MSI Titan: GT73VR 6RE

Go to solution Solved by killswitch6000,
3 hours ago, trevb0t said:

Is undervolting something that would help with heat generation, and where would I look for guides?

it does. but being loud and hot is kinda a trademark of MSI laptops. undervolting should help tho in reducing temps ( ur FPS may actually improve ). as for guides, here is one:

1. enter bios

2. get into MSI's epic advanced bios ( there is a cheat code that i dont remember right now )

3. check the internet for the value of stable undervolt that can be used for ur model of CPU.

4. if there is a + sign near the undervolt box, change it to - sign

5. enter the undervolt value in the box

as for the exact location of the undervolting box, i dont really know. but check this video out. the last part of this video will have the location in the bios. its a newer model of the titan. but the steps shown should work.  

Hey guys!

I have always been a desktop guy, but I came across this laptop pretty inexpensively after I sold my last desktop in a pinch.

It has in i7, 16GB and a GTX 1070, which is all good enough for my personal gaming needs.

My question is about heat. I understand that laptops just deal with heat differently than desktops, and it is just going to get warm.

But when I'm playing more intensive titles, it does start to notably throttle after maybe an hour.

I does also have a cooling overhaul button that blows this crazy loud fan and helps it cool pretty effectively. But it's loud and drives my wife nuts!

I put some MX-4 on the CPU, which works well for other PCs I've built in the past. I am not certain I have noted any real differences.

I'm wondering if maybe undervolting is something I should be exploring? I'm not super concerned with losing a few FPS if it makes me more comfortable in the long run.

Is undervolting something that would help with heat generation, and where would I look for guides?

3 hours ago, trevb0t said:

it does. but being loud and hot is kinda a trademark of MSI laptops. undervolting should help tho in reducing temps ( ur FPS may actually improve ). as for guides, here is one:

1. enter bios

2. get into MSI's epic advanced bios ( there is a cheat code that i dont remember right now )

3. check the internet for the value of stable undervolt that can be used for ur model of CPU.

as for the exact location of the undervolting box, i dont really know. but check this video out. the last part of this video will have the location in the bios. its a newer model of the titan. but the steps shown should work.  

2 hours ago, killswitch6000 said:

1. enter bios

Thanks very much!