Aio

Meta358

So a co-worker of mine as a 240mm aio that he used for a bit. (He upgraded to an i9 and got a better cooler) he says i can just have it. However he is telling me the copper pad on the bottom that makes contact with the cpu has oxidized and is all green and stuff. Im sure i can clean off all the oxidization off, but is it still ok to use if i do clean it off.

Yes you can still use it. It's just a metal surface. Buy several grits of sandpaper from your local hardware or auto parts store. Something like 600 grit, 800 grit, then 1500 grit. There's no exact science to this. If 600 grit isn't effective, move down to 400 grit. The smaller the number the MORE coarse/rough it is.

What's really important is that you need to lap it on a FLAT surface. Easiest flat surface you can find would be a glass surface. Unless you have access to a certified granite block.

This thread is pretty handy.

| Remember to mark Solutions! | Quote Posts if you want a Reply! |
| Tell us everything! Budget? Currency? Country? Retailers? | Help us help You! |

23 minutes ago, Meta358 said:

So a co-worker of mine as a 240mm aio that he used for a bit. (He upgraded to an i9 and got a better cooler) he says i can just have it. However he is telling me the copper pad on the bottom that makes contact with the cpu has oxidized and is all green and stuff. Im sure i can clean off all the oxidization off, but is it still ok to use if i do clean it off.

Give us a pic of it

There is approximately 99% chance I edited my post

Refresh before you reply

ENGLISH IS NOT MY NATIVE LANGUAGE, NOT EVEN 2ND LANGUAGE. PLEASE FORGIVE ME FOR ANY CONFUSION AND/OR MISUNDERSTANDING THAT MAY HAPPEN BECAUSE OF IT.

2 hours ago, Meta358 said:

Instead of sanding the plate and risking gouging the copper you could just use a metal polish for copper, it would be formulated to remove light oxidisation, just clean off with isopropyl alcohol afterwards or plenty of water to remove any polish residue, as directed by the product.

7 hours ago, DigitalGoat said:

Instead of sanding the plate and risking gouging the copper you could just use a metal polish for copper, it would be formulated to remove light oxidisation, just clean off with isopropyl alcohol afterwards or plenty of water to remove any polish residue, as directed by the product.

This is more of what i was thinking, except i was thinking of using ketchup, it can clean copper pennies why not this.