silent (Noctua) except for my front case fans.

I have a spare 1700 rpm Noctua CPU cooler fan and I've ordered a Noctua NF-P12 redux-1300 PWM. I currently have a 1200 rpm Noctua fan for the exhaust. 

I'll be having 2 of these fans at the front and one as the exhaust.
The exhaust fan is connected to the motherboard while the front fans take power from the PSU. 

How should I arrange these 3 fans for the best cooling/noise? 

15 minutes ago, afaq0 said:

The exhaust fan is connected to the motherboard while the front fans take power from the PSU. 

If there's no way to connect the front fans to the motherboard (what model do you have?), then i'd put the two lower RPM fans at the front & the fastest one at the rear. That way the fronts (which will be running at max RPM all the time) will be quieter, & the rear (which you'll be able to control the RPM via BIOS/mobo software) will be running at much lower than its maximum of 1700RPM.

1 hour ago, Ralfi said:

If there's no way to connect the front fans to the motherboard (what model do you have?), then i'd put the two lower RPM fans at the front & the fastest one at the rear. That way the fronts (which will be running at max RPM all the time) will be quieter, & the rear (which you'll be able to control the RPM via BIOS/mobo software) will be running at much lower than its maximum of 1700RPM.

My motherboard is the Asus A320M-K. 
That's a good solution. Thanks! I'll go for this setup. 

I'm also curious if the 'low noise adapters' would work on the front fans that are connected to the PSU? I have two that I could use to prevent them from running at max. 

1 hour ago, afaq0 said:

My motherboard is the Asus A320M-K. 
That's a good solution. Thanks! I'll go for this setup. 

I'm also curious if the 'low noise adapters' would work on the front fans that are connected to the PSU? I have two that I could use to prevent them from running at max. 

If the LNA has a molex plug on the end then it should work, but IIRC they only work when plugged into a motherboard header.

Does that motherboard have 1 x CPU & 1 x Chassis fan header? If so, maybe you could daisy-chain your three case fans & run them off your Chassis fan header & then use ASUS Fan Xpert to control their RPM. You'd need to make sure your Chassis fan header's able to take the power of three fans though.

On 9/14/2022 at 3:48 AM, Ralfi said:

If the LNA has a molex plug on the end then it should work, but IIRC they only work when plugged into a motherboard header.

Does that motherboard have 1 x CPU & 1 x Chassis fan header? If so, maybe you could daisy-chain your three case fans & run them off your Chassis fan header & then use ASUS Fan Xpert to control their RPM. You'd need to make sure your Chassis fan header's able to take the power of three fans though.

Thank you for the suggestion! I did what you said and got a fan splitter. I'm going to set it up now. They will all be connected to the Chassis Fan Header. 

Should I connect the low noise adapter to the 1700rpm fan? I feel that it might be strange having 1700 rpm and 1200 rpm fans connected to the same splitter. 

Hopefully it works well!

9 hours ago, afaq0 said:

Should I connect the low noise adapter to the 1700rpm fan?

Not sure. Will that LNA will only apply to the 1700rpm fan or all of them, if they’re daisy-chained?

Also, if the first fan off the motherboard is the 1200 or 1300rpm fan, then the software will only see that fan & possibly essentially work as a LNA in that it will treat all fans max rpm as 1200rpm. 

I’m not 100% sure on the above. Might be worth testing without the LNA & see how they react to your fan curve. 

Hopefully others can confirm the above.