Sonos causing interference?

Harry.L

For the past 7-8 months me and my family have been experiencing an interference within the house which from what we have concluded seems to be caused by our sonos system, The interference is strongest in our living room where there are the most sonos speakers (6+sonos roam sometimes) and completely wipes out all wireless signals, the Bluetooth from the sonos roam and my airpods completely cut out unless extremely close to the phone its connected to, our wifi is completely cut off too, i also have multiple wireless peripherals at my gaming setup including a g915 keyboard, gpro mouse and corsair virtuoso headset which all too get interfered with however since my room is on the other side of the house the interference is weak in comparison. 

Sonos products 

S2 System 

Living room 

• Sonos playbar 

• Sonos sub Gen 3(Grouped with the playbar) 

• 2 Sonos Play 3s (grouped together) 

• Sonos Play 1 

• Sonos One 

Kitchen 

• Sonos play 1 

Other 

• Roam (Usually moving around throughout the day) 

S1 System 

Front bedroom (furthest room for living room) 

• Sonos Play 5 

Garage 

• Sonos play 5 

From what we have tried we know its not the s1 system causing this as we have completely unplugged both speakers on this system and the problem remained. 

What we have tried in attempts to fix 

• Connect all speakers onto the sonos net 

• Connect all speakers directly to the router via ethernet cables and disabling wifi for all speakers through sonos app. 

• Getting new router sent out by sky 

• Upgrading our broadband so we would have a completely new model of router. 

• Changing trueplay for sub+sound bar to another location which seems to have changed the interference 

• Disabling true play which didn't do anything 

• Disconnecting all speakers from the system and creating a new system  

• Unplugging all speakers for a day which we believe did stop any interference for that day but once they were plugged back in nothing had changed. 

From what I can tell the interference seems to kick in faster when the subs bass is turned up higher and when listening to songs through Spotify, however the problem still happens regularly when watching TV with the output being the soundbar connected to the TV via optical cable. 

Hopefully someone on here has the knowledge to help us fix this problem as this has been driving us crazy for months. 

If anyone needs any more information please ask and I'll try my best to get you an answer 

Welcome to the forums!

I'm not 100% clear on what is being wiped out. Is it *all* wi-fi and *all* bluetooth for *all* devices? Does the 5Ghz band drop too? 

Have you tried grabbing a spectrum analyzer app for your phone? It can show you what bands are being overloaded.

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

1 hour ago, OddOod said:

Welcome to the forums!

I'm not 100% clear on what is being wiped out. Is it *all* wi-fi and *all* bluetooth for *all* devices? Does the 5Ghz band drop too? 

Have you tried grabbing a spectrum analyzer app for your phone? It can show you what bands are being overloaded.

Thanks for responding,

So once this interference starts, it seems like all wifi, bluetooth and possibly other wireless signals as my wireless mouse and keyboard are effected however im unsure of the wireless technology for my mouse and keyboard but i know they are not bluetooth as they use a dongle.

As for the 5Ghz band i am unsure how to check this, in my router settings the option to sync 2.4 Ghz and 5Ghz bands is on so if there is a way to check or if i should turn off this option please let me know.

I have not tried a spectrum analyzer app however the next time i am able to (when the interference next starts) ill use the app and try get some results to share.

On 7/27/2022 at 3:29 PM, Harry.L said:

I have not tried a spectrum analyzer app however the next time i am able to (when the interference next starts) ill use the app and try get some results to share

I'd recommend trying the analyzer in both good conditions and bad. That lets you compare them. 

That being said, Logi uses the 2.4Ghz band for its wireless dongles which is also the freq of bluetooth so it's definitely possible that you're getting that band flooded.
You can potentially trigger the issue by running your microwave. 

My guess is that the band is getting overloaded, and the way IP/wifi works is retransmission of data if it thinks the packet got dropped. So what's happening is the transmitters are noticing the packets dropping, then they retransmit again and again and again.

The thing that I'm confused about is that you tried hardwiring them and disabling wifi which should rule out the sonos as a culprit. So I'm wondering what your housing situation is. Are you in an apartment or on a zero-lot-line property? If so, one of your neighbors could be responsible.

Honestly, this is the closest I've ever gotten to doing a ReplyAll Super Tech Support and I'm kind of stoked to work this out with you

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup