New build now, or wait?

Hey there! Not sure if this is the right place to ask this, mods feel free to direct me to the appropriate place if not.

Planning to get a new rig, wondering if now is a good time to commit, with the crypto crash, or wait for the next gen GPU announcements that are supposedly coming soon.

I am leaning towards waiting, since logically prices of current gen hardware will go down once the new stuff is announced, and if I do think the new stuff is worth it, buying now seems a guaranteed path towards buyers remorse.

Though I am also worried about crypto prices jumping back up, and causing another shortage again.

Thoughts?

I'm in the same spot as you. I want almost an entirely new rig. WHat i did buy recently was a 1000w power supply and a new case. 
I plan on getting 13th gen intel and a 4070. or maybe 3080 but im definitely waiting for the new releases so that prices go down.

17 minutes ago, Mayday793 said:

I'm in the same spot as you. I want almost an entirely new rig. WHat i did buy recently was a 1000w power supply and a new case. 
I plan on getting 13th gen intel and a 4070. or maybe 3080 but im definitely waiting for the new releases so that prices go down.

Are you also planning to upgrade your CPU? And you are not worried about another crypto shortage?

I dont think theres gonna be another crypto shortage any time soon, and if anything it wont be on the newest intel cpus i dont think. Theres a surplus of everything in the market right now due to the crypto crash.

6 hours ago, Mayday793 said:

I dont think theres gonna be another crypto shortage any time soon, and if anything it wont be on the newest intel cpus i dont think. Theres a surplus of everything in the market right now due to the crypto crash.

Just read that they are going to delay the release due to over supply, maybe we should consider AMD?

https://www.pcgamesn.com/nvidia/rtx-4000-gpu-launch-delay-geforce-3000-oversupply

I would build now. Matter of fact that's what am doing now. If you wait now you'll just find a reason to wait later for the next best thing. If you were trying to make this decision in September I could see waiting since we'd probably have concrete information on when the new Intel, AMD cpus and the new Nvidia gpus are dropping.  

3 hours ago, Oddyseus said:

Just read that they are going to delay the release due to over supply, maybe we should consider AMD?

https://www.pcgamesn.com/nvidia/rtx-4000-gpu-launch-delay-geforce-3000-oversupply

I don't they will delay by very long. Maybe a month? The over supply isn't going to just go away if they wait. There's still gonna be a bunch of GPUs, and everybody that wants one will buy a 3000 series if they wait and then nobody will want a 4000 series. I don't see the point in delaying by very long just to try and circumvent over supply. They should get the GPUs out as soon as possible. They already got all their money from their board partners there's not incentive for them to actually wait. 

17 hours ago, JuK3M said:

I would build now. Matter of fact that's what am doing now. If you wait now you'll just find a reason to wait later for the next best thing. If you were trying to make this decision in September I could see waiting since we'd probably have concrete information on when the new Intel, AMD cpus and the new Nvidia gpus are dropping.  

Aren't AMD CPUs the go to recently?

14 hours ago, Mayday793 said:

I don't they will delay by very long. Maybe a month? The over supply isn't going to just go away if they wait. There's still gonna be a bunch of GPUs, and everybody that wants one will buy a 3000 series if they wait and then nobody will want a 4000 series. I don't see the point in delaying by very long just to try and circumvent over supply. They should get the GPUs out as soon as possible. They already got all their money from their board partners there's not incentive for them to actually wait. 

Do we have any information on what the performance is going to be like compared to the 3000 series?

9 hours ago, Oddyseus said:

Do we have any information on what the performance is going to be like compared to the 3000 series?

Nothing concrete but we can assume any generation improvement will be like the 4070 being as good as a 3080. 4080 being as good as a 3080 and so on. So I'm hoping to get a 4070 when it comes out. 

There will be a lot of haters saying "oh mayday you don't know shit they haven't announced anything" but really that's just how it goes with the current amd competition 

Aren't AMD CPUs the go to recently?

Sort of. They've been really good competitors to intel which they haven't done in a long time. 

Intel is still better in most situations but you also have to pay more for them so it's really a trade off, amds are a bit worse but you're paying a bit less

On 7/9/2022 at 11:57 PM, Mayday793 said:

Nothing concrete but we can assume any generation improvement will be like the 4070 being as good as a 3080. 4080 being as good as a 3080 and so on. So I'm hoping to get a 4070 when it comes out. 

There will be a lot of haters saying "oh mayday you don't know shit they haven't announced anything" but really that's just how it goes with the current amd competition 

Ugh, with my luck we are gonna be having to wait till the next gen TIs lol

Personally I'm waiting but I feel like it's guaranteed that when the 40 and 7000 series cards release it's gonna be a free for all for the first two months. If you'll build around December I'd say wait, if you don't want to wait any longer than October, I say build one now.

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

Current build on PCPartPicker

Ugh, with my luck we are gonna be having to wait till the next gen TIs lol

I think if you really want one and actively try to order one when they go up you should be able to. If you don't hesitate and just order it when it's available you should be able to get one. 

Last time it was scalpers capitalizing on already low supply due to miners but without the miners this time I don't think there's a market for scalpers. 

On 7/11/2022 at 6:11 PM, venomtail said:

Personally I'm waiting but I feel like it's guaranteed that when the 40 and 7000 series cards release it's gonna be a free for all for the first two months. If you'll build around December I'd say wait, if you don't want to wait any longer than October, I say build one now.

Free for all being a price increase or decrease?

On 7/12/2022 at 1:38 AM, Mayday793 said:

I think if you really want one and actively try to order one when they go up you should be able to. If you don't hesitate and just order it when it's available you should be able to get one. 

Last time it was scalpers capitalizing on already low supply due to miners but without the miners this time I don't think there's a market for scalpers. 

Yeah it's kinda funny seeing all this panic from the crypto community.

1 hour ago, Oddyseus said:

Free for all being a price increase or decrease?

Free for all as in out of stock. Hard to say whether there'll be any significant price jump during launch. 

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

Current build on PCPartPicker

My 2 cents: Just get what you want, now. I played the waiting game and there's always something to make you want to wait just a little bit longer.

No matter when you bite the bullet, something better is right around the corner. 🙃