Laptop Screen DIY

Quickmonster

Hey! Just for some context, I have a broken Surface laptop 2 that I want to reuse instead of throwing away. I love the display and want to convert it into a monitor for my other laptop. I have seen a few guides on how to convert laptop screens into monitors (including linus's of course). However, I have yet to see any sort of guide relating to the surface laptop. Basically, I am wondering if I could do a similar thing to the screen to the surface laptop, what parts I would need(like a EDP connector, display adapter, etc.). I looked at the ifixit guide and saw 4 cables from the display but cannot figure what they are as I'm not really into laptop repair.

Thank you!

Link to the ifixit vid: 

Most laptop screen can be used standalone with another board because it's mostly one brand like Philips/LG making one panel for like 10 different brands of laptops. So someone creates a board that supports the panel to sell it and profit. If Microsoft decided to order a custom panel from the manufacter and ordered them to not distribute it then there'll be no market hence no one made a board to support this specific panel

You probably don't need a specific guide because the display should be plug and play with the right LCD controller board. One thing I would recommend is to thoroughly verify if the board is compatible (e.g. match the connector) with your specific display model. Some are much easier to find than others. Another thing to look out for is that some come without a power adapter so make sure it's included or you have one laying around when you order. 

𝙶𝚊𝚖𝚎𝚜 𝚊𝚛𝚎 𝚙𝚛𝚎𝚝𝚝𝚢 𝚌𝚘𝚘𝚕