Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

New peripheral recommendations.

DieselJS
 Share

Hello!

 

I'd like to upgrade some of my peripherals I currently have, mainly just a new keyboard and headset. I am currently using some amazon bought cheapo blue switches mechanical keyboard and I have no problems with it but would love to change it out with a keyboard that is much more silent. My HyperX Cloud Stinger headset has been on constant use for around 3 years and the earcups are well into wearing off, I have no other complaints.

 

Effectively I'd like some of your recommendations on the following:

  • Mechanical keyboard (full layout including num pad), as silent as possible (as the blue switches get on the nerves of my SO and is starting to annoy me also) but decent enough quality and relative cheapness.
  • Any headset with good sound, long cable (and 3.5mm jack) will do, I was thinking about just getting another Cloud Stinger or maybe the Cloud IIs - any thoughts?

 

I also live in the UK so I will be buying from any UK site or Amazon UK in £GBP. Hope you lot can help me!

thanks, dieseljs

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, DieselJS said:

Hello!

 

I'd like to upgrade some of my peripherals I currently have, mainly just a new keyboard and headset. I am currently using some amazon bought cheapo blue switches mechanical keyboard and I have no problems with it but would love to change it out with a keyboard that is much more silent. My HyperX Cloud Stinger headset has been on constant use for around 3 years and the earcups are well into wearing off, I have no other complaints.

 

Effectively I'd like some of your recommendations on the following:

  • Mechanical keyboard (full layout including num pad), as silent as possible (as the blue switches get on the nerves of my SO and is starting to annoy me also) but decent enough quality and relative cheapness.
  • Any headset with good sound, long cable (and 3.5mm jack) will do, I was thinking about just getting another Cloud Stinger or maybe the Cloud IIs - any thoughts?

 

I also live in the UK so I will be buying from any UK site or Amazon UK in £GBP. Hope you lot can help me!

thanks, dieseljs

Keyboard : Even a dampened red switch gonna make quite a sound, you'd need to use it by pressing it only halfway down & release it slowly in order to not make much sound. Just that the sound it makes is more like "thunk" instead of "click".
So I'm gonna need to ask you to elaborate on "as silent as possible"

Silent Red is kinda quiet, but yep, depends on the keyboard & keycaps quality.
Also for silent red you might have to replace the switch yourself since not many keyboard out there uses it.

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

__________________________________________

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

So I'm gonna need to ask you to elaborate on "as silent as possible"

After some short research maybe something like red or brown switches as they are pressumably much quieter than the blue switches I have now.

 

28 minutes ago, Poinkachu said:

you'd need to use it by pressing it only halfway down in order to not make much sound.

I figured this already, but I'm not going to half-press my keys while gaming. However, during late nights I can find myself half-pressing my current keyboard to be much quieter when responding to something, but thank you.

 

 

Are brown switches a middle ground between reds and blues? With the tactile bump (ish) of a blue switch but the less noisy actuation of the red switch? Are red/brown switches even much quieter for general use than blues anyway?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, DieselJS said:

After some short research maybe something like red or brown switches as they are pressumably much quieter than the blue switches I have now.

 

I figured this already, but I'm not going to half-press my keys while gaming. However, during late nights I can find myself half-pressing my current keyboard to be much quieter when responding to something, but thank you.

 

 

Are brown switches a middle ground between reds and blues? With the tactile bump (ish) of a blue switch but the less noisy actuation of the red switch? Are red/brown switches even much quieter for general use than blues anyway?

Brown is Pretty much red with a tactile bump.
Red / Brown / Black / Silver are quieter than blue of course.

