Win10 + eGPU Screen Freeze w/ a Twist

thePipester

Hey Friends,

Because of a recent job change, I ended up re-imaging my Intel NUC (11th Gen i5, 16 GB Ram). It was previously running Windows 11. It was running great but there were a few nuances that I didn't care for; so when it came time to re-image, I went back to the latest Windows 10 build. Attached to my NUC, I have a PowerColor Gaming Station eGPU enclosure that houses a Nvidia 3050. It's used mostly for encoding my console game streams.

While using Windows 11, it would boot as you would expect and everything would be fine. However, I am experiencing a strange screen freeze with Windows 10.

Yes, the screen freezes, but not the system. I will see the black screen with the spinning white circles, then they freeze. Thinking it was the system, I'd try to reboot, same behavior. For the heck of it I once attempted to put in my PIN to login and wouldn't you know that it worked. Additionally, I have since activated Windows Hello with Face ID, and shockingly, it again let me in after the "freeze".

Anyone have any insight as to what might be causing this? Any potential fix to let me see the login screen?