Transferring windows to another drive?

Cringe123

Hello. My tb ssd is full of games, so I want to get an m.2 250gb ssd to store my windows and programs on, and use the tb hard drive just for games. Is there anyway to move my copy over without needing to reinstall everything? Thank you.

you can make an exact copy with Clonezilla.

Install Clonezilla on a usb drive, boot from the usb drive with both ssd's attached, select the source and destination drive and let it run.

Just now, Sjaakie said:

you can make an exact copy with Clonezilla.

Install Clonezilla on a usb drive, boot from the usb drive with both ssd's attached, select the source and destination drive and let it run.

Great, ill look into that

I thought you meant going from the small to the large drive. You can do the reverse with Clonezilla but it takes some extra steps.

Sounds like your best course of action is rather to leave Windows where it is and move existing/install new games on the new SSD.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

14 minutes ago, Sjaakie said:

I thought you meant going from the small to the large drive. You can do the reverse with Clonezilla but it takes some extra steps.

The problem here is he's going from a 1TB to a 250GB and just wants to move Windows to the new smaller drive and leave the games on the 1TB, not clone the entire drive

@Cringe123 please confirm.

If this is what he wants, not sure that's possible.

Desktop: Intel i7-13700K / Asus ROG Strix  z690-e / Nvidia 4080 FE / 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator / 2TB  WD SN850x  / 48" Lg C2 & 27" Asus ProArt

Plex Server: Dell OptiPlex 7010 /  i7-13700 /  32GB DDR5 / 1TB Samsung  990 Pro / Ubuntu

Laptop: M2 Macbook Air / 8G ram / 8core CPU / 10core GPU / 512GB SSD

NAS: Synology 1821+ , 2x Synology RS819 = 200TB 

I think there's a way to just clone a partition, assuming he has the windows on a separate partition (if not, just separate it), you could just clone the OS from the OS partition. I think this guide displays just that, https://www.diskpart.com/resource/clone-os-to-new-hard-drive.html

Not an expert, just bored at work. Please quote me or mention me if you would like me to see your reply. **may edit my posts a few times after posting**

CPU: Intel i5-12400

GPU: Asus TUF RX 6800 XT OC

Mobo: Asus Prime B660M-A D4 WIFI MSI PRO B760M-A WIFI DDR4

RAM: Team Delta TUF Alliance 2x8GB DDR4 3200MHz CL16

SSD: Team MP33 1TB

PSU: MSI MPG A850GF

Case: Phanteks Eclipse P360A

Cooler: ID-Cooling SE-234 ARGB

Pcpartpicker: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/wnxDfv
Displays: Samsung Odyssey G5 S32AG50 32" 1440p 165hz | AOC 27G2E 27" 1080p 144hz

Laptop: ROG Strix Scar III G531GU Intel i5-9300H GTX 1660Ti Mobile| OS: Windows 10 Home

21 hours ago, Dukesilver27- said:

I think there's a way to just clone a partition, assuming he has the windows on a separate partition (if not, just separate it), you could just clone the OS from the OS partition. I think this guide displays just that, https://www.diskpart.com/resource/clone-os-to-new-hard-drive.html

What I would plan to do it delete all my games from the drive, making there only my programs and windows left, clone it to the smaller one. Then just reinstall them again.

On 9/7/2022 at 10:57 PM, MonkeyBomb said:

The problem here is he's going from a 1TB to a 250GB and just wants to move Windows to the new smaller drive and leave the games on the 1TB, not clone the entire drive

@Cringe123 please confirm.

If this is what he wants, not sure that's possible.

Yes it is. But I would delete my games and just reinstall them once windows is moved.

15 hours ago, Cringe123 said:

Yes it is. But I would delete my games and just reinstall them once windows is moved.

Then you can use Marcium Reflect free.  It works really well.

Desktop: Intel i7-13700K / Asus ROG Strix  z690-e / Nvidia 4080 FE / 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator / 2TB  WD SN850x  / 48" Lg C2 & 27" Asus ProArt

Plex Server: Dell OptiPlex 7010 /  i7-13700 /  32GB DDR5 / 1TB Samsung  990 Pro / Ubuntu

Laptop: M2 Macbook Air / 8G ram / 8core CPU / 10core GPU / 512GB SSD

NAS: Synology 1821+ , 2x Synology RS819 = 200TB 

Clonezilla is utter trash. Nobody uses Clonezilla for backups and iits not partition or OS aware. 

You can clone Windows live in place with Macrium reflect. It can go from different size drives provided there's room.