Running docker containers on my windows server.

I need to run at least one docker container on my windows server 2016 server. I have three possible options and I would like the communities opinion on them.

Option 1: Linux vm with all my docker containers installed on it

Option 2: Using docker for windows which basically spins up a linux vm for every container i think

Option 3: use this guide or one similar to install the required modules to run docker without extra steps.

Thanks for your responses!

I guess it mostly depends on what your scope (i.e. usecase) is, and how comfortable with Linux you are. I'd lean towards the first option, imo Linux is a way better server for really any kind of application except Microsoft's. Even if you're not familiar with it setting up Docker is very straightforward, but I'd understand not wanting to learn bash and stuff if it's for a one-off thing.

Other benefits include getting all the advantages of using a VM (snapshots, dynamic resource allocation, etc), a better experience if you need to do anything network-related (both on the container and host level) and access to all of the tools that Linux has to offer.