New Build

fhedman
Go to solution Solved by Ryuikko,

For his uses he might be better off with a laptop since it has a integrated webcam/mic

You can build a good pc at this price point, some random dell optiplex isn't needed

if you're looking more towards a tower style, I'd go with something like this

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8hqWmr

The 12400f is a solid cpu for this price point and can handle all of the needed tasks pretty easily

Stock cooler should be enough for the 12400f 

Good board for the price (is wifi needed?)

Cheapest kit of 16gb ram

Good 1tb storage

6600xt which is a good bang for the buck gpu

Nice case and a decent 650 watt psu

A bit over the listed budget of 800, but if you don't want to spend that gift card, you can cut down to a 6600 as well as some other minor changes to bring you to that 800 dollar mark

Budget (including currency): $800

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Virtual school, minecraft, steam games 

Other details  1 existing monitor has 1080p capability but current cpu cant reach that, have keyboard,mouse and windows. Wifi will be needed built in or adapter doesnt matter. 

Greetings, 

Hello, let me start by saying I appreciate any time anyone can put in thank you! I am looking to build a new pc for my son, he is 8 years old and will be using it for virtual school and whatever gaming is possible. He plays minecraft and a limited number of steam games, most wont run as it says are graphics are too low. He is currently running an old custom built given to him by my brother it has onboard graphics and only the keyboard and mouse usb ports in the back work. He needs to upgrade for school because a webcam is required and he wants to play some steam games mostly hello neighbor, it will currently not run. I got a $400 amazon gift card from work and I am going to add $400 could possibly stretch. I havent built a pc before but I have watched alot of youtube videos of Linus so I feel confident. I initially asked my work buddy for help but he says with my budget I cant build anything decent, he says I am better off buying a dell or hp, if this is the case would you be able to recommend something? I was looking at the prebuilt HP's at Walmart, would that be a better option? Thanks in advance and I appreciate the help. 

Regards

For his uses he might be better off with a laptop since it has a integrated webcam/mic

You can build a good pc at this price point, some random dell optiplex isn't needed

if you're looking more towards a tower style, I'd go with something like this

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/8hqWmr

The 12400f is a solid cpu for this price point and can handle all of the needed tasks pretty easily

Stock cooler should be enough for the 12400f 

Good board for the price (is wifi needed?)

Cheapest kit of 16gb ram

Good 1tb storage

6600xt which is a good bang for the buck gpu

Nice case and a decent 650 watt psu

A bit over the listed budget of 800, but if you don't want to spend that gift card, you can cut down to a 6600 as well as some other minor changes to bring you to that 800 dollar mark

Thank you! I am going with your recommendation.