Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HP Laptop Issue

 Share

Hello all,

 

My girlfriend and I were using her HP laptop (running Windows 10) to watch a movie on Amazon Prime using Firefox.

Windows had been booted and had been running all day for her work. In fact, she used the laptop to finish some of her DuoLingo prior to us deciding to watch a movie.

As we were setting up the laptop and connecting it to the TV via an HDMI cable, the screen suddenly went black and showed the "boot device not found" error.

I checked windows for errors via sfc/scannow and it found and repaired some. I also ran chckdsk. But that found no bad sectors.

Has anyone had a system do this to you after Windows had already booted rather than during boot up as it is posting?

 

I just want to see what more I can check to get a better idea if the SDD is dying or if it is something else.

 

Any help or assistance would be appreciated!

 

Here are the specs:

Specs:
HP - 14" Laptop
AMD A9-Series - 3.1 gigahertz
4GB DDR4 SDRAM 1866 megahertz
AMD Radeon R5 Graphics -
128GB Solid State Drive PCIe
Windows 10 Home in S mode

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

At the age of your A9 chip, I would back up whatever important stuff you have on there now. My experience with older A9/A10 chips is that once they start going, when they do go they take everything with them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, BiotechBen said:

At the age of your A9 chip, I would back up whatever important stuff you have on there now. My experience with older A9/A10 chips is that once they start going, when they do go they take everything with them.

 

Every test I have tried passes. HD Sentinel is giving me an odd error when I try and do a surface read test. Not sure what that error is. The power source error from the HP Diagnostics tool seems odd too.

 

https://imgur.com/a/PnKhyWm

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, FutureWave said:

 

Every test I have tried passes. HD Sentinel is giving me an odd error when I try and do a surface read test. Not sure what that error is. The power source error from the HP Diagnostics tool seems odd too.

 

https://imgur.com/a/PnKhyWm

I had an A10-7800P laptop go and once it did it corrupted the entire drive, every single sector. Secure erase fixed the drive, but nothing was recoverable. Back up your data now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

I had an A10-7800P laptop go and once it did it corrupted the entire drive, every single sector. Secure erase fixed the drive, but nothing was recoverable. Back up your data now.

Yes, thanks. All the data we need is backed up. Right now I am just trying to determine if the drive is failing or not. If so, then we need to replace or get a new Laptop. Hard Drive Sentinel showed the drive as being good with no bad sectors or errors on a surface read test. All the other non-data destroying tests are showing normal too.  I can grab the results and post here if you like.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, FutureWave said:

Yes, thanks. All the data we need is backed up. Right now I am just trying to determine if the drive is failing or not. If so, then we need to replace or get a new Laptop. Hard Drive Sentinel showed the drive as being good with no bad sectors or errors on a surface read test. All the other non-data destroying tests are showing normal too.  I can grab the results and post here if you like.

Which specific chip do you have?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BiotechBen said:

Which specific chip do you have?

Not sure exactly other than AMD A9 series.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, FutureWave said:

Not sure exactly other than AMD A9 series.

I would start the search for a new laptop, unofficial diagnosis: less than 6 months until it borks itself. When drivers corrupt: you're about 2 weeks out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you ran Crystal Disk Info to see if its picks up any issues with the drive?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, MrMase said:

Have you ran Crystal Disk Info to see if its picks up any issues with the drive?

I ran HD sentinel tests and they all came back without bad sectors. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, BiotechBen said:

I would start the search for a new laptop, unofficial diagnosis: less than 6 months until it borks itself. When drivers corrupt: you're about 2 weeks out.

I don't think I updated the original post since the troubleshooting I have done - but here goes.

 

After running sfc/scannow and chkdsk, I ran msconfig to see what she had running and what booted with the laptop. I had looked at the laptop when she first got it to get rid of any bloatware running. There wasn't much, but AVG was on there eating up a good amount of CPU and Ram. I uninstalled AVG and restarted the Laptop.

 

When it restarted she was taken to the Windows set up screen as if we had just installed Windows and we were completing set up. Luckily, when she signed into a Microsoft account the laptop booted as normal with all of her data and programs intact.

 

Now I was curious and confused. and went looking for answers online. I did not find many answers.

 

When I was able to I restarted the Laptop and hit ESC to enter into the menu so I could run HP Diagnostics.

 

I tested everything I could there and most things came back as passing other than a power source prompt. I am not quite sure what that means, so if anyone knows, please help there.

 

I ran a battery report check from the command prompt. I didn't see anything unusual there either.

 

Not being satisfied I installed Hard Drive Sentinel. Every scan that I can do that is not data-destroying shows that the hard drive is in good health.

 

I know that this may not be an issue with her SSD. But since everything else is checking out as running well from the diagnostic tool.

 

I looked at the event viewer and I see Kernel-Power error (41). I updated Windows, the bios, and disabled quick start-up.

 

That may be what caused it. I am not sure. I am not sure what else I can check to figure out what caused the issue.

 

The battery issue from the HP Diagnostic Tool is still present. Not sure what that is about.

 

Here are the test images from HP Diagnostics. 

Tests Results

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×