Power cable problem

Gagougou

Hello, I just move info a new house and I lost my power cable that connected into my computer. I own a 750w bronze certification power supply. I was wondering if any power cable would do the trick in that case i would just use one I already own or if I should buy a specific one.

The majority of the power cables will work, there are some that are thicker AWG and you can from time to time feel this by holding those cables (I have lots dealing with audio stuff), but primarily you only need them when you're pulling massive power. In your case, you could just use a cable from something else.

Typically a cable from something else would be fine, I am going to asume you are not based in the UK though, over here I would recommend having a 10amp fuse fitted to the plug being used but elsewhere in the world power requirements are different.

15 minutes ago, JKRsega said:

Surely you mean a 13 amp for a PSU lead?

No in the UK I do mean 10, the reasoning behind that is typically people plug computers into an extension lead which itself has a maximum rating of 13 amps. Now assuming that a computer has a 10 amp which should be more than enough for your normal PSU range that leaves some buffer room for monitors and other peripherals without the risk of overloading the supply.

Typical power ratings for other devices would be 3 - 5 amp uses on monitors and 1.2amp or lower for routers etc

4 minutes ago, JKRsega said:

Hmm... (checking power lead tomorrow)

Obviously if the original lead provided with the PSU is 13 then that's different, however if having to find one just to run then I work to the rule above 🙂

However in my case there is no plug as I connect to a higher capacity UPS.

9 minutes ago, MrMase said:

Obviously if the original lead provided with the PSU is 13 then that's different, however if having to find one just to run then I work to the rule above 🙂

However in my case there is no plug as I connect to a higher capacity UPS.

Ahh, okay.  Got me worried about overloading my Belkin surge protected extension lead.