Is my gpu dead?

Viktor277

I was playing doom and suddenly bunch of lines and squares came up on screen and scrambled image, and the pc froze, i restarted it and no video output since, asus gtx 1070 turbo, second 1070 that dies on me this year.. Now when i put in 2 gpus in pc it works fine with the other gpu and the 1070 is getting recognized in the device manager but with some small icon with error sign. When i deleted drivers with ddu in device manager that error was gone but still no video out from 1070, and it installed geforce experience on its own. Is it worth it to take it to my local pc shop so they can take a look at it?

@Viktor277 - I've edted my post, might want to re-read.

It does sound like dead GPUs, but what is killing them? I've heard a bit and possibly experienced what is known as a "BIOS-crippled" board where device support is limited, or even stripped. You don't mention your mobo, but this is common with older boards such as A320 AMDs and such.

That said, I've had a bit of an issue with no video on startup, and I've narrowed it down to removing and reinserting the HDMI cable, so it's either cable or some kind of issue with the HDMI port. Could that, or reseating the GPU, be your problem?

Edited by An0maly_76
Revised, more info

I don't badmouth others' input, I'd appreciate others not badmouthing mine. *** More below ***

MODERATE TO SEVERE AUTISTIC, COMPLICATED WITH COVID FOG

Due to the above, I've likely revised posts <30 min old, and do not think as you do.

THINK BEFORE YOU REPLY!

These are the types of issues from a GPU you don't want to see. No video out means best case scenario (though given the scrambled image I'd doubt this is the case) a dead display out, what's more likely is that the display interposer died. That is a piece baked right into the silicon, so it would cost more than the card is worth to fix it. You can take it to a shop and see what they say, but you're likely better off just selling the card for parts on eBay instead.

1 hour ago, An0maly_76 said:

@Viktor277 - I've edted my post, might want to re-read.

It does sound like dead GPUs, but what is killing them? I've heard a bit and possibly experienced what is known as a "BIOS-crippled" board where device support is limited, or even stripped. You don't mention your mobo, but this is common with older boards such as A320 AMDs and such.

That said, I've had a bit of an issue with no video on startup, and I've narrowed it down to removing and reinserting the HDMI cable, so it's either cable or some kind of issue with the HDMI port. Could that, or reseating the GPU, be your problem?

1 hour ago, RONOTHAN## said:

These are the types of issues from a GPU you don't want to see. No video out means best case scenario (though given the scrambled image I'd doubt this is the case) a dead display out, what's more likely is that the display interposer died. That is a piece baked right into the silicon, so it would cost more than the card is worth to fix it. You can take it to a shop and see what they say, but you're likely better off just selling the card for parts on eBay instead.

Yeah i tried to reseat it multiple times, in all 3 pci slots, motherboard is Prime x470 Pro, no display out from either hdmi or display port. Last time i took the gpu to the shop it was a dead chip, and that 1070ti had same symptoms as this one. Guess its just my luck.