Jump to content

Help with projector audio

 Share

Hello, I am building a small very small budget theater room in my living room, I have picked the projector (not the best out and im ok with not having 4k and all bells and whistles)
I will have 1 projector (link below) and a 125inch motorized screen (link below), My issue is the audio for it. The projectors iv been looking at have audio output with a 3.5mm jack. I need to figure out what my best option is without costing to much.
Thanks in advance for the help. I am not sure these are my for sure items but something similar to both will be bought and used. Just have no idea about audio. Do i need a receiver and speakers or just any speakers that have 3.5mm jack.
Projector - BenQ MS536 - Amazon.com: BenQ MS536 SVGA Business Projector - DLP - 4000 Lumens - Dual HDMI - Eco-Friendly (Renewed) : Electronics
Screen - Amazon.com: Elite Screens Spectrum 100-INCH diag, 16:9 Electric Motorized Projector Screen with Multi Aspect Ratio Function, Home Theater 8K 4K Ultra HD Black Projection Screen ELECTRIC100H : Electronics

Edit: Just to say, These are not the items i will end up buying im just starting to look into these things and find whats what. 

Edited by JoeCooper
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Anything with a 3.5mm jack.  Don't spend over $100 on whatever you get.  That's an abhorrent projector in 2022.  In fact, if you can just send audio directly from the feed to your PC/source to your speakers--that's better than relaying it through your projector.

 

I would sooner go with a $20 BT speaker than dealing with the hassle of cabling audio to a projector--especially 800x600 one like that. 

 

And you're gonna get letterboxing out the wazoo for using a 4:3 projector on a 16:9 screen.  And that's a 100" screen, not 125".

 

P.S.

Wait, hold the phone.  Your screen costs more than the projector?  What the everliving.....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, IPD said:

Anything with a 3.5mm jack.  Don't spend over $100 on whatever you get.  That's an abhorrent projector in 2022.  In fact, if you can just send audio directly from the feed to your PC/source to your speakers--that's better than relaying it through your projector.

 

I would sooner go with a $20 BT speaker than dealing with the hassle of cabling audio to a projector--especially 800x600 one like that. 

 

And you're gonna get letterboxing out the wazoo for using a 4:3 projector on a 16:9 screen.  And that's a 100" screen, not 125".

 

P.S.

Wait, hold the phone.  Your screen costs more than the projector?  What the everliving.....

*COUGH* 
"I am not sure these are my for sure items but something similar to both"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, JoeCooper said:

Hello, I am building a small very small budget theater room in my living room, I have picked the projector (not the best out and im ok with not having 4k and all bells and whistles)
I will have 1 projector (link below) and a 125inch motorized screen (link below), My issue is the audio for it. The projectors iv been looking at have audio output with a 3.5mm jack. I need to figure out what my best option is without costing to much.
Thanks in advance for the help. I am not sure these are my for sure items but something similar to both will be bought and used. Just have no idea about audio. Do i need a receiver and speakers or just any speakers that have 3.5mm jack.

What is your source?

A computer? Blu-ray player? Stream box?

 

What's your current audio setup?

A home theater receiver + passive speakers? Active speakers with an optical input? Active speakers with a 3.5mm jack?

 

If it's a computer, you can get yourself some cheap USB soundcard and output the audio however way you want - aka 3.5 jack or preferably RCA (red/white jacks)

If it's a Blu-ray player, game console, or stream box then check if there's S/PDIF TOSLINK or Coaxial available and hook it to a receiver or whatever you have that would normally accept audio that way.

Edited by saint_louis_bagels
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, saint_louis_bagels said:

What is your source?

A computer? Blu-ray player? Stream box?

 

What's your current audio setup?

A home theater receiver + passive speakers? Active speakers with an optical input? Active speakers with a 3.5mm jack?

 

If it's a computer, you can get yourself some cheap USB soundcard and output the audio however way you want - aka 3.5 jack or preferably RCA (red/white jacks)

If it's a Blu-ray player, game console, or stream box then check if there's S/PDIF TOSLINK or Coaxial available and hook it to a receiver or whatever you have that would normally accept audio that way.

So i will prolly use a fire stick as my source, The only audio i have is a Vizio sound bar

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh wow, you're really giving us no options lol.

 

If the projector gives you really noisy audio, then there is a possible audio route you can take:

You can plug in the Fire Stick to an HDMI audio extractor.

From there, you connect the extractor to the projector for the video output.

Using the extractor's audio outputs, you can connect it directly to the Vizio sound bar... assuming that the sound bar accepts TOSLINK or Coaxial.

If the sound bar only has 3.5mm input, then I give up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, saint_louis_bagels said:

Oh wow, you're really giving us no options lol.

 

If the projector gives you really noisy audio, then there is a possible audio route you can take:

You can plug in the Fire Stick to an HDMI audio extractor.

From there, you connect the extractor to the projector for the video output.

Using the extractor's audio outputs, you can connect it directly to the Vizio sound bar... assuming that the sound bar accepts TOSLINK or Coaxial.

If the sound bar only has 3.5mm input, then I give up.

Thank you good sir

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×