Basically, for anything aside from blue, the noise comes from bottoming out & when the keycap sprung back up.
It's the pole inside the switch shell hitting either the bottom of the shell or the upper inner part of the shell.
The noise can be dampened some amount by using dampener (requires buying additional stuffs & DIY, unless you are paying someone else to do it)

In a nutshell (Cherry switches, but other brand generally the same as well for these 4 colors) :
Brown = Red with a tactile bump
Black = a stiffer version of Red
Silver = A quicker version of Red (it register key press at shorter press than red)

If this is your first time going mechanical, I really suggest buying a set of switch tester.
At the very least one that includes Red, Brown, Blue, Silver/Black from the Switch Brand you want to try.
So you can get a feel of how each switch is when you press them.
Of course the noise won't be the same as when you actually buy a keyboard with the switch. (The tester usually comes with acrylic base & cheap plastic cap)
The material the keyboard casing is made of matters, even the keycap matter to some extent.

 

 

GIF_MXRGB_Std-Red.gif

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

__________________________________________

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Also a few terminology of Mechanical Keyboard that you might need to know in your hunt :

 

Hotswap/Hotswappable = Meaning the switch isn't soldered to the PCB, you can take it off and replace it with same switch color or different color.
If the keyboard quality is too low, this might become an issue later on. (bad contact, etc)

 

Optical = Laser sensor inside the switch
Allegedly faster actuation, more expensive. (never tried it myself, hence the allegedly)

 

Low profile switch doesn't mean Low profile keycap. Low profile keycap doesn't mean low profile switch.
(Most membrane/rubber dome are pretty much a low profile keyboard, standard profile mechanical keyboard will feel way taller)
If you are unsure, go to nearest PC store that provides keyboards for people to test, and just try it out there first.
Me myself using a low profile switch with low profile keycap.

Low profile (as low as usual membrane / rubber dome keyboard) keyboard is kinda rare.

Low profile switch characteristic most often feels different (sometimes heaven & earth different) from it's standard profile, eventhough their color the same.

 

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

__________________________________________

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Poinkachu said:

Brown is Pretty much red with a tactile bump.
Red / Brown / Black / Silver are quieter than blue of course.

Basically, for anything aside from blue, the noise comes from bottoming out & when the keycap sprung back up.
It's the pole inside the switch shell hitting either the bottom of the shell or the upper inner part of the shell.
The noise can be dampened some amount by using dampener (requires buying additional stuffs & DIY, unless you are paying someone else to do it)

In a nutshell (Cherry switches, but other brand generally the same as well for these 4 colors) :
Brown = Red with a tactile bump
Black = a stiffer version of Red
Silver = A quicker version of Red (it register key press at shorter press than red)

If this is your first time going mechanical, I really suggest buying a set of switch tester.
At the very least one that includes Red, Brown, Blue, Silver/Black from the Switch Brand you want to try.
So you can get a feel of how each switch is when you press them.
Of course the noise won't be the same as when you actually buy a keyboard with the switch. (The tester usually comes with acrylic base & cheap plastic cap)
The material the keyboard casing is made of matters, even the keycap matter to some extent.

 

 

GIF_MXRGB_Std-Red.gif

First of all, brown switches only have a small tactile bump which some people actually enjoy a lot. Also, black switches aren't stiffer than red switches. They just have a higher actuation force aka stronger spring. The stem wobble between all retooled cherry switches are the same.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, person123456789 said:

what is your budget for the keyboard?

Preferably less than £100 - I've been using a £30 amazon mech keyboard for 5 years so I don't really care that much, but I'd go as high as £120 ish if its just right.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, DieselJS said:

Preferably less than £100 - I've been using a £30 amazon mech keyboard for 5 years so I don't really care that much, but I'd go as high as £120 ish if its just right.

do you want a linear silent switch or a tactile silent switch

the tactile silent switch would feel like your old clicky switches but just silent

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, person123456789 said:

do you want a linear silent switch or a tactile silent switch

I think tactile would be better for me as they'd feel like my old switches (as you've said)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

I recommend buying a keychron c2 or k10 and then buying aftermarket silent tactiles to put them into the board.

 

I recomment you get boba u4 silent tactiles

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×