Small formfactor Linux machine

JMBM

Budget (including currency): Maximum 700€ but I'm aiming more for 400-500

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: No games, the only programs I want to use are Thunderbird, Firefox and some IDEs. So nothing very demanding.

Other details

The important details: I don't want an graphics card, it should have low power consumption and I'm looking for hardware which is Linux-friendly. Should be an Mini- or Micro- ITX board. But I prefer Mini. I'm trying to use Linux for office stuff and stuff I just don't need my beefy PC for. Like watching youtube. My problem is that I always run into problems with Linux which often seem to be related to the hardware. Is AMD or Intel better supported under Linux? Especially integrated graphics. And what is an good low power CPU with integrated graphics which runs just fine with Linux?

12 minutes ago, JMBM said:

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: No games, the only programs I want to use are Thunderbird, Firefox and some IDEs. So nothing very demanding.

Other details

The important details: I don't want an graphics card, it should have low power consumption and I'm looking for hardware which is Linux-friendly. Should be an Mini- or Micro- ITX board. But I prefer Mini. I'm trying to use Linux for office stuff and stuff I just don't need my beefy PC for. Like watching youtube. My problem is that I always run into problems with Linux which often seem to be related to the hardware. Is AMD or Intel better supported under Linux? Especially integrated graphics. And what is an good low power CPU with integrated graphics which runs just fine with Linux?

Look at the servethehome mini/micro series on youtube or their website. Pretty much any of those machines run linux fine and are under 1L in size.

On 7/1/2022 at 3:58 PM, JMBM said:

Other details

here is a good build https://pcpartpicker.com/list/QxyRzf

the reason I did not include a cooler as it comes with the cpu

hope the build I provided helps😀

8 minutes ago, swabro said:

here is a good build

How would you get video output?

Just now, Ryuikko said:

How would you get video output?

the 12100 I checked come with integrated graphics

sorry choose the wrong option lol

changed it now

also take note that you dont need cpu backplate as the boxed cooler bassically clips into the mobo: 

here is a video to help install the stock cooler if you are confused

45 minutes ago, swabro said:

hope the build I provided helps😀

It's not really small form factor... Full size atx board? Quite a large case? 44L

7 minutes ago, Blue4130 said:

It's not really small form factor... Full size atx board? Quite a large case? 44L

oh i am so sry dint read that properly missed the micro atx part 

Love this little case. Definetly want to build one of these myself. You could save more on an Athlon with older board but I don't think even going that cheap is worth it. Don't forget 3600Mhz ram for VEGA:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 4600G 3.7 GHz 6-Core Processor  (€159.89 @ Mindfactory)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9a-AM4 33.84 CFM CPU Cooler  (€44.90 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Motherboard: ASRock B550M-ITX/ac Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard  (€133.69 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory  (€64.99 @ Corsair DE)
Storage: Kingston NV1 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (€45.90 @ Alza)
Case: In Win Chopin HTPC Case w/150 W Power Supply  (€146.12 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Total: €595.49
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-07-02 02:42 CEST+0200

Desktop: Ryzen 7 5800X3D - Kraken X62 Rev 2 - STRIX X470-I - 3600MHz 32GB Kingston Fury - 250GB 970 Evo boot - 2x 500GB 860 Evo - 1TB P3 - 4TB HDD - RX6800 - RMx 750 W 80+ Gold - Manta - Silent Wings Pro 4's enjoyer

SetupZowie XL2740 27.0" 240hz - Roccat Burt Pro Corsair K70 LUX browns - PC38X - Mackie CR5X's

Current build on PCPartPicker

26 minutes ago, swabro said:

oh i am so sry dint read that properly missed the micro atx part 

33L is still not really that small. Especially when you don't need to fit a GPU.

Things that are small are cases like the Masterbox NR200 (under 20L), Dancase A4 (sub 8L), Sliger Console case (8L)

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i3-12100 3.3 GHz Quad-Core Processor  (€136.22 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Motherboard: ASRock H610M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1700 Motherboard  (€145.38 @ Mindfactory) 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory  (€61.90 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Storage: Crucial P2 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (€82.90 @ Alza) 
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox NR200 Mini ITX Desktop Case  (€76.65 @ Galaxus) 
Power Supply: Corsair SF450 450 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply  (€99.99 @ Amazon Deutschland) 
Total: €603.04
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2022-07-02 04:02 CEST+0200

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

On 7/1/2022 at 6:04 PM, Blue4130 said:

33L is still not really that small. Especially when you don't need to fit a GPU.

Things that are small are cases like the Masterbox NR200 (under 20L), Dancase A4 (sub 8L), Sliger Console case (8L)

the case is secondary as the parts being used can basically fit into any case

so the case would come down to the users personal preference

1 hour ago, swabro said:

so the case would come down to the users personal preference

He asked specifically for a small form factor case, I don't think that what you listed is small form factor.

Look at business SFF computers. My current project is a Dell Precision 3420. Very small computer and is working great as a home server running Debian.

These can be picked up pretty cheap, got mine for 300 a couple years ago, companies are always dumping these things on ebay.

19 minutes ago, Brian McKee said:

Look at business SFF computers. My current project is a Dell Precision 3420. Very small computer and is working great as a home server running Debian.

These can be picked up pretty cheap, got mine for 300 a couple years ago, companies are always dumping these things on ebay.

what you are saying is valid but you cant really upgrade those prebuilt machines without doing some jank stuff compared to building a pc

2 minutes ago, swabro said:

what you are saying is valid but you cant really upgrade those prebuilt machines without doing some jank stuff compared to building a pc

OP just wants a computer to code, watch youtube and check emails. This computer absolutely fits the bill and makes a good Linux machine.