System keeps restarting

TiredGuitar

I just built a brand new pc and was excited when I saw it posted and booted into the bios! But after that it kept restarting. I managed to download windows and updated drivers. But after 2-10 minutes of being in windows it still restarts I did update the bios before install of all my parts so I didn't think the bios would be an issue. 

My parts are 

Msi B550-m pro-vdh

Ryzen 5 5600

32 gb 3200mz rip jaw

850w corsair PSU

1 tb Samsung 870 Evo

Asus 1050ti (only part I have got used)

Any pointers?

When you say it restarts, does that mean windows powers down and says "restarting" or does it just suddenly black screen and your back at your motherboard logo at the boot up sequence? 

48 minutes ago, Mayday793 said:

When you say it restarts, does that mean windows powers down and says "restarting" or does it just suddenly black screen and your back at your motherboard logo at the boot up sequence? 

It suddenly goes black and boots back up to the mother board logo followed by the log in screen

22 minutes ago, Goldilock said:

I had very similar issue few years ago. I think I had loose CPU power plug.

Replug eveything fixed the issue for me.

This certainly looks like the likely culprit. Try to unplug the GPU, CPU, and mother board power cables and reconnect them. make sure they click in. 

7 minutes ago, Mayday793 said:

This certainly looks like the likely culprit. Try to unplug the GPU, CPU, and mother board power cables and reconnect them. make sure they click in. 

Ok will do! Shall keep you posted!!

Ok, unplugged the gpu, cpu, and mother board. As well as everything from the psu and make sure they were all seated and it's still black screen restarting. I thought something was touching the case and shorting causing the restart so I set everything up outside the case and still black screen restarts

Just now, TiredGuitar said:

Ok, unplugged the gpu, cpu, and mother board. As well as everything from the psu and make sure they were all seated and it's still black screen restarting. I thought something was touching the case and shorting causing the restart so I set everything up outside the case and still black screen restarts

I've herd the b550 had some issues with ram placement. Trying that next

4 hours ago, TiredGuitar said:

I've herd the b550 had some issues with ram placement. Trying that next

If you have RAM placement issue, the PC usually won't boot at all or you'll have consistent BSOD.

Checking for shorting is really hard, but the person usually felt the zap during shorting.

It would be game changer if you have other person who can redo the CPU the 6/8 pin CPU power plug. Because when the PC shutdown after a while it's highly probable the 6/8 pin (which is used for auxiliary power) is not plugged correctly.

I'm also not sure where you get power for the PC. Is it directly from wall or you have UPS?

7 hours ago, Goldilock said:

If you have RAM placement issue, the PC usually won't boot at all or you'll have consistent BSOD.

Checking for shorting is really hard, but the person usually felt the zap during shorting.

It would be game changer if you have other person who can redo the CPU the 6/8 pin CPU power plug. Because when the PC shutdown after a while it's highly probable the 6/8 pin (which is used for auxiliary power) is not plugged correctly.

I'm also not sure where you get power for the PC. Is it directly from wall or you have UPS?

I'm getting power from the psu. I also believe I figured out the issue. I turned off core performance boost and after 6 hours still has yet to shut off. I'm not sure how that helped the stability of the system but it's working so far!

7 hours ago, Goldilock said:

Also tried having a friend come over with a 700w evga psu and still had the same issue. This was before the bios tweaking

6 hours ago, Robchil said:

did you reset bios after update? 

Yea. Before it wouldn't post because the bios wasent restarted

So update. The 27th through the 29th it was running great. 6-7 hours both days and did not have an issue. The 30th was when the issue came back. Again the system restarts after getting past the bios screen. Usually can log into windows between 1-5 minutes before restarts. Black screen then bios screen then the windows log in. After doing research on the issue I believe could be a vrm issue. The only things I've changed in the bios were all about regulating the voltage going towards the cpu and that helped stability

5 minutes ago, TiredGuitar said:

So update. The 27th through the 29th it was running great. 6-7 hours both days and did not have an issue. The 30th was when the issue came back. Again the system restarts after getting past the bios screen. Usually can log into windows between 1-5 minutes before restarts. Black screen then bios screen then the windows log in. After doing research on the issue I believe could be a vrm issue. The only things I've changed in the bios were all about regulating the voltage going towards the cpu and that helped stability

I am having the same issues with this motherboard + R5 3600, I have been searching and it seems to be a problem with this model if you can RMA do it.

Here are other examples of this motherboard issues. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/MSI_Gaming/comments/ju8g34/problems_with_b550m_provdh_wifi/

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?threads/b550m-pro-vdh-wifi-ryzen-5-3600-more-issues-with-this-pairing.374883/

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?threads/troubleshooting-b550m-pro-vdh-wifi-with-5600g.370831/

https://forum-en.msi.com/index.php?threads/msi-b550m-pro-vdh-wifi-unable-to-post-various-debug-leds.372859/

7 minutes ago, cveliz said:

Glad to see I'm not the only one. All these post deffinetly have the same issue I'm having. I got the board june 26th. And it's only July 1st. I hope I can RMA it since pretty much barely had it. Will give updates

Not huge update. Going to go with a return on Tuesday, but my very last trouble shooting update. Reset the cmos and only turned on xmp profile 1. It just goes into a boot loop for about 4-5 times then won't display anything but the pc stays on. I then disable precision boost overdrive and disable core performance boost. The pics are before and after the bios change, to see the different voltage and ram speed. After that worked great, these were the settings I had on Thursday the 30th when it had boot loop issues. Didn't change anything just turned it off then back on and worked fine. For new MOBO to be having issues like this to me just seems like best bet to return it and maybe try an x570. Main reason I got this board was cause it was $95. Guess the price was too good to be true. 

20220703_002609.jpg

20220703_003918.jpg