UnRaid Migration

So, I am looking to get a new machine to use as my unraid server next month.  I currently run 1 parity drive and 3 storage drives in my array with a 400Gb ssd as a cach drive.  However, the new machine will only accept 2.5 inch drives, and my current drives are 3.5 inch drives.  How can I migrate my data to the new machine, as I can't put the old drives into the new machine obviously.

Old server is in a standard case, new one will be a blade style server.

You can use zfs send and zfs receive to move the data from one.machine to another.

Don't ask me how it works though as I only know it exists. Not how it's used.

I am not sure why people are recommending methods that require ZFS.  As far as I am aware UnRaid does nor use ZFS, at least not base.

Okay -- define unraid for us ignorant of such software!

Why RAID with Linux when you can ZFS?  It appears to be a no-brainer unless your explanation of the problem was incomplete.  Please EXPLAIN

On 8/18/2022 at 6:53 PM, TorC said:

Okay -- define unraid for us ignorant of such software!

unRaid is a linux distribution built on slackware. with unraid there are some benefits, it uses a single (or two) parity disks with the only requirement being that it is the largest disk in the array. by writing parity to that disk it allows any one (or two if you have two parity disks) to fail in the array. One of the big benefits of this system, is that you can very easily mix and match drives and drive sizes, as long as your parity disk is larger than any one disk in the array, which can be helpful for people who like to shuck drives and get stuff on sale.

unraid also is a fully featured linux distro which is nice for hobbyists that want to run a home server that has features like docker, ftp, VMs etc.

If your question is answered, mark it so.  | It's probably just coil whine, and it is probably just fine |   LTT Movie Club!

Read the docs. If they don't exist, write them. | Professional Thread Derailer

Desktop: i7-8700K, RTX 2080, 16G 3200Mhz, EndeavourOS(host), win10 (VFIO), Fedora(VFIO)

Server: ryzen 9 5900x, GTX 970, 64G 3200Mhz, Unraid.

On 8/14/2022 at 9:53 PM, Draconicwraith said:

So, I am looking to get a new machine to use as my unraid server next month.  I currently run 1 parity drive and 3 storage drives in my array with a 400Gb ssd as a cach drive.  However, the new machine will only accept 2.5 inch drives, and my current drives are 3.5 inch drives.  How can I migrate my data to the new machine, as I can't put the old drives into the new machine obviously.

Old server is in a standard case, new one will be a blade style server.

can you connect the drives without actually mounting them in place at first and then swap out one at a time to the smaller form factor and rebuild the array?

I also think you may be able to use a disk imager and just image each drive, though i am not sure that would work.

you may have better luck over on the unraid forums.

If your question is answered, mark it so.  | It's probably just coil whine, and it is probably just fine |   LTT Movie Club!

Read the docs. If they don't exist, write them. | Professional Thread Derailer

Desktop: i7-8700K, RTX 2080, 16G 3200Mhz, EndeavourOS(host), win10 (VFIO), Fedora(VFIO)

Server: ryzen 9 5900x, GTX 970, 64G 3200Mhz, Unraid.

On 8/15/2022 at 9:43 AM, Draconicwraith said:

I am not sure why people are recommending methods that require ZFS.  As far as I am aware UnRaid does nor use ZFS, at least not base.

I honestly thought thats what ZFS was used. I honestly dont use Unraid and never have.