random crashes after changing fan

divach

Hello again, forum,

A few weeks ago I had to change the CPU fan on a relative's computer because it short-circuited after a power outage. everything else seemed to work just fine. but now, the computer crashes seemingly randomly when they try to do mundane things like having more than five chrome tabs open or watching a video.The computer is an Acer TC-885 ES14, and I did not think of making a fresh windows install at first so it has Acer proprietary graphics driver.

I would like to know possible causes for this, I am suspecting the power supply is not enough for the new fan, but getting a new PSU only to have it possibly do nothing isn't a very good investment to me.

Sounds like more than just the fan was damaged.

Given how low-level a fan is to a computer, it would take a lot for just the fan to be damaged without anything else. I feel like there is a much larger problem here that I don't think we are able to solve for you from here.

"Although there's a problem on the horizon; there's no horizon." - K-2SO

1 minute ago, dj_ripcord said:

Sounds like more than just the fan was damaged.

Given how low-level a fan is to a computer, it would take a lot for just the fan to be damaged without anything else. I feel like there is a much larger problem here that I don't think we are able to solve for you from here.

I suspect that too, but the computer is running oddly fine. I ran some benchmarks, checked temperatures, the only thing sticking out is the terrible ssd performance, likely caused by the fact that it is completely full.

2 minutes ago, divach said:

I suspect that too, but the computer is running oddly fine. I ran some benchmarks, checked temperatures, the only thing sticking out is the terrible ssd performance, likely caused by the fact that it is completely full.

Well... that could literally be the source of your crashes. There needs to be a little bit of space for the OS to do it's job.

"Although there's a problem on the horizon; there's no horizon." - K-2SO

4 minutes ago, dj_ripcord said:

Well... that could literally be the source of your crashes. There needs to be a little bit of space for the OS to do it's job.

it currently has 36/120 free gigabytes of space. I wish it were that easy